The Student Room Group

Finish University last year can't find any jobs

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Smack
It's not unheard of. A first class degree doesn't preclude someone from unemployment... in fact your degree classification doesn't have a huge amount to do with securing employment anyway.

i can gurantee someone with a first in electrical engineering would have no trouble finding a job immedietly, nevermind 2 months.
Original post by sebe0062
i can gurantee someone with a first in electrical engineering would have no trouble finding a job immedietly, nevermind 2 months.

Except that, of course, they could well have trouble finding a job because degree classifications really do not mean a whole lot when it comes to employment.
Original post by Smack
Except that, of course, they could well have trouble finding a job because degree classifications really do not mean a whole lot when it comes to employment.

you must have done some pointless ass degree like psychology or sports science, because i can guarantee it does pal
you must have done some pointless ass degree like psychology or sports science, because i can guarantee it does pal

No I did engineering.
Original post by Smack
No I did engineering.

you either failed, have **** communication skills or are lying, because if you did a relevant engineering, such as electrical or mechanical, or civil or chemical.

you'd be in a job straight away
you either failed, have **** communication skills or are lying, because if you did a relevant engineering, such as electrical or mechanical, or civil or chemical.

you'd be in a job straight away

Continue to post nonsense all you want, but for the benefit of others, securing a job is about a lot more than just your degree classification - which is something that a lot of employers really aren't too bothered about providing it's a 2:1 or higher. Your soft skills are as equally important as your technical skills, and you need to consider building up your CV long before graduation to make you a competitive applicant.
Fix the depression - you'll have a hard time persuading anyone to employ you over people that seem more switched on and interested.

Don't be ridiculous, you can't guarantee anything. OP has a BEng rather than an MEng, so will be competing against others with a greater knowledge base and 'better' qualification.

As Smack says in this thread, it's not just about the qualification - soft skills are vital.
(edited 8 years ago)
Was you degree recognised by an institution (IEEE)? You need experience too, that's why you should aim to do a year placement minimum if you do not have an MEng.
Original post by Smack
Continue to post nonsense all you want, but for the benefit of others, securing a job is about a lot more than just your degree classification - which is something that a lot of employers really aren't too bothered about providing it's a 2:1 or higher. Your soft skills are as equally important as your technical skills, and you need to consider building up your CV long before graduation to make you a competitive applicant.

Also for the benefit of anyone reading this and being unsure about the truth of this; yesterday I attended an 'internships panel' held by my university. There was a woman from Network Rail present to enthuse about all of the different opportunities they offer for different degrees and interests. She said explicitly and more than once that she doesn't really care about the classification, but the soft skills. If candidates aren't confident and don't have soft skills then they need to gain them while they're in university to have a chance. Some skills can only be gained through work experience, in which case do some volunteering if you can't get a part time job. And if you aren't willing to make the effort to volunteer then your struggles are your problem.
Original post by sliceofcake
Also for the benefit of anyone reading this and being unsure about the truth of this; yesterday I attended an 'internships panel' held by my university. There was a woman from Network Rail present to enthuse about all of the different opportunities they offer for different degrees and interests. She said explicitly and more than once that she doesn't really care about the classification, but the soft skills. If candidates aren't confident and don't have soft skills then they need to gain them while they're in university to have a chance. Some skills can only be gained through work experience, in which case do some volunteering if you can't get a part time job. And if you aren't willing to make the effort to volunteer then your struggles are your problem.

Nicely put :smile: however degree classification does matter to a certain extent despite what shes saying (otherwise they wouldn't bother asking on application forms if you are predicted a 2.1 or above. Once you have a pool of candidates with 2.1's and 1sts then soft skills come into play to diffirentiate who is the better individual overall. )
Reply 31
Original post by trapking
Nicely put :smile: however degree classification does matter to a certain extent despite what shes saying (otherwise they wouldn't bother asking on application forms if you are predicted a 2.1 or above. Once you have a pool of candidates with 2.1's and 1sts then soft skills come into play to diffirentiate who is the better individual overall. )

Of course, but MOST will have 2.1 or a 1st. That just opens the door, what happens next is down to the individual candidates.
Original post by Smack
No I did engineering.

Which uni did you go to?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending