The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by neuronerd
graduate/GEP - 4 years = funded
undergrad - 5/6 years = not funded.

Original post by deathbeforeimmortality
I'm an EU student who has lived in UK since 2004 and I got funding for my first degree. You're saying if I got into GEP I wouldn't get funding for that?

Neuro nerd - not sure about EU students but UK students get maintenance loan with the 5 year course.
Original post by elzw
For personal statements have people left a line in between paragraphs or not?

Nope!! I was on the line limit so couldn't. I assume that universities know it's an issue!
Hi everyone,

I'm applying for GEM this week but after reading a few posts on here I'm not sure if I'm hoping for too much. At the moment I'm planning on applying for Swansea, Kings, Southampton and possibly St George's all 4 year. I'm considering swapping one or two for a 5 year course but not sure which of these would give me the best shot. I didn't get the best UKCAT (2810, 702.5 average) and I'm not sure how well GAMSAT went. I got a 2:1 Msc in Chemistry as my undergrad. AABBB at A level. I'd really appreciate any advice.

Also I haven't found anywhere yet to put my degree classification on UCAS yet, do I just put it in my personal statement?

Thanks
Original post by elzw

I didn't leave lines, I think it wastes too many potential extra characters.
Original post by kj0511
I need some help i any could offer some advice! i was going to put down warwick, kings, barts and soton, all GEM. Im now thinking of putting down one or two 5 year courses but i can't decide at all where would be best. has anyone else looked into this and able to offer some advice? i got 2910 B1 and a 2:1 in pharmacology. haven't done gamsat or bmat and got ABBb (bio, chem, maths, phys) at a level

You'd almost certainly get in in Aberdeen :smile:
Reply 2705
Original post by smb18
I graduated with a 2:1 in Biomedical Sciences and got AAB at A level (chemistry, maths, biology)
In 2nd year I got a couple of module marks that are 2:2's... Is it worth applying to Bristol? It says on their admissions policy they expect 2:1's :/ just don't want to waste a choice

Thanks in advance :smile:

I emailed asking them this and they said I would be ineligible for their 4 year course if i had less that 60% in any relevant modules regardless of what I achieved overall!
Original post by elzw

I've left lines, not having them on other peoples i've read has really put me off reading then, but then i am dyslexic
Original post by wciselko
Hey,

I know that Warwick does not - but do you know whether kings, barts and southampton actually look at personal statements before selecting for interviews? I am debating giving it in for a paid review but I really do not have money... just bought a winter coat and I'm truly broke.
What do you guys think? I have done like 10 drafts already hehe

King's don't as far as I know. They might glance over it but in terms of scoring applications, it's all on the UKCAT.
Original post by elzw

I got rid of them as I was over the line count (which seems like the most pointless thing ever), even though just under the character count.
Hey, can anyone help please? I'm trying to sent my choices off to UKCAT, but I can't find where we're meant to put them... I've logged into my Pearson Vue account but there's nothing there...

EDIT: never mind, I found it! :P
(edited 8 years ago)
In need of some advice guys, my referee just emailed me saying she's busy till mid November and might not be able to do my reference. It's too late to get another referee so I'm basically screwed if she doesn't do it. Help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pharma21
In need of some advice guys, my referee just emailed me saying she's busy till mid November and might not be able to do my reference. It's too late to get another referee so I'm basically screwed if she doesn't do it. Help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yikes, that's terrible. I'm in an almost-similar situation in that my boss still hasn't done my reference, but pretty sure she will although it will not doubt happen on Thursday afternoon when I'll be having multiple panic attacks.

You may have already done this (and this is assuming you can't find anyone else to be referee), but is it worth politely explaining the situation, i.e. that there is a hard deadline for you of 6pm on 15 October and her reference needs to be in before then or else you cannot submit? I think if she has already agreed to give you a reference, the least she can do is follow through and write something basic, which won't take very long. Give her a PDF of the guidance for referees (from UCAS website) and maybe pull together some extra points for her to include for GEM courses. That is, try to make it as easy as possible for her, so she knows what she needs to cover!

I would also suggest speaking to her face to face or by telephone, she would have to be a pretty mean-spirited person to say to your face that she can't find 30 minutes to write you a brief reference this week.

Good luck!
About to submit ucas for three undergrad 1 grad course. Been told I can either put all modules down from my degree or overall percentage in year one and two. What would happen if I left it as pending classification with nothing else but my referee puts my prediction in reference?
Original post by Renn
I'm going to be applying fpr GEM with a 2:1 biomedical science degree and got the following UKCAT scores:
VR - 680 / QR - 810 / AR - 680 / DA - 680 / SJ - Band 1 which gives me a total of 2850 and an average of 712.5.

Where would you guys recommend I apply?
I was thinking Newcastle, Southampton, Warwick and Bristol.

I figure my UKCAT score would be a bit risky for Barts and Kings?

I got a score of 712.5 last year - I didn't get interviews at either Newcastle or Southampton, unfortunately.
Original post by elzw

I did, but only because I'm applying to Birmingham and Cambridge who look at the ps!
Perhaps a stupid question, but where do we input that we've sat the Gamsat/UKCAT? I can't see an option under education? >.o
Reply 2716
Original post by kchop
Hi guys!

Some super useful information on here and good luck to all of you on your applications!
I am a reapplicant *sigh* and wanted some advice regarding my application:

UKCAT - 652.5
1st class in biomed and currently enrolled at london school of hygiene and tropical medicine studying MSc Immuno of Infectious Diseases (it's so awesome!)

Experience:
shadowing/volunteering and working for anthony nolan at QMC hospital, nottingham for 1year 2 months. lots of clinical experience

I think i will apply for Bart's 5 year course as they use the application 50:50 now but not sure about anywhere else :frown:
any help would be truly appreciated!

anyone?? i'm a bit screwed as I only got a C in GCSE MAths... back in the day '07, how it's coming to haunt me...
Does anyone know how UCAS gets the GAMSAT score? Do we have to email GAMSAT with our choices, or what? I'm so confused...
Original post by dancingfaery
Does anyone know how UCAS gets the GAMSAT score? Do we have to email GAMSAT with our choices, or what? I'm so confused...

Original post by Estee92
Perhaps a stupid question, but where do we input that we've sat the Gamsat/UKCAT? I can't see an option under education? >.o

You don't have to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending