The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by notyous
I am, going to apply for univ :tongue:, what are you using to prepare?

The BMAT is going to be the end of me :frown: not really sure how to approach it yet
wbu?
Original post by emem2011
I applied to St John's, I love it there :biggrin: I'm so nervous, I've already convinced myself I have no chance but I really want to get an interview haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aw yeah, St John's is so lovely :biggrin:
Hahah, I'm sure you have a chance xD you wouldn't be applying if you didn't :wink:
What are your stats and what other universities are you applying to? :h:
I'm finding it really difficult too, it's so tough because it's really in depth GCSE knowledge🙈 I'm just practising questions right now and trying to find a technique
Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you thought about going to any of the bmat courses available?
I'm thinking of going to the AceMedicine one but it's really expensive, or another new one i've head of from facebook called AspireMed BMAT Course, but this one is only £20 so i'm not sure about the quality
any other course you recommed?
I just love Oxford in general! I know there's a really small chance of me getting in but I had to take the risk haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hah exactly the same here!
Original post by thechemistress
Aw yeah, St John's is so lovely :biggrin:
Hahah, I'm sure you have a chance xD you wouldn't be applying if you didn't :wink:
What are your stats and what other universities are you applying to? :h:

I really hope so, I went on the UNIQ summer school week and loved it so much so here's hoping I have the slightest chance.
My stats are 14A* at GCSE, predicted A*A*A* (Biology, Chemistry and English) at A Level. My BMAT is likely to go horrible and I come from a state school which is in a deprived area so hopefully when they compare my stats against my area that will help me slightly.

I've also applied to Cardiff, Bristol and Glasgow :smile: I just hope all of my extra curricular are good enough too!

How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zarabadoma
Have you thought about going to any of the bmat courses available?
I'm thinking of going to the AceMedicine one but it's really expensive, or another new one i've head of from facebook called AspireMed BMAT Course, but this one is only £20 so i'm not sure about the quality
any other course you recommed?

The really expensive courses aren't really an option for me, and to be honest I think I'm just going to try my best off my own back :biggrin: I'm using the books and doing practice tests so hopefully that will be enough!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I really hope so, I went on the UNIQ summer school week and loved it so much so here's hoping I have the slightest chance.
My stats are 14A* at GCSE, predicted A*A*A* (Biology, Chemistry and English) at A Level. My BMAT is likely to go horrible and I come from a state school which is in a deprived area so hopefully when they compare my stats against my area that will help me slightly.

I've also applied to Cardiff, Bristol and Glasgow :smile: I just hope all of my extra curricular are good enough too!

How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Holy crappppppppppp. 14A*s coming from a deprived area is likely to put you in a very VERY good position xD xD
Did you not do the UKCAT?

Provided you do decently on the BMAT, there's no way you won't get an interview :h:

My stats: 11A*s 1B at GCSE (B in food technology, sigh xD). AS - AAAA, A2 predicted- A*A*A*A* (biology, chemistry, physics and maths). UKCAT- 3200
I've applied to King's, Birmigham and Nottingham as well :h:
Original post by zarabadoma
The BMAT is going to be the end of me :frown: not really sure how to approach it yet
wbu?

been doing the past papers, not sure what a good score is though!! idk how much preparation I'll need either :confused: I'm defo not going to get in tho so I'm counting on luck atm! where else are you applying?
Holy crappppppppppp. 14A*s coming from a deprived area is likely to put you in a very VERY good position xD xD
Did you not do the UKCAT?

Provided you do decently on the BMAT, there's no way you won't get an interview :h:

My stats: 11A*s 1B at GCSE (B in food technology, sigh xD). AS - AAAA, A2 predicted- A*A*A*A* (biology, chemistry, physics and maths). UKCAT- 3200
I've applied to King's, Birmigham and Nottingham as well :h:

I really hope so, people always assume doing 14 subjects suggests I went to a private school, but in reality it's the complete opposite haha xD I did a few extra subjects though on top of my school's compulsory subjects, so that pulled me up! I'm just hoping my A Level choices don't hold me back- I dropped Maths because we're encouraged to only do three A2s and I feel as though English gives me different skills that are equally useful. I'm just worried that most people will have Maths/Physics or both, although I did ring the medical school and they told me it wouldn't put me at a disadvantage, so hopefully I'll be ok :s-smilie:

Your stats are AMAZING, you've definitely got a great chance of getting an interview. You have a really high A* percentage and your A2 predictions are fab :smile: you've got a high chance at every single university you're applying to, especially with such a high UKCAT! That's amazing!

Ooh yeah I did do the UKCAT haha :smile: I got 652.5 band 1, not outstanding but hopefully high enough for my choices :biggrin: I didn't really know what to expect with it so whilst I did well in the Quantitative Reasoning section, I fell down in the Abstract Reasoning!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by notyous
been doing the past papers, not sure what a good score is though!! idk how much preparation I'll need either :confused: I'm defo not going to get in tho so I'm counting on luck atm! where else are you applying?

For Oxford, 5.5 and above is probably a good enough score. For Imperial and UCL, 4.9 or 5.0 would be good enough, although obviously 6.0 and above would be even better for all but then again it's difficult af to get that
Original post by not you
For Oxford, 5.5 and above is probably a good enough score. For Imperial and UCL, 4.9 or 5.0 would be good enough, although obviously 6.0 and above would be even better for all but then again it's difficult af to get that

is there a way to convert my marks to a score??
I really hope so, people always assume doing 14 subjects suggests I went to a private school, but in reality it's the complete opposite haha xD I did a few extra subjects though on top of my school's compulsory subjects, so that pulled me up! I'm just hoping my A Level choices don't hold me back- I dropped Maths because we're encouraged to only do three A2s and I feel as though English gives me different skills that are equally useful. I'm just worried that most people will have Maths/Physics or both, although I did ring the medical school and they told me it wouldn't put me at a disadvantage, so hopefully I'll be ok :s-smilie:

Your stats are AMAZING, you've definitely got a great chance of getting an interview. You have a really high A* percentage and your A2 predictions are fab :smile: you've got a high chance at every single university you're applying to, especially with such a high UKCAT! That's amazing!

Ooh yeah I did do the UKCAT haha :smile: I got 652.5 band 1, not outstanding but hopefully high enough for my choices :biggrin: I didn't really know what to expect with it so whilst I did well in the Quantitative Reasoning section, I fell down in the Abstract Reasoning!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahah yeah, the only people I know that have 14 GCSEs are from private/grammar schools xD damn, your GCSEs are absolutely mind blowing :lol:
Yeah, you'll be fine without maths + physics :h: don't think it disadvantages you in any way, unless you're applying to Cambridge, which you're clearly not :lol: tbh, I think that doing a subject that isn't a science at A-Level shows that you're a multi-talented person. I wish I'd done a language or English lit at A-Level.

Haha, thanks, I'm just really worried about it all. I mean, I know that I have good stats but that's never a guarantee with medicine :/ I really want to get into at least one medical school but it's likely that I could get rejected from all four :/

Abstract reasoning was awful. To be honest, the UKCAT was just awful xD I hated every minute of it, SO GLAD it's over :lol:
Original post by notyous
is there a way to convert my marks to a score??

well if you're using the bmat past papers then they have a scoring table at the bottom of the marking scheme, if you're not then just pick the most recent past paper marking scheme and compare it with that
Original post by purpleumbrella
Are GCSEs and the ELAT the most important things taken into consideration for shortlisting English Applicants? Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey! The ELAT is very important as far as I'm aware because it gives the uni an up-to-date idea of your ability. I think GCSEs are important, but contextualised too. Reference and predicted grades are important as well. I'm applying for English too! Which college are you thinking? :cute:
Is anyone using books for TSA practice? Applying for PPE at St Peters
Hahah yeah, the only people I know that have 14 GCSEs are from private/grammar schools xD damn, your GCSEs are absolutely mind blowing :lol:
Yeah, you'll be fine without maths + physics :h: don't think it disadvantages you in any way, unless you're applying to Cambridge, which you're clearly not :lol: tbh, I think that doing a subject that isn't a science at A-Level shows that you're a multi-talented person. I wish I'd done a language or English lit at A-Level.

Haha, thanks, I'm just really worried about it all. I mean, I know that I have good stats but that's never a guarantee with medicine :/ I really want to get into at least one medical school but it's likely that I could get rejected from all four :/

Abstract reasoning was awful. To be honest, the UKCAT was just awful xD I hated every minute of it, SO GLAD it's over :lol:

I really hope not, I'd be so devastated if I didn't get in (or at least an interview) purely because I had English as my third subject! I love English, there are just so many areas to explore and I agree with you, I think it shows diversity! Although I really admire people who can do physics- that's my nightmare haha xD Me and circuits don't mix at all!!

I don't think you have to worry at all. You've obviously looked into all of your university choices in great depth as they are all really suited to your stats :biggrin: I am still amazed by your UKCAT- how did you manage such an amazing score? That will definitely make your application stand out!

Do you go to a private or state school, and what drew you to Oxford? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I really hope not, I'd be so devastated if I didn't get in (or at least an interview) purely because I had English as my third subject! I love English, there are just so many areas to explore and I agree with you, I think it shows diversity! Although I really admire people who can do physics- that's my nightmare haha xD Me and circuits don't mix at all!!

I don't think you have to worry at all. You've obviously looked into all of your university choices in great depth as they are all really suited to your stats :biggrin: I am still amazed by your UKCAT- how did you manage such an amazing score? That will definitely make your application stand out!

Do you go to a private or state school, and what drew you to Oxford? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha, that definitely won't happen xD
Yeah, it definitely shows diversity. Writing essays is tough, something I definitely struggle with. A lot of the work set at Oxford is essay based, so that already put you in an advantageous position :wink:

Gosh, it took me sooooo long to choose universities :lol: I spent ages scouring through entry requirements and the like. I'm glad that you think I've chosen wisely, I did try to apply to my strengths but wasn't entirely sure if I had done so through my options XD
Haha, my UKCAT result came as SUCH as shock to me XD I don't even know how I managed it, I was getting about 650-700 in all of my mocks :lol: I think I just got lucky XD

I went to a state school through primary school and the majority of secondary school but transferred to a private school in the area for sixth form because my old school was too far from home and we couldn't afford to keep paying extortionate transport costs. The private school I'm at has given me a full bursary as well as an academic scholarship so I pay nothing, which is great XD my only fear is that people might think I'm a typical spoon-fed private school kid when they hear I go to a private school, which realllly isn't the case :/

I was drawn to Oxford because I live here :wink: I absolutely love Oxford, definitely could see myself living here for quite a while. It's such a gorgeous and friendly town (though tourists get annoying sometimes, especially during summer) XD
Original post by georgiaf
Hey! The ELAT is very important as far as I'm aware because it gives the uni an up-to-date idea of your ability. I think GCSEs are important, but contextualised too. Reference and predicted grades are important as well. I'm applying for English too! Which college are you thinking? :cute:

Oh right, thank you!! My GCSE's weren't amazing, so hopefully the ELAT goes well! (for you too!). I applied Lincoln, what about you? And how's the ELAT prep going?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CJaneH
Okay thanks, I'd best do another test paper haha

What have you been averaging at so far?
Original post by politicalmind
Who's taking the TSA?

I am for E&M

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending