The Student Room Group

Article: The secret to getting into uni…even if you miss your grades

Check you out at graduation! :ahee:
Reply 2
These days even just turning up for your visit days - I showed up for both the initial and the follow up; they both ended up very similar but it earned me enough 'brownie points' to make up for that B that should have been an A.
Amazing! Given me alot of hope
Reply 4
Great success story.
This was really inspiring thank you! :cute: I'm now more confident to get on with my as levels and apply to any uni I want. I actually discarded a lot of unis with the fear that I wouldn't even make it past stage one of the application process but I think I'll now go for it taking your advice into consideration
Reply 6
Original post by a noble chance
What reason do you have to believe that attending visit days eased your entry?
They were keeping track of who was attending the visit days -before we started the tour etc there was a registration area to say who you were and what course you were thinking of doing. I also spoke to one of the lecturers who said something along the lines of "turning up to the visit days shows (you have) genuine interest in the course, which is attractive over someone who may just put down the course because it sounds cool."

There are other things as well, such as having a personal statement that stands out from the crowd -and you've heard this one before.

Talking to the lectures and asking genuine questions, if you are unsure about whether you will get a place - share those worries.
I managed to get a conditional offer for a course that required ABBB when my results from the previous year were BCDD. I like to think that I got the offer because of the time I spent speaking to the lecturers, and the quality of my statement.

The other thing to do is to spend time talking to your teachers about problems you have - even if you can solve them on your own. Simple things like this can show them that "you are a hard worker" and really help boost your reference. So even if you don't get the grades - your uni should know that you at least worked with the intent of getting them.

I did get in to the course I mentioned - my final grades were BBBBCCDD (of 2 sittings) and the course wanted ABBB (first sitting) - so do not give up hope!
Original post by Slowbro93
Check you out at graduation! :ahee:

A little embarrassing :blush: such an unflattering outfit :lol:

Original post by meganwalker
Amazing! Given me alot of hope

I'm so glad. Work hard and believe in yourself and you'll achieve everything you want :heart:

Original post by subtilis
Great success story.

Thank you :smile: I'm really glad I've finally had the opportunity to share it. I hope it helps a lot of students :h:
Original post by JustARandomer
This was really inspiring thank you! :cute: I'm now more confident to get on with my as levels and apply to any uni I want. I actually discarded a lot of unis with the fear that I wouldn't even make it past stage one of the application process but I think I'll now go for it taking your advice into consideration

This has made my day :hugs: Thank you so much for letting me know. Wishing you so much luck - be fearless. You must keep me posted, I would love to hear how you get on with your application. Good luck :h:

Original post by Anroca
They were keeping track of who was attending the visit days -before we started the tour etc there was a registration area to say who you were and what course you were thinking of doing. I also spoke to one of the lecturers who said something along the lines of "turning up to the visit days shows (you have) genuine interest in the course, which is attractive over someone who may just put down the course because it sounds cool."

There are other things as well, such as having a personal statement that stands out from the crowd -and you've heard this one before.

Talking to the lectures and asking genuine questions, if you are unsure about whether you will get a place - share those worries.
I managed to get a conditional offer for a course that required ABBB when my results from the previous year were BCDD. I like to think that I got the offer because of the time I spent speaking to the lecturers, and the quality of my statement.

The other thing to do is to spend time talking to your teachers about problems you have - even if you can solve them on your own. Simple things like this can show them that "you are a hard worker" and really help boost your reference. So even if you don't get the grades - your uni should know that you at least worked with the intent of getting them.

I did get in to the course I mentioned - my final grades were BBBBCCDD (of 2 sittings) and the course wanted ABBB (first sitting) - so do not give up hope!

:awesome::awesome:

Brilliant - that's so great to hear and will give a lot of students applying to uni a whole new perspective on how valuable open days can be :smile: Congrats on getting into your uni, I really hope you're loving it and it was all worth it :smile:
Reply 9
Well done! This just shows how nothing can stop you if you put the hard work and determination in :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest