The Student Room Group

LNAT preparation help! Oxford applicant

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, feel free to correct me

My LNAT is on Wednesday (5 days from now!), and due to stress of coursework, essays, UCAS, EPQ and other things, I've done very very little in the way of LNAT preparation. I know how bad this is! I know it's really late to start revision, but I really need any kind of advice from people who've done the LNAT recently. I'm going to do both the practice tests on the LNAT website and try to read up on current affairs and stuff. I'm pretty good at essay writing already but obviously I'll do some essay practice too. Is there anything else I can do? Anything specific I should be reading or doing to help me? I really need a good LNAT score, since I'm applying to Oxford on pretty below-average GCSEs, and predicted only A*AA at level

Any help would be really appreciated!!
I've done my LNAT yesterday lass and the only thing I'll recommend is to go on to the LNAT website and do the 2 past papers under timed conditions and have a bash at writing a few essays - get your English teacher to check them and give you tips. It's all you need, trust me - I didn't read one newspaper for the past month and I though the test went pretty well (hopefully). In any case, all the best to you!

P.S what LNAT Uni are you applying to?
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
I've done my LNAT yesterday lass and the only thing I'll recommend is to go on to the LNAT website and do the 2 past papers under timed conditions and have a bash at writing a few essays - get your English teacher to check them and give you tips. It's all you need, trust me - I didn't read one newspaper for the past month and I though the test went pretty well (hopefully). In any case, all the best to you!

P.S what LNAT Uni are you applying to?

Applying to Oxford and King's with the LNAT, Exeter, Reading and Kent without it. So you would say the essay questions didn't require immediate or detailed knowledge of any current affairs? Obviously you can't tell me what came up but are you sure I won't need to look at the newspaper? Glad yours went well, what unis did you apply to?
Original post by chloetraynor
Applying to Oxford and King's with the LNAT, Exeter, Reading and Kent without it. So you would say the essay questions didn't require immediate or detailed knowledge of any current affairs? Obviously you can't tell me what came up but are you sure I won't need to look at the newspaper? Glad yours went well, what unis did you apply to?

You don't, but you have to be able to come up with a set of points to support your stances on general controversial issues.

And I'm applying to Oxbridge, UCL, KCL, Exeter and Cardiff, albeit next year.

Ser Alex, nice to meet you :biggrin:
Original post by chloetraynor
Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, feel free to correct me

My LNAT is on Wednesday (5 days from now!), and due to stress of coursework, essays, UCAS, EPQ and other things, I've done very very little in the way of LNAT preparation. I know how bad this is! I know it's really late to start revision, but I really need any kind of advice from people who've done the LNAT recently. I'm going to do both the practice tests on the LNAT website and try to read up on current affairs and stuff. I'm pretty good at essay writing already but obviously I'll do some essay practice too. Is there anything else I can do? Anything specific I should be reading or doing to help me? I really need a good LNAT score, since I'm applying to Oxford on pretty below-average GCSEs, and predicted only A*AA at level

Any help would be really appreciated!!

1) Do any practice tests you can find under timed conditions. At this stage, there's no time to improve on language or comprehension skills at such short notice, so focus on time management.

2) For the essay, make sure you have a go at writing a few as well. The idea is that you want to be succinct, logical, and coherent. Every sentence should count, especially since there's a word limit (at least back when I did the test) and not a lot of time to write. Having a good structure is extremely important, as is attention to the question being asked. Answer the question that you are given, not the one you think ought to have been given. Make sure you leave sufficient time to proof read - poor grammar and silly mistakes (eg spelling) detract from the quality of an essay.

Good luck!
Reply 5
About the MCQ:

When you get in, you'll be given a white board. I'd strongly suggest that you divide each text and allocate time to it (ie text 1 until 88mins, text 2 until 80mins etc). This will not only help you keep track - it'll also prevent you from having a mid-text crisis on whether you have enough time.

Secondly, do NOT read the text analytically - skim read it. You basically have 8 mins to read each text and answer its questions - you can't afford to extend this. When reading the questions, always refer back to the text and never rely on what you yourself think (for all you know, the author may be wrong yet the question will ask for something on what she or he said).

Finally, be prepared for all kinds of texts. Some will be very factual and concise, some will be very literary and full of complex structures, some will be narrative and etc. Pay attention to that because it is what is being tested after all.

About the essay:

Before choosing your topic, ensure that you have 3-4 arguments for it. Do NOT get excited by one topic only to find half-way through that you don't have enough arguments.

The structure is pretty typical and you'll have written many such essays probably.

The intro should be snappy, introducing the topic and your position. The body pars should elaborate that position with examples or thorough analysis and the conclusion should also be very snappy and of course not contain any new arguments.

Best of luck!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by *Stefan*
About the MCQ:

When you get in, you'll be given a white board. I'd strongly suggest that you divide each text and allocate time to it (ie text 1 until 88mins, text 2 until 80mins etc). This will not only help you keep track - it'll also prevent you from having a mid-text crisis on whether you have enough time.

Secondly, do NOT read the text analytically - skim read it. You basically have 8 means to read each text and answer its questions - you can't afford to extend this. When reading the questions, always refer back to the text and never rely on what you yourself think (for all you know, the author may am wrong yet the question will ask something on what she or he said).

Finally, be prepared for all kinds of texts. Some will be very factual and concise, some will be very literary and full of complex structures, some will be narrative and etc. Pay attention to that because it is what is being tested after all.

About the essay:

Before choosing your topic, ensure that you 3-4 arguments for it. Do NOT get excited by one topic only to find half-way through that you don't have enough arguments.

The structure is pretty typical and you'll have written many such essays probably.

The intro should be snappy, introducing the topic and your position. The body pars should elaborate that position with examples or thorough analysis and the conclusion should also be very snappy and of course not contain any new arguments.

Best of luck!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow this is very helpful, thank you! I just did a timed practice of the whole LNAT including essay. I got a score of 26 but I had 20 minutes to spare, as I was rushing and hadn't planned out my timings. Also great advice on skim reading, I read the first one analytically, then realised that the questions didn't call for it and I could've easily just gone back and skimmed for the answers

Thanks!

update: Just did another and scored 32!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by mishieru07
1) Do any practice tests you can find under timed conditions. At this stage, there's no time to improve on language or comprehension skills at such short notice, so focus on time management.

2) For the essay, make sure you have a go at writing a few as well. The idea is that you want to be succinct, logical, and coherent. Every sentence should count, especially since there's a word limit (at least back when I did the test) and not a lot of time to write. Having a good structure is extremely important, as is attention to the question being asked. Answer the question that you are given, not the one you think ought to have been given. Make sure you leave sufficient time to proof read - poor grammar and silly mistakes (eg spelling) detract from the quality of an essay.

Good luck!

Thank you! I had 20mins to spare in my first timed practice since I hadn't planned out how long to take on each question and basically rushed a bit. I got a score of 26, I'm not sure how good or bad that is in relation to successful Oxford and King's applicants, but nonetheless I'll just keep working on it!

update: Just did another and scored 32!
(edited 8 years ago)
Got mine tomorrow. I am a Big Man so i aint scared innit, My line is kicking off so i goto do the LNAT then go buss a few quick shots then goto do a madting
Original post by Coolstoryman
Got mine tomorrow. I am a Big Man so i aint scared innit, My line is kicking off so i goto do the LNAT then go buss a few quick shots then goto do a madting

coolstoryman, Coolstoryman
madting madting madting

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending