The Student Room Group

UCAS copycatch system

Is it safe to send someone your PS via email or will it end up on the internet and maybe be in danger of turning up on UCAS's copycatch system as if you copied the whole thing from somewhere else, even though it's actually all your own work.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by snowflake39
Is it safe to send someone your PS via email or will it end up on the internet and maybe be in danger of turning up on UCAS's copycatch system as if you copied the whole thing from somewhere else, even though it's actually all your own work.

I would say be careful who you trust, you never know what might happen.
Original post by snowflake39

Don't send it anywhere near anyone who might also be applying in this round. There are numerous posts over the years on TSR regarding people who send a PS or academic work to a "friend" who then copies and submits it first.
Reply 3
Original post by nulli tertius
Don't send it anywhere near anyone who might also be applying in this round. There are numerous posts over the years on TSR regarding people who send a PS or academic work to a "friend" who then copies and submits it first.

Hi, I wrote my personal statement all by my self but I showed it to 4 people on the student room. Everyone I showed it to was at university. I had direct messaged them. I am getting really worried about ucas' copy catch. What do I do?
Original post by 90780
Hi, I wrote my personal statement all by my self but I showed it to 4 people on the student room. Everyone I showed it to was at university. I had direct messaged them. I am getting really worried about ucas' copy catch. What do I do?

There's no real guarantee that the 4 people you showed your statement too were truly at university. Just because you private messaged them does not mean they can't recreate your personal statement or send it on to other people. Best to refrain from sending your personal statement to people you do not trust over the internet, and rely on family/tutors/teachers and only "friends" you trust.

You can't really do anything until UCAS process your application. If you're worried about their plagiarism check, you won't know anything until they send an email fully confirming that plagiarism has taken place.
Original post by 90780

If the recipients are actually at University and don't show it to their mates who aren't, then there will be no problem.

I assume you have submitted your statement. If so, there is nothing you can do so stop worrying.
Reply 6
Original post by Magnesium
There's no real guarantee that the 4 people you showed your statement too were truly at university. Just because you private messaged them does not mean they can't recreate your personal statement or send it on to other people. Best to refrain from sending your personal statement to people you do not trust over the internet, and rely on family/tutors/teachers and only "friends" you trust.

You can't really do anything until UCAS process your application. If you're worried about their plagiarism check, you won't know anything until they send an email fully confirming that plagiarism has taken place.

I know, it's too late now. But is there anything I can do? I'm getting so much anxiety about it? I really don't want this to happen I worked so hard
Original post by 90780
I know, it's too late now. But is there anything I can do? I'm getting so much anxiety about it? I really don't want this to happen I worked so hard

If you've already submitted it go on to track and click on your application. Then under the personal statement it should come up with no similarities detected
Original post by 90780

There really isn't anything to do. Perhaps talk to your referee or the staff who organise the UCAS admissions about it and see what they say. Has your UCAS already been processed and sent off by your school?
Reply 9
There really isn't anything to do. Perhaps talk to your referee or the staff who organise the UCAS admissions about it and see what they say. Has your UCAS already been processed and sent off by your school?

No , it will be by the end of the month. I'm really getting anxiety. Everyone I messaged I found via TSR stalking page and before I showed them I asked them what their grades were, when they applied etc
Original post by 90780
No , it will be by the end of the month. I'm really getting anxiety. Everyone I messaged I found via TSR stalking page and before I showed them I asked them what their grades were, when they applied etc

Ah I see. There's still no real guarantee though. Best to rewrite some parts of your statements - perhaps there's a way you can improve it.
Reply 11
Ah I see. There's still no real guarantee though. Best to rewrite some parts of your statements - perhaps there's a way you can improve it.

Yeah, I'm asking everyone I messaged now. How much would I have to rewrite to prevent it? I was about 3990 characters?
Original post by 90780
Yeah, I'm asking everyone I messaged now. How much would I have to rewrite to prevent it? I was about 3990 characters?

Honestly I wouldn't know. Just talk to your school administrators, they're the ones that will help you.
Reply 13
If someone did steal it (which I highly doubt) you have proof of emailing it to them
Reply 14
Original post by h3110
If someone did steal it (which I highly doubt) you have proof of emailing it to them

Yeah I have tonnes, I have like 12 drafts of my PS . But I don't know how if it happened who I could prove it to.
Reply 15
Original post by h3110

That's not going to help at all. Unis don't want to get into an argument
Reply 16
Original post by Juno
That's not going to help at all. Unis don't want to get into an argument

I think proving that you were the original creator of the PS will help a lot
Reply 17
Original post by h3110
I think proving that you were the original creator of the PS will help a lot

But you can't prove that.

If I email mine to you, you could then email it to Bob and then show ucas that email as "proof"
Reply 18
Original post by Juno
But you can't prove that.

If I email mine to you, you could then email it to Bob and then show ucas that email as "proof"

Yeah but i have all my drafts which shows how i was working on it and i kept showing my teachers. What would you do if you were me?
Reply 19
Original post by 90780
Yeah but i have all my drafts which shows how i was working on it and i kept showing my teachers. What would you do if you were me?

Personally, I'd stop arguing with someone who has been reviewing personal statements for 10 years.

Quick Reply