The Student Room Group

Want to re-apply, please help.

xyz
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump
Original post by SB0073
I'm currently studying Physics at The University of Warwick. I have been on my course for a week and I'm certain I want to leave. My A-Level grades are A*AB in Maths, Chemistry and Physics.I want to change my course re-apply through UCAS. I want to study Economics hopefully at one of the following institutions, UCL, Durham, Nottingham, Bristol and Bath. During my time out I plan to take up Further maths. I have to hopes of going into IB/Consultancy. I have no idea how to begin the process or if its worth it. Would it be worth leaving and do I stand a chance in getting offers from the universities stated above. How would I begin the leaving process and how would my student finance be affected.
Would I be disadvantaged in my application?

With A*AB you don't meet the standard requirements for UCL, Durham, Nottingham, Bristol and Bath which is A*AA at most unis apart from Nottingham where its A*AA-AAA, and no A*AB is not equivalent to AAA. Although Bristol do give out AAB offers for those who are underprivileged if you meet the criteria though. So it would be very foolish to quit your current course to apply for the uni's you've mentioned - one or two maybe as high risk choices, but most should be unis you meet or exceed the requirements for.
Reply 3
What if I sat Further Maths and Economics during my year out? Would this be considered
Reply 4
Original post by jelly1000
With A*AB you don't meet the standard requirements for UCL, Durham, Nottingham, Bristol and Bath which is A*AA at most unis apart from Nottingham where its A*AA-AAA, and no A*AB is not equivalent to AAA. Although Bristol do give out AAB offers for those who are underprivileged if you meet the criteria though. So it would be very foolish to quit your current course to apply for the uni's you've mentioned - one or two maybe as high risk choices, but most should be unis you meet or exceed the requirements for.

What if I sat Further Maths and Economics during my year out? Would this be considered
Why do you want to leave?
Original post by SB0073

You'd need to email admissions and ask if they would consider A-Levels taken in more than 2 years
Reply 7
Original post by jelly1000
You'd need to email admissions and ask if they would consider A-Levels taken in more than 2 years

Despite being to completely new A-Levels? Ok. Would me have gone to University or a week impact my application and put me at a disadvantage?
Warwick is very highly desired for IB too - more so than some of those you mentioned. Not sure why you'd want to leave Warwick...
Original post by SB0073
Despite being to completely new A-Levels? Ok. Would me have gone to University or a week impact my application and put me at a disadvantage?

You having already been to uni for a bit shouldn't matter, but a few of the select unis like the required grades to be achieved in 2 years to show that you can handle the workload. Certainly a while ago UCL said grades not achieved in 2 years wouldn't make for competitive application but you need to email and see what their current policy is now.
Email them up tbh!If you do get A*s/A's in Further Maths and Economics,you can try to get into UCL etc. via adjustment(this again depends on places left)
Reply 11
Original post by Skill Twix
Email them up tbh!If you do get A*s/A's in Further Maths and Economics,you can try to get into UCL etc. via adjustment(this again depends on places left)

Hi is it possible to re-apply whilst at university? Would I be disadvantaged.
Original post by SB0073
Hi is it possible to re-apply whilst at university? Would I be disadvantaged.

Email them up!Are you doing the first year of uni or are you dropping out?
Reply 13
Email them up!Are you doing the first year of uni or are you dropping out?

As of right now I'm currently on the course, I'm considering leaving.
Reply 14
xyx
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SB0073
As of right now I'm currently on the course, I'm considering leaving.

Not sure tbh!Most unis will only consider you if you are doing your A levels again(to meet their requirements)
UCL,Durham are pretty competitive places tbh
Email them
Original post by SB0073
There were extenuating circumstances during my exams.

In that case they might be more lenient, but as I said you would need to check with admissions
Look OP.Mention your extenuating circumstances in your reference.
You've got great grades.They can be better only if you work hard.Email those unis(I am telling you this is useful)
Get A*s/A's in your new subjects!
Tell the unis your grades from GCSEs to A levels and your circumstances
Mention your ECs.
I go to Nottingham and study Natural Sciences.
Offer was A*AA but cause I told them my ECs I got in with AABB.
Worth a try

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Look OP.Mention your extenuating circumstances in your reference.
You've got great grades.They can be better only if you work hard.Email those unis(I am telling you this is useful)
Get A*s/A's in your new subjects!
Tell the unis your grades from GCSEs to A levels and your circumstances

Would I have to get a new reference from my original sixth form tutor? I shall email them immediately. Thanks for your quick response.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending