The Student Room Group

Law personal statement - Tort Law

Currently touching up my personal statement and just needed to know if anyone knew anything about Tort Law, since I have no one to check it with. Wanted to add some technical knowledge into it and just wondered if someone can judge if it makes sense or not! Thank you in advance :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi OP,

I’m sure someone will give a fuller opinion, but I’ve just got a couple of initial notes assuming only minor changes are needed. (1) In private law, one would say ‘sue’ (or, more properly still, ‘bring an action against’), not ‘prosecute’. (2) If this is for England/Wales, we no longer use ‘plaintiff’ and ‘tortfeasor’, having modernised them to ‘claimant’ and ‘defendant’. (3) Most tort courses that I know of do not place any (major) focus on torts like assault and battery, because they tend to be too close to the criminal law syllabus. Consider adding something about other major torts, especially negligence (also nuisance, economic torts, conversion, trespass, defamation, depending on what each uni teaches), instead/as well.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Nolofinwë
Hi OP,

I’m sure someone will give a fuller opinion, but I’ve just got a couple of initial notes assuming only minor changes are needed. (1) In private law, one would say ‘sue’ (or, more properly still, ‘bring an action against’), not ‘prosecute’. (2) If this is for England/Wales, we no longer use ‘plaintiff’ and ‘tortfeasor’, having modernised them to ‘claimant’ and ‘defendant’. (3) Most tort courses that I know of do not place any (major) focus on torts like assault and battery, because they tend to be too close to the criminal law syllabus. Consider adding something about other major torts, especially negligence (also nuisance, economic torts, conversion, trespass, defamation, depending on what each uni teaches), instead/as well.

Thank you, this is really helpful! Yes it's England that I'm going to be studying it in. I will make those alterations now, thanks again :smile:
Original post by eleanorbartram
Thank you, this is really helpful! Yes it's England that I'm going to be studying it in. I will make those alterations now, thanks again :smile:

No problem at all. Seeing as no-one else has committed, I thought I would lend a further thought. Since you are citing Locke on a point about freedom, I thought you might like to link this in to some specific area of jurisprudence. While I don't doubt that a freedom argument can be applied to tort (it could be applied anywhere), a personal interest of mine is the way in which the law of contract is a very central facility by which the law confers freedom on its citizens. If you are interested, 'The Concept of Law' by HLA Hart (who is probably the significant legal philosopher in a modern context) has some concise and interesting ideas on this: see in particular Chapter 3, sub-section 1, especially the start of that sub-section. It's a very accessible read, so I would recommend having a look at it if you are interested.
Original post by Nolofinwë
No problem at all. Seeing as no-one else has committed, I thought I would lend a further thought. Since you are citing Locke on a point about freedom, I thought you might like to link this in to some specific area of jurisprudence. While I don't doubt that a freedom argument can be applied to tort (it could be applied anywhere), a personal interest of mine is the way in which the law of contract is a very central facility by which the law confers freedom on its citizens. If you are interested, 'The Concept of Law' by HLA Hart (who is probably the significant legal philosopher in a modern context) has some concise and interesting ideas on this: see in particular Chapter 3, sub-section 1, especially the start of that sub-section. It's a very accessible read, so I would recommend having a look at it if you are interested.

Oh thank you for the information, I shall add that in instead, it seems a lot more relevant to my quote. Thanks so much, will have a read!!
Oh thank you for the information, I shall add that in instead, it seems a lot more relevant to my quote. Thanks so much, will have a read!!

I have edited out your PS from this post, but as it went undetected for over a day, I'm afraid it is far too late. Your PS will have been cached by Google and will now flag up on UCAS's plagiarism software. You will have to start again, I'm afraid.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
I have edited out your PS from this post, but as it went undetected for over a day, I'm afraid it is far too late. Your PS will have been cached by Google and will now flag up on UCAS's plagiarism software. You will have to start again, I'm afraid.

Is this a joke? What.
Reply 7
Is this a joke? What.

Nope, it's not. Welcome to the harsh world of Higher Education.
Original post by Oli T-H
Nope, it's not. Welcome to the harsh world of Higher Education.

The internet ruins lives. Lol, guess i'll start again.
Is this a joke? What.

It most definitely is not a joke, as you will see from many threads in this forum. When you submit your Ucas application, your PS is run through anti-plagiarism software which will produce a report with a percentage similarity to others it has found, both in its own archive and from anything Google turns up. Anyone could have copied and used what you wrote. Your PS will be found on Google by now, and will trigger a percentage. Ucas submits this percentage to the universities you have applied for and it is up to them what they do with the information.

When I make jokes, they are funny.
It most definitely is not a joke, as you will see from many threads in this forum. When you submit your Ucas application, your PS is run through anti-plagiarism software which will produce a report with a percentage similarity to others it has found, both in its own archive and from anything Google turns up. Anyone could have copied and used what you wrote. Your PS will be found on Google by now, and will trigger a percentage. Ucas submits this percentage to the universities you have applied for and it is up to them what they do with the information.

That's up for debate.

Yeah, I understand. Thanks for the info, I will change it now. Was thoughtless to post it, just struggled for advice on technicalities of law and did not consider people copying it but the truth is now very blatant. Ah, how naive.
Yeah, I understand. Thanks for the info, I will change it now. Was thoughtless to post it, just struggled for advice on technicalities of law and did not consider people copying it but the truth is now very blatant. Ah, how naive.

Everyone makes mistakes. You are lucky in that it was only a paragraph.

Quick Reply