The Student Room Group

Pregnancy and Parenting Society Mark II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hygeia
Hubby would probably be willing but I've found in the past that I can manage my needle phobia better if I'm the one in charge of the needle (I do my own bloods where I can rather than let someone else take them). Might beg for some Ametop/EMLA to start with to get me used to it though :tongue:

Have the joy of GTT coming up before long as well after 20 weeks on steroids + family history of GD, keeping fingers crossed I avoid any more complications though!

Mat leave from mid dec (with 2 weeks annual leave beforehand) so not too long left now (no night shifts but hoping to continue my supernumerary on calls until I finish)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I injected my dalteparin post c-section as my husband was going to do it and then asked me how hard he needed to push it to get it through the skin and I freaked out... I didn't find it that bad but then it was only for a week and I did have a nice numb bit above my scar to go for.
Don't think I could handle injecting myself or letting OH near me with a needle!

We are starting to think about number two.. seem to be broodier now than I have ever been before!

Only 6 weeks until little miss is one :biggrin: but she is full of cold today. Get so worried over minor things as 6 weeks ago a friends, 21 month old passed away. Had a fluy type bug, went for a nap and just never woke up. Heart breaking :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
I refused to inject myself or having anyone do it. Well the first day I was so out of it on anaesthetic and no sleep for 36 hours that when the doctor came in to tell me about it was like "just stick it in me", next day I'd completely forgotten til they came back and said "here's your injection", I was like wtf?! then I slowly started to remember. But I was like noooooo way when she told me I'd need to do ut myself everyday for, I think it was 2 weeks :afraid: They still sent me home with it "just in case I changed my mind". I didn't.
I refused to inject myself or having anyone do it. Well the first day I was so out of it on anaesthetic and no sleep for 36 hours that when the doctor came in to tell me about it I was just like "just stick it in me", next day I'd completely forgotten til they came back and said "here's your injection", I was like wtf?! then I slowly started to remember. But I was like noooooo way when she told me I'd need to do ut myself everyday for, I think it was 2 weeks :afraid: They still sent me home with it "just in case I changed my mind". I didn't.
(edited 8 years ago)
Started on heparin injections yesterday :frown: Took me about 3hrs of building up the courage to do the first one! Hopefully will be able to manage better tonight.

Glucose tolerance test tomorrow which I'm really not looking forward to either... too many needles in my future!

Trying to focus on the positives though - growth scan yesterday showed little one was still measuring perfectly on 50th centile :smile: Despite all my problems, he's still thriving which was a massive relief (especially given I get daily comments on how small I still am!)
Didn't mean to post that anonymously!

Started on heparin injections yesterday Took me about 3hrs of building up the courage to do the first one! Hopefully will be able to manage better tonight.

Glucose tolerance test tomorrow which I'm really not looking forward to either... too many needles in my future!

Trying to focus on the positives though - growth scan yesterday showed little one was still measuring perfectly on 50th centile Despite all my problems, he's still thriving which was a massive relief (especially given I get daily comments on how small I still am!)
I've got a few months before GP would actually refer me and husband to fertility clinic. Thing is we've changed GP few months back and tomorrow I'll just be asking for update on what I should expect when we finally get referred to fertility clinic. Not sure how to start that conversation. Anyone got any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by donutaud15
I've got a few months before GP would actually refer me and husband to fertility clinic. Thing is we've changed GP few months back and tomorrow I'll just be asking for update on what I should expect when we finally get referred to fertility clinic. Not sure how to start that conversation. Anyone got any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends on where you are. Some clinics will do all the investigations after your initial appointment; some (including mine) want a lot of them done via your GP before they see you. You'd need to ask your GP what the local protocol is. I had to have 2 lots of blood tests - if you're having regular cycles it would be one on day 2-5 of your cycle, one on day 21; if not then they can be a bit more flexible - and an ultrasound (abdominal and transvaginal) and a chlamydia swab. My husband had to have a semen analysis done. The clinic would then look at the results of those and if they pick something up, start treatment for that, or if not there might be further bloods and more invasive tests like a laparoscopy or HyCoSy. We were lucky and got given Clomid on my first appointment, just waiting now for my period to start so I can start taking it...

It can all seem to take a very long time in between each step, but I hope your GP is understanding and efficient!
Original post by Anonymous
It depends on where you are. Some clinics will do all the investigations after your initial appointment; some (including mine) want a lot of them done via your GP before they see you. You'd need to ask your GP what the local protocol is. I had to have 2 lots of blood tests - if you're having regular cycles it would be one on day 2-5 of your cycle, one on day 21; if not then they can be a bit more flexible - and an ultrasound (abdominal and transvaginal) and a chlamydia swab. My husband had to have a semen analysis done. The clinic would then look at the results of those and if they pick something up, start treatment for that, or if not there might be further bloods and more invasive tests like a laparoscopy or HyCoSy. We were lucky and got given Clomid on my first appointment, just waiting now for my period to start so I can start taking it...

It can all seem to take a very long time in between each step, but I hope your GP is understanding and efficient!

I had the ultrasound done and they found I have cysts. That's all that was done. My previous GP was nice and understanding but I'm bit nervous with this new GP.

Good luck with the clomid :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hygeia
Didn't mean to post that anonymously!

Started on heparin injections yesterday Took me about 3hrs of building up the courage to do the first one! Hopefully will be able to manage better tonight.

Trying to focus on the positives though - growth scan yesterday showed little one was still measuring perfectly on 50th centile Despite all my problems, he's still thriving which was a massive relief (especially given I get daily comments on how small I still am!)

Well done! :smile: I have a huge phobia too so can only imagine how difficult that was to do.

Yay what a relief :smile:

When is little one due?
Oh blimmin heck.. me again
Due Boxing Day so in the third trimester count down now! Will be elective section probably at 39 weeks though so should be home for Christmas.

Glucose tolerance test fortunately negative - nice to have one less worry there! Have to increase iron intake though as iron stores very low (just not quite anaemic with it yet!)

Only took half an hour to do last nights injection so an improvement at least! Maybe I'll have gotten over my needle phobia once I've done this every day for the next 3 months!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hygeia
Due Boxing Day so in the third trimester count down now! Will be elective section probably at 39 weeks though so should be home for Christmas.

Glucose tolerance test fortunately negative - nice to have one less worry there! Have to increase iron intake though as iron stores very low (just not quite anaemic with it yet!)

Only took half an hour to do last nights injection so an improvement at least! Maybe I'll have gotten over my needle phobia once I've done this every day for the next 3 months!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't know if it would help but I used a cold spray to numb my skin for the first one I did (before I realised I had a massive numb patch above my c-section site.
Original post by randdom
Don't know if it would help but I used a cold spray to numb my skin for the first one I did (before I realised I had a massive numb patch above my c-section site.

Good idea, Probably worth a try! Will see if I can borrow one from work and give it a try (or pick up some deep freeze spray from boots if no luck)! Had been tempted to beg for some ametop/EMLA to help but was so fed up by the time it got to 12:30 that all I wanted to do was go home (my appointment was meant to have been at 10:15...)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hygeia

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oooo, exciting!!! :biggrin:

That's good :smile: Though not so good on the iron front. I don't know if you're taking pregnacare or something similar?
Original post by Sazzy890
Oooo, exciting!!! :biggrin:

That's good :smile: Though not so good on the iron front. I don't know if you're taking pregnacare or something similar?

I tried pregnacare early on and found it made my hyperemesis worse so swapped to just folic acid and vitamin d tablets separately. Might be worth another try now that the hyperemesis is under better control though!

randdom
x

Cold spray does make it more bareable, thank you! Means I just get on with it now rather than procrastinating and putting it off for hours so a definite improvement! Not looking forward to having to do it for the next 10 weeks (+ however long post section they recommend) though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can vitamin d and folic acid deficiency affect conception?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hygeia
I tried pregnacare early on and found it made my hyperemesis worse so swapped to just folic acid and vitamin d tablets separately. Might be worth another try now that the hyperemesis is under better control though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah could be worth trying as I found I had really good iron levels on them :smile: hope it works out for you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't think so but it has been linked to greater risk of spina bifida so it's recommend to take when trying to conceive, but at the very least to take them in pregnancy as early as possible

Folic acid you should ideally be on 3 months before trying to conceive to optimise your body supplies.
(Some women have a certain genetic make up with MTHFR gene differences that means that they don't metabolise it so well from the diet which can be linked with problems conceiving/miscarriages/spina bifida and other foetal abnormalities and need higher than normal doses.)

All women trying to conceive and also while breastfeeding/year post partum are advised to take a vitamin D supplement.
There's some suggestions that deficiency can impair conception or contribute to miscarriages - the recurrent miscarriage clinic I was under advise 2,000 units a day (which is a more usual treatment of deficiency dose than the generic pregnancy advice) preconceptually for all women.

The month I forced myself to sunbathe on holiday too to help boost my levels I released 2 eggs. :rolleyes: :biggrin: </anecdote>

So, another scan today - still two heartbeats in there & measuring 2.5cm from crown to rump (top of head to bottom!) consistent with 9+3 dates.
This is bigger than both of the miscarriages that we'd seen heartbeats for at 8 weeks got to, so I'm really hoping that the medication cocktail is enhancing placental formation & things will continue to progress.... Next scan next Monday with private foetal DNA screening testing.

I've never found pregnacare palatable - but take a seven seas pregnancy vitamin (much smaller & contains iron) then an additional 7 folic acid tablets + 5 folic acid/vit D tablets (& the other steroids/aspirin/omega 3).

Quick Reply

Latest