The Student Room Group

Raf oasc 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anderson134353
What is the average wait to hear back after you have completed OASC?

Some people have said that they have been called up within 5 days of completion saying they have a place.

Hey,

You will usually hear something within 2 weeks with either an offer, further consideration or rejection. Hopefully an offer or a further consideration (sift) for you. The sift can be an agonising wait! Some people can be in this for up to 9 months!
Original post by El13
just curious, was it 2.4km run or bleep test? I've got my OASC fairly soon and I'm terrified! Any chance you could say roughly which exercises were on which day in terms of leadership/group discussions/medical/interview/fitness???

Hi,

The Fitness test is a bleep test which is tested on the second day. The 2.4KM run is done on the familirisation visit if you are offered a place on IOT.

There are lots of threads with waht to expect on t OASC and to be honest they are fairly accurate to what I experianced recently.

Try not to worry, if you have prepped well enough you will be fine.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Judooka
Hey,

You will usually hear something within 2 weeks with either an offer, further consideration or rejection. Hopefully an offer or a further consideration (sift) for you. The sift can be an agonising wait! Some people can be in this for up to 9 months!

Thanks. Are you informed via letter? A few people have said they were called up if they were successful.

So I guess passing the exercise phase, fitness test and doing okay on the interview, and with good CBAT scores should put someone in a competitive position for a place?
I have my OASC in December now, imagine getting that phone call before Christmas..
Original post by Anderson134353
Thanks. Are you informed via letter? A few people have said they were called up if they were successful.

So I guess passing the exercise phase, fitness test and doing okay on the interview, and with good CBAT scores should put someone in a competitive position for a place?

I was informed by an email initially saying I was on a list for further consideration. 2 weeks after that I got an email offering me a place on IOT. Some people get a call, it all depends on how close you are to the next intake when you go through OASC. Regarding competitiveness, it goes without saying you will need t do well in all areas, however; the board give nothing away LOL! Good luck :smile:
Original post by Charfredo
I have my OASC in December now, imagine getting that phone call before Christmas..

Ha - good XMAS pressie. The next intake is in the new year sometime so I reckon quite possible.
Original post by Judooka
Ha - good XMAS pressie. The next intake is in the new year sometime so I reckon quite possible.

You wouldn't have enough time to fit in a fam visit for the Jan intake, unless they told you at OASC that you were successful and were on the fam the following week. Depends how under-subscribed IOT 44 is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 207
Hi,

I've got my OASC end of this month. Can anyone clarify what tasks your given in the hangar exercises. Is it something like you have to get from A to B but can't touch the floor etc??.

Also my SDT aren't great so for the planning exercises is it mainly time questions they ask you? For example Mr X is travelling at 4mph over 10 miles and you have to work out how long it takes?? Or are there more distance/ speed calculations over time. How did everyone write there plans out on there notes so they were easy to read by the officers??.

If anyone can answer any of these questions I'd be really grateful!!

Thanks (=
Hi,
I've done it, passed it and got to Welbeck. Don't worry about the hanger, they're just your standard command tasks. Everyone basically gets a turn to lead where they have to formulate a plan and give a briefing based on instructions from the boarding officer (that your team don't get to hear).

As for the planning exercises they're piss easy and just about common sense. 0 calculations required other than adding times. The SDT is just GCSE level maths and physics apart from the cognitive abilities bit which you can't prepare for.

Word of advice. Learn about current ops, learn about NATO (every member state), and practise interviews. Turn up in a suit. Enjoy yourself during downtime (we all played cards against humanity) and enjoy yourself!

You'll do great!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 209
Thanks Hughesjs, luckily I don't have to do the aptitude tests only the planning exercises so common sense I can do, I think. I've been researching current ops but the RAF website say's Afghanistan (Which I thought we'd pulled out of?), Iraq and Libya. Is there anywhere else we are currently operating or a different website stating where the RAF are that i'm missing?. Thanks for all your help!
Reply 210
Anybody going on the 7th November?
Original post by M.F.C
Thanks Hughesjs, luckily I don't have to do the aptitude tests only the planning exercises so common sense I can do, I think. I've been researching current ops but the RAF website say's Afghanistan (Which I thought we'd pulled out of?), Iraq and Libya. Is there anywhere else we are currently operating or a different website stating where the RAF are that i'm missing?. Thanks for all your help!

Syria should be number 1 on your list (Op Shader), I would expect questions regarding Russia becoming involved.

Also the fact were are bolstering eastern European countries air defence again due to Russia's recent military behaviour.

We still have guys in Afghan/Iraq and I don't see that changing any time soon.
Anyone attended OASC recently and heard some news?
Was you on the fitness test on Thursday?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was meant to be at OASC today but due to work commitments I had to change them - gives me 2 more months to prepare. Did anyone have an issue with their employers regarding time off?
Reply 215
Original post by Charfredo
I was meant to be at OASC today but due to work commitments I had to change them - gives me 2 more months to prepare. Did anyone have an issue with their employers regarding time off?

When's your new date? I'm Jan 5th
Original post by El13
When's your new date? I'm Jan 5th

I'm 8th of December - apparently the last OASC of the year. I feel like i'm not doing enough to prepare.
Original post by Bflt3020iff
Was you on the fitness test on Thursday?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes it was. You going logs?
Reply 218
Original post by B23V
Anybody going on the 7th November?

I am going on the 8th, good luck bud!
Reply 219
I'm on the 8th too. After two date changes! Third time lucky eh?!

Quick Reply

Latest