The Student Room Group

Air Power

I've got OASC coming up in December and I've been confused on how much I need to know for when they ask questions about Air Power.

Could anyone help me about what topics I should cover when researching Air Power? I've read the RAF Website but I'm still confused!
Reply 1
What are you confused about?
Reply 2
The Air Power element will be a very broad brush....What is the definition, fundamentals/key roles etc. If youjust quote the RAF verbatim answer, they will ask you to explain it as thoughyou were explaining to a 10 year old. So ensure you have an actualunderstanding. Once they are happy you have a 'broad brush', they willmove on.
If you are an ex ranker, they might ask you what aircraft wehave that cover different parts of the key roles etc etc.....Hope this helps a little?
�Dfʚy^P
Look into the pillars of air power and also the characteristics. Look at how the RAF use their aircraft to employ these characteristics.

EG. voyager = height and speed etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bflt3020iff
Look into the pillars of air power and also the characteristics. Look at how the RAF use their aircraft to employ these characteristics.

EG. voyager = height and speed etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a little bit too in detail, I'd be amazed if they asked things like that.

They normally expect you to understand what the characteristics (or when you do BAWC on IOT the FRAPs... Ha!) are, and when you talk about capabilities they may ask what units/ a/c provide that (Waddo, ISTAR, sentry/rivet joint/sentinel etc).

I recall the air power being fairly short, I was asked more about NATO, but they may have been because when I spoke about units and a/c I made a huge point of mentioning anything air power related that I knew in the hope they wouldn't ask me more on the subject.

They should've given you an air power booklet? Just learn and understand what each capability and characteristic is, in its simplest, shortest definition, and you'll be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Anyone know where I can get the Air Power booklet? I don't know where to look to find any sort of detail, I was given nothing by my AFCO as the officer's opinion was we should find everything for ourselves.
Reply 6
You don't need the Air Power book in my opinion. There are so many sources on the Internet you can get most of the things you will need there. Have you tried the RAF website?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KN94
Anyone know where I can get the Air Power booklet? I don't know where to look to find any sort of detail, I was given nothing by my AFCO as the officer's opinion was we should find everything for ourselves.

They used to give out a photocopied air power essay but I guess they've stopped now.

Chapter 3 is a start

http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafcms/mediafiles/9E435312_5056_A318_A88F14CF6F4FC6CE.pdf

And Google the fundamentals of air power. Keep your knowledge base simple, don't go too deep! Just understand the capabilities/roles (same thing) and the characteristics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I've been through a couple times now. Questions are usually:

In your own words, What is Air Power?
What are the three characteristics of Air Power?

I don't remember them going into any more information than that. I've copy pasted my notes from my interview prep below. I'm pretty sure its copied off the RAF Site somewhere, but they've updated it a little recently.

"The ability to project power from the air and space to influence the behaviour of people or the course of events".
Characteristics of Air Power
Air power has three main characteristics:

Speed: The rapid arrival and build-up of aircraft near or in troublespots provides a visible sign of presence and intent. Modern air operations are also extremely flexible and can be switched between attack, defence and support depending on the needs of the moment.

Height: Air power is less vulnerable to enemy fire when compared with land and sea forces. The higher you can remain whilst achieving a given objective, the better.

Reach: Air operations can also be conducted from bases far away from the opponent's military forces. During Operation Allied Force, for example, RAF Tornados operated from their home base in Germany and attacked targets in Kosovo. These missions were supported by in-flight refuelling.These characteristics can be combined to increase the effectiveness of air operations. For example, reconnaissance requires reach and height for high-level missions while transport aircraft use speed and reach to move force and equipment rapidly from home bases to deployed operations.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest