The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Ben Smith saying late on Thurs for Klopp announcement, he'll be coming to Merseyside in the morning to sign the contract - means we can go to work/uni/etc and won't miss the announcement.
Reply 921
Original post by mr tim
Ben Smith saying late on Thurs for Klopp announcement, he'll be coming to Merseyside in the morning to sign the contract - means we can go to work/uni/etc and won't miss the announcement.

What happened to 10am?! Damn now I'm just going to be refreshing for half the day.

Acceptable
Ayre's reaction when he unveils Klopp as our new manager

Christmas is coming early lads! :biggrin:
Perhaps, if Liverpool fired Rodger at the start of the season, Sterling would have stayed put. I guess I'll never know for sure.
Reply 925
Original post by DiceTheSlice
Perhaps, if Liverpool fired Rodger at the start of the season, Sterling would have stayed put. I guess I'll never know for sure.

We were never going to offer him as much money as Man City were willing to.
Sterling was gone. I actually think he'd have left regardless of us finishing in the top four, too. He had made it clear he wanted something else - and good luck to him.

I've just finished Gerrard's book. How many ****ing times does he talk about Mourinho? There's some weird sort of Tyler Durden/Narrator dynamic going on there.
Reply 927
Assuming Klopp is formally appointed today as reported, I'm pleased that we've done it during an international break and so swiftly (Rodgers sacked on Saturday and Klopp in by Thursday).

Looking at our squad, I think all we need in the short term is a quality CM (to partner Henderson) and a quality CB (to partner Sakho) and potentially any other goalkeeper than Mignolet.

We have a decent squad of good players but what we're really lacking is a winning spine.
Original post by Zerforax
We were never going to offer him as much money as Man City were willing to.

Original post by Mackay
Sterling was gone. I actually think he'd have left regardless of us finishing in the top four, too. He had made it clear he wanted something else - and good luck to him.

I've just finished Gerrard's book. How many ****ing times does he talk about Mourinho? There's some weird sort of Tyler Durden/Narrator dynamic going on there.

Didn't his agent say if the manager was replaced then Raheem would sign a contract? Wasn't really impressed with his agent's demands but come to think of it i guess he really did want out.
Reply 929
Didn't his agent say if the manager was replaced then Raheem would sign a contract? Wasn't really impressed with his agent's demands but come to think of it i guess he really did want out.

Source?

Sterling just decided he was bigger than Liverpool and he deserved a bigger contract than we were willing to give.

In many ways he's lucky that Man City stumped up the money to buy him otherwise if he had been forced to stay, he would've gotten a lot of abuse.

It's never good to lose a quality player but we'll get over Sterling much quicker than when we lost players like Gerrard, Alonso, Suarez, Torres etc

I think people get more annoyed about Sterling than someone like Suarez because it feels like Suarez earned his move to Barcelona after an amazing season whereas Liverpool/Rodgers gave Sterling the platform to succeed and kept faith even during his inconsistency and dips but then he didn't stick around to repay that faith. He never would've made it into the Man City squad if he had started there as a youth player.

But hey, there's no loyalty in the modern game either from players or clubs.

Too excited about Klopp and the future to care about past players who barely made a mark on the history books.

Original post by Zerforax
Source?

Sterling just decided he was bigger than Liverpool and he deserved a bigger contract than we were willing to give.

In many ways he's lucky that Man City stumped up the money to buy him otherwise if he had been forced to stay, he would've gotten a lot of abuse.

It's never good to lose a quality player but we'll get over Sterling much quicker than when we lost players like Gerrard, Alonso, Suarez, Torres etc

I think people get more annoyed about Sterling than someone like Suarez because it feels like Suarez earned his move to Barcelona after an amazing season whereas Liverpool/Rodgers gave Sterling the platform to succeed and kept faith even during his inconsistency and dips but then he didn't stick around to repay that faith. He never would've made it into the Man City squad if he had started there as a youth player.

But hey, there's no loyalty in the modern game either from players or clubs.

Too excited about Klopp and the future to care about past players who barely made a mark on the history books.

Sterling and Rodgers have both been pretty clear that their relationship hasn't deteriorated to that extent. I think it was strained, for sure, but they both seem to get along these days and have been very diplomatic in the face of press questions.

I just think it was simple: Sterling felt he could achieve more elsewhere. He's definitely right in the short-term. He made the correct decision. I felt a move to City really suited him. That said, I can see Liverpool's perspective. He is so young.

Given his fledgling years, there's plenty of time for him to make a mark on the CL and European stage. Two more years at Liverpool wouldn't have hurt that.
Klopp loves pressing, Firmino is one of the best pressers in Europe. That's a good match. Moreno is Schmelzer, Clyne Piszcek and Milner is Grosskeutz. Sakho is Hummels. Henderson may be the odd one out. He's not Bender and he's not Sahin or Gundogan. He's definitely not Kagawa/Gotze. Key transfer priorities are a centre mid and a centre back.
O'Driscoll and McAllister set to leave. Always a shame to see the human side of footballing departures. I feel for both of them, as they were brought in mere months ago. Still, Klopp wants his own backroom staff and we must give him that luxury. He works as part of a unit, notoriously, so I have every faith.
Reply 933
Original post by Mackay
O'Driscoll and McAllister set to leave. Always a shame to see the human side of footballing departures. I feel for both of them, as they were brought in mere months ago. Still, Klopp wants his own backroom staff and we must give him that luxury. He works as part of a unit, notoriously, so I have every faith.

The more annoying thing from a selfish club point of view is how much we're having to shell out on compensation to sack all these people.

Presumably the staff that Klopp wants to bring in are still employed by Dortmund? Or did they leave at the same time? Might end up having to buy out their contracts so they can move with him..

The other interesting point is that Rodgers allowed Colin Pascoe and Mike Marsh to be sacked in the summer. I think they worked with Rodgers for a long time? Wonder how that hurt his relationship with them. For example will they refuse to work with him at his next job?

O’Driscoll left the FA to join us and now he's out of a job already too. Painful stuff.
(edited 8 years ago)
Sean O'Driscall, Glen Driscall, Chris Davis to depart, Gary Mac will be offered a new role away from 1st team.
Klopp has signed the contract according to Sky Germany...
Reply 936
Original post by mr tim
Klopp has signed the contract according to Sky Germany...

Reply 937
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34469429

Jurgen Klopp has agreed a three-year deal to become Liverpool manager.

Confirmed!!
Press conference 10am tomorrow.
Reply 939
Original post by difoe
Absolutely over the moon!
A part of me thought this was just a gigantic troll and we'd never be lucky enough to get a manager of true quality here.

No excuses now, this is the first real quality guy we've had in since Benitez so let's hope things start to turn around for us from next season onwards :smile:

The bitterness from other fans is pretty damn sweet too :tongue:

Yea I've been a bit nervous thinking we'd mess it up somehow.

Klopp's biggest strength will be that the owners (who wanted him twice before), the players, the fans and the press all will be backing him to do well.

When there's an agenda from one of those parties, it's tough for any manager in such a high profile job.

Latest