The Student Room Group

I'm worried about AS Spanish

Basically, I recently started my AS and I'm finding Spanish hard. Like harder than I think I should be. I got an A at GCSE (could've been an A* if it wasn't for my coursework) and I literally managed to sail through my GCSE Spanish without revision, no problem.

NOWWWW, at AS I feel like I have never done Spanish before and half of the work just seems like gibberish to me. I really do enjoy Spanish and have no plan to drop it, but I'm worried that it'll eventually drop me.

Is there any help/advice anyone could offer me on how to get back into my stride because I thought that since I hadn't spoken Spanish for like three months (cause I'd finished school and exams), that I just had to get back into the swing of things and I'd be okay. But it's been 5 weeks and I'm still struggling to get my foot in the ground and regain my stride.

What sort of things could I do to help me improve my Spanish and to aid me in understanding AS Level Spanish to a high standard? Are there any websites you would recommend? I would appreciate anything at this stage, I'm desperate! :frown:

Thanks in advance

Scroll to see replies

Original post by djdylan99
Basically, I recently started my AS and I'm finding Spanish hard. Like harder than I think I should be. I got an A at GCSE (could've been an A* if it wasn't for my coursework) and I literally managed to sail through my GCSE Spanish without revision, no problem.

NOWWWW, at AS I feel like I have never done Spanish before and half of the work just seems like gibberish to me. I really do enjoy Spanish and have no plan to drop it, but I'm worried that it'll eventually drop me.

Is there any help/advice anyone could offer me on how to get back into my stride because I thought that since I hadn't spoken Spanish for like three months (cause I'd finished school and exams), that I just had to get back into the swing of things and I'd be okay. But it's been 5 weeks and I'm still struggling to get my foot in the ground and regain my stride.

What sort of things could I do to help me improve my Spanish and to aid me in understanding AS Level Spanish to a high standard? Are there any websites you would recommend? I would appreciate anything at this stage, I'm desperate! :frown:

Thanks in advance

I'm now doing spanish A2, and I got an A in my AS. It's basically just about immersing yourself in it. So like with vocab any new vocab write it all in a book and look over it frequently maybe even test yourself. So any worksheets you get highlight words you don't know and define them, and put them in a book. I always do my definitions in pink highlighter just so I know and then other key info in like green etc. All of it should be copied into the book and learnt.
Then make sure you know verb tenses of course.
Also, it's about reading/listening more. So read articles online or when watching movies or tv put on spanish subtitles and if you hear any cool idioms write em down like I learnt are you kidding me is me tomas el pelo
Etc
And yeah just love it speak it listen to music in spanish it's all about learning and building vocab x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also for the topics you do when you've done it make a mind map with loads of info on it that you could transfer into essays like set amazing sentences using subjunctive etc maybe a few facts and figures even? If mind maps don't work, do revision notes on a4 paper xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I'll definitely do that! That was really helpful thanks!
Question: How did you find the transition from GCSE to AS?
Original post by djdylan99
I'll definitely do that! That was really helpful thanks!
Question: How did you find the transition from GCSE to AS?

Personally, I can't quite remember but I don't think it was massive. That's cause I liked spanish a lot at gcse I guess and also I did igcse and I think in normal gcse you like learn your essay type thing or oral off by heart so you aren't as prepared for as level whereas in igcse it was much more about actually learning to speak freehand. But yeah its all about building on vocab x

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think learning vocabulary is very important. I'll attach AS Level vocab in this message. My exam board was AQA, so please note that this is AQA vocabulary. Also, do as many past papers as possible and read articles on www.bbc.com/mundo .You can also listen to Spanish radio stations on the internet, completely free of charge. x
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by R2497
I think learning vocabulary is very important. I'll attach AS Level vocab in this message. My exam board was AQA, so please note that this is AQA vocabulary. Also, do as many past papers as possible and read articles on www.bbc.com/mundo .You can also listen to Spanish radio stations on the internet, completely free of charge. x

Do you have A2 vocab? X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by falloutboyyy
Do you have A2 vocab? X

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I do. Would you like it? :smile:
Reply 8
Hola. Created an account so that I could reply to this :smile: I'm doing three foreign language AS' at the moment, so in the same position as you and feel the same way! Can't swap my options around, I love languages but really not sure I'm capable of doing three.:frown: In general I think that I understand stuff... but it already feels like the speaking exam is so soon. Once I have some free time, I plan to go over grammar for Spanish and my other languages, because although it can be tedious to learn vocab, it's not that bad, and grammar is what I find the most difficult. I hope that you begin to feel better about Spanish soon!
Original post by R2497
Yes, I do. Would you like it? :smile:

I'd appreciate it a lot :smile: thanks x
Original post by falloutboyyy
I'd appreciate it a lot :smile: thanks x

I'll attach the vocabulary documents in this message. Good luck with your A Levels! :smile: x
Original post by Naranja
Hola. Created an account so that I could reply to this :smile: I'm doing three foreign language AS' at the moment, so in the same position as you and feel the same way! Can't swap my options around, I love languages but really not sure I'm capable of doing three.:frown: In general I think that I understand stuff... but it already feels like the speaking exam is so soon. Once I have some free time, I plan to go over grammar for Spanish and my other languages, because although it can be tedious to learn vocab, it's not that bad, and grammar is what I find the most difficult. I hope that you begin to feel better about Spanish soon!

Stick with it!! I did A Levels in French, German and Spanish and got ABB at AS Level and BBC overall in my A Levels. You are capable, you've just got to believe in yourself. :smile: Good luck! x
Hey! I'm also doing A2 AQA Spanish (A at AS) and I had the exact same feelings as you, GCSE was so pre-learnt and scripted that key grammar and actual language practice was lacking.

So, I recommend arranging a time where you and your teacher are free just to have a conversation - it'll improve fluency and pronunciation.

All of @falloutboyyy's tips are very good too, definitely follow them. To familiarise yourself with colloquial Spanish, and their speed, watch TV programmes and Spanish news. Also, read papers like El Pais for good opinions when it comes to the essay and speaking and for formal register.

Thanks @R2497 for the helpful vocab!!!!:biggrin:

Hope I've helped :smile:
Original post by harina10
Hey! I'm also doing A2 AQA Spanish (A at AS) and I had the exact same feelings as you, GCSE was so pre-learnt and scripted that key grammar and actual language practice was lacking.

So, I recommend arranging a time where you and your teacher are free just to have a conversation - it'll improve fluency and pronunciation.

All of @falloutboyyy's tips are very good too, definitely follow them. To familiarise yourself with colloquial Spanish, and their speed, watch TV programmes and Spanish news. Also, read papers like El Pais for good opinions when it comes to the essay and speaking and for formal register.

Thanks @R2497 for the helpful vocab!!!!:biggrin:

Hope I've helped :smile:

No problem! Good luck with your A Levels! :smile: x
Hi! I've just started aS edexcel Spanish and tbh I'm struggling with it atm. I'm doing ok grade-wise but I just feel like I've started a new language! Definitely jumping in at the deep end hahah
--
(edited 8 years ago)
i wouldnt worry too much, im doing AS spanish too currently and have been told we should only understand around 40-50% (of the reading, but i guess it applies to everything) as they dont expect us to know everything, just so you can get the gist of the context.

ps, any help/tips are appreciated, especially with tenses (in particular, subjunctive. i know how to use it but not sure when/why!)
Mate honestly drop it, I did Chemistry ,Physics, Maths and Spanish for AS and got AAAC. Unless you enjoy the subject I would seriously consider not doing it. I wish I had dropped it when I had the chance.
Spanish is serious work, it's not something you can just half-ass like other subjects. Languages are probably the biggest step up from GCSE to AS. I got 4 As at AS and I'm predicted 4 A*s this year, but I still got a C at AS Spanish. I really wish I'd dropped it for something easier like Biology.
Original post by Rainbowcorn
i wouldnt worry too much, im doing AS spanish too currently and have been told we should only understand around 40-50% (of the reading, but i guess it applies to everything) as they dont expect us to know everything, just so you can get the gist of the context.

ps, any help/tips are appreciated, especially with tenses (in particular, subjunctive. i know how to use it but not sure when/why!)

Subjunctive is used to express the following - WEIRDO - Google it

Learn set triggers like es necesario que etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending