The Student Room Group

MFL PGCE applicants 2016 (Or 2015 students!)

Hello!

Just wondering if there are many fellow PGCE applicants for languages out there, and where you guys are at with your applications? I feel like I'm a bit behind, just starting with my personal statement and narrowing down choices. Where are you all applying? And for any current students, how did you find the application process and how's the course going? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No one?!
Reply 2
Original post by travelfiend
No one?!

Hey!

I am a MFL applicant! Right now, my only firm choice is Exeter. I'm also thinking about Oxford, Leeds, St Mary's and IoE. St Mary's program looks really good so I'm probably going to apply there but after, I'm really not sure.

I've got my references (I have to check with my second one but there shouldn't be any issues) and right now, I'm working on my statement. It is SO hard... I don't know what to say.

And I've booked my skills test. I'm practicing numeracy but I'm not worry about that but Literacy... Since I'm not a English native speaker, I'm really worry about punctuation and a bit about grammar. The test sample I did on those sections were.... Yeah.

And you?
Just a warning about the professional skills tests - you have to have submitted your UCAS application before you sit the test (to submit your UCAS application, your referees need to have submitted their references completely which can take a little while) so take that into account and don't get caught out like some people do...
Reply 4
Original post by mmerain
Hey!

I am a MFL applicant! Right now, my only firm choice is Exeter. I'm also thinking about Oxford, Leeds, St Mary's and IoE. St Mary's program looks really good so I'm probably going to apply there but after, I'm really not sure.

I've got my references (I have to check with my second one but there shouldn't be any issues) and right now, I'm working on my statement. It is SO hard... I don't know what to say.

And I've booked my skills test. I'm practicing numeracy but I'm not worry about that but Literacy... Since I'm not a English native speaker, I'm really worry about punctuation and a bit about grammar. The test sample I did on those sections were.... Yeah.

And you?

I'm thinking of applying to Bristol and Goldsmiths but I'm not sure about my 3rd choice. Possibly UEL. I've written about half of my personal statement now, it's easy when you start :smile:

Original post by pillinois
Just a warning about the professional skills tests - you have to have submitted your UCAS application before you sit the test (to submit your UCAS application, your referees need to have submitted their references completely which can take a little while) so take that into account and don't get caught out like some people do...

Yeah, I know this :smile: What do you mean by getting caught out?
Reply 5
Hi, I've just submitted my application. I actually applied last year and was nearly offered a place but my lack of Secondary School experience let me down, that was strange to me as I actually work as a Primary Spanish teacher (PPA cover). Anyway, now I have over two weeks of experience in the Secondary classroom and one of the schools I was observing at have even asked if I can do a 12 week placement there (should I be accepted onto the course).

So yeah, application is submitted and I'm currently waiting for my references to come through. In the mean time I'm brushing up my French which isn't great and worrying about the QTS test.
Reply 6
I'm trying to decide between Secondary PGCE and Primary PGCE with specialization in MFL. I'm good at my languages but bad at behaviour management.
Reply 7
Original post by OliverW
Hi, I've just submitted my application. I actually applied last year and was nearly offered a place but my lack of Secondary School experience let me down, that was strange to me as I actually work as a Primary Spanish teacher (PPA cover). Anyway, now I have over two weeks of experience in the Secondary classroom and one of the schools I was observing at have even asked if I can do a 12 week placement there (should I be accepted onto the course).

So yeah, application is submitted and I'm currently waiting for my references to come through. In the mean time I'm brushing up my French which isn't great and worrying about the QTS test.

That does seem strange, I would have thought that would be great experience. Which university was that for? And which are you applying to now?

I sent my application off on Monday and had an invitation to an interview at Goldsmith's yesterday.
Applied for IoE Secondary languages. Haven't heard anything yet.
Reply 9
Original post by daisyhuang1230
Applied for IoE Secondary languages. Haven't heard anything yet.

I've applied to IoE too. When did you send off your application?

Are you applying for Secondary as well? I sent off on the 30th Oct. I thought it was early enough...

I actually phoned them this morning. They told me that it takes 3-4 weeks for them to process the applications. But what I know is that there's an interview for primary applicants on the 24th. Hope the one for the secondary will come up soon.
I actually phoned them this morning. They told me that it takes 3-4 weeks for them to process the applications. But what I know is that there's an interview for primary applicants on the 24th. Hope the one for the secondary will come up soon.

I literally just got an email inviting me to interview on December 2nd :smile:
I literally just got an email inviting me to interview on December 2nd :smile:

Wow that's awesome! Congratulations!!!!
Wow that's awesome! Congratulations!!!!

Thank you! It hasn't shown up on UCAS yet though
[QUOTE=travelfiend;60655467]Thank you! It hasn't shown up on UCAS yet though

It's off work time now. I'm sure they'll update it tomorrow. When did you send off your application?
Reply 16
That does seem strange, I would have thought that would be great experience. Which university was that for? And which are you applying to now?

I sent my application off on Monday and had an invitation to an interview at Goldsmith's yesterday.

That was for UWE, I did also apply for Goldsmiths and Bristol but they didn't even bother offering me an interview. I'm reapplying this year for UWE, Bristol and Swansea given their proximity to me. I would ideally like to get into UWE as the course leader there has been nothing short of amazing with me, she helped arrange Secondary School experience for me and has already told me I will be interviewed.

In the meantime I'm waiting for my references to be completed before the form gets sent out. Congratulations on your interview offer! What languages are you offering?
Thank you! It hasn't shown up on UCAS yet though

Just received my invitation as well. But it's on the 15th of December.
Just received my invitation as well. But it's on the 15th of December.

Yay, that's great, well done :smile: I think my application actually got sent off on the 9th because I had to wait ages for one of my references.

Original post by OliverW
That was for UWE, I did also apply for Goldsmiths and Bristol but they didn't even bother offering me an interview. I'm reapplying this year for UWE, Bristol and Swansea given their proximity to me. I would ideally like to get into UWE as the course leader there has been nothing short of amazing with me, she helped arrange Secondary School experience for me and has already told me I will be interviewed.

In the meantime I'm waiting for my references to be completed before the form gets sent out. Congratulations on your interview offer! What languages are you offering?

That's really good that she's supported you for your application this year :smile: I've got an interview for all of my choices: Goldsmiths, Bristol and IoE. Had Goldsmiths yesterday but I'm not really sure how well it went, mostly because whilst my Spanish is very good, my French is rusty at absolute best (but Goldsmiths did know that so..). How about you?
Yay, that's great, well done :smile: I think my application actually got sent off on the 9th because I had to wait ages for one of my references.

Mine was sent off on the 30th. That's a bit weird though, I thought they would put me in the earliest slot.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending