The Student Room Group

Overtaking cyclists

Okay so I recently passed my test and today I did my first proper drive out of my town. I was on a 60mph road (3 lanes, overtake lane on my side) and there was a cyclist ahead but the car behind me was right up my backside so I couldn't slow down enough without being rammed into, and I couldn't pull out into the overtaking lane because there was already a car too close coming up in it. I knew I had to overtake the cyclist because of how close I was to him (I should have spotted him sooner, I know but for some reason I didn't) but I couldn't give him good space because of the other cars so I overtook him really closely. Problem is, I feel really horrible about passing the cyclist so close (and for doing it when there was a car about to overtake me) but I didn't know what else to do. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? If so, how did you handle it? I know I was in the wrong and how the situation could have been avoided, but at the time I was so nervous I just didn't think.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How you handle any situation where the car behind is too close is to slow down. You should have learned this while learning in the first place - if the gap behind isn't big enough, increase the gap in front.

Ultimately the guy who crashes into the back of you will be at fault and you'll both live to tell the tale. The cyclist that you kill wont.

Next time, slow down - even if it means the car behind is going into the back of you.
~Matt
Original post by rachelthehuman
Okay so I recently passed my test and today I did my first proper drive out of my town. I was on a 60mph road (3 lanes, overtake lane on my side) and there was a cyclist ahead but the car behind me was right up my backside so I couldn't slow down enough without being rammed into, and I couldn't pull out into the overtaking lane because there was already a car too close coming up in it. I knew I had to overtake the cyclist because of how close I was to him (I should have spotted him sooner, I know but for some reason I didn't) but I couldn't give him good space because of the other cars so I overtook him really closely. Problem is, I feel really horrible about passing the cyclist so close (and for doing it when there was a car about to overtake me) but I didn't know what else to do. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? If so, how did you handle it? I know I was in the wrong and how the situation could have been avoided, but at the time I was so nervous I just didn't think.

Just press the horn.
Original post by danty
How you handle any situation where the car behind is too close is to slow down. You should have learned this while learning in the first place - if the gap behind isn't big enough, increase the gap in front.

Ultimately the guy who crashes into the back of you will be at fault and you'll both live to tell the tale. The cyclist that you kill wont.

Next time, slow down - even if it means the car behind is going into the back of you.
~Matt

I understand that this is the correct way to handle it, and that I was completely in the wrong. I do feel awful and stupid. I guess I was just so nervous about it being my first time going anywhere more than two miles away in my own that I just didn't think.
Reply 4
If you hit a cyclist you were too close. If you don't you left enough space. :wink:
Original post by JC.
If you hit a cyclist you were too close. If you don't you left enough space. :wink:

Well I certainly didn't hit him :P I just know how horrible it it to have cars going above 40 mph passing by you closely so I feel super guilty!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Bloody hate cyclists on NSL roads. There really is no easy way around them safely.

Either slow down to match there dangerous speed and wait for a space in lane 2 where you then need to quickly accelerate back up to speed

Push your way into lane 2 hoping that folks are paying enough attention to let you in

Straddle the lane halfway into 2 in a gap then quickly move back in to lane 1 once passed

Do what you did, slow down a bit and use the space in lane 1 to pass him closely

Dont feel horrible the cyclist is puting himself and everyone around him in a dangerous situation by being on a road not designed for his method of transport.

Oh also, quick tip if you spot a hazard that you are going to need to take evasive action for pop your hazard lights on to alert people behind you prior to braking. Also use them if there is nobody currently behind you and you have to slow down dramaticly as it alerts closing traffic that you are moving slowly.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by CAElite
Bloody hate cyclists on NSL roads. There really is no easy way around them safely.

Dont feel horrible the cyclist is puting himself and everyone around him in a dangerous situation by being on a road not designed for his method of transport.

Do you think for one minute the cyclist actually likes being on a NSL road? Have you ever cycled on a NSL road?

My cycling route takes me on an completely straight NSL road where most people do 70 for about 500 meters.

I hate it, it's so dangerous but there is no alternative road, i've looked on google Earth/maps many times. I join it from a quiet country road and leave it on a quiet country road. I carry a flashing rear light in the daytime just because of this stretch of road.

To the OP, It's simple:

Don't let other drivers dictate what you do.

Happy Driving.
Reply 8
Original post by Pegasus2
Do you think for one minute the cyclist actually likes being on a NSL road? Have you ever cycled on a NSL road?

My cycling route takes me on an completely straight NSL road where most people do 70 for about 500 meters.

I hate it, it's so dangerous but there is no alternative road, i've looked on google Earth/maps many times. I join it from a quiet country road and leave it on a quiet country road. I carry a flashing rear light in the daytime just because of this stretch of road.

To the OP, It's simple:

Don't let other drivers dictate what you do.

Happy Driving.

I have not cycled on any busy NSL roads no. I do however cycle on town roads.

It is my belief that cyclists, 28mph limited AM scooters and 28mph limited B class quadracycles should be banned from NSL single track and dual carriageway roads for the same reason they are banned from 70mph M class roads. As they are a danger, not only to themselves but also to other road users that need to use the road around them.

I believe that if your route takes you into an NSL road then you should either be forced to adapt that route, walk / cycle slowly on the footpath (Legal in Scotland on most roads, not in England & Wales though imo this should be changed for quiet pavements) or take public transport. Your choice to cycle to your destination should not be one that puts other road users at risk.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by CAElite
I believe that if your route takes you into an NSL road then you should either be forced to adapt that route, walk / cycle slowly on the footpath (Legal in Scotland on most roads, not in England & Wales though imo this should be changed for quiet pavements) or take public transport. Your choice to cycle to your destination should not be one that puts other road users at risk.

Thing is if this were actually implemented, the end result would be changing the speed limits on all the current NSL roads that non-motorised traffic needs to use. Which is in fact, most of them. When you get out into the countryside often there is no alternative route (at least not one that doesn't involve a 30 mile diversion). So the roads have to be shared and it's up to motorists to keep the more vulnerable road users safe.
Reply 10
the car behind me was right up my backside

Highway code is to slow down in this situation. Everything after this point was your mistake.
I have to cycle. I got a totting up ban due to repeatedly breaking draconian speed limits so now I cycle everywhere. Well the authorities got what they wanted. Yet it looks like Im still a hazard. Work this one out folks.
Reply 12
The other day a cyclist rode out onto a dual carriageway from a country lane about 150 metres infront of me doing 70mph. I could not move into lane 2 due to a number of overtaking cars so had to brake and slow down to a snails pace until I could move over. Some arse behind me nearly went up my backside because he wasn't paying attention and proceeded to beep his horn at me several times whilst waving his hands in the air. Honestly if it wasn't a dual carriageway I felt like getting out and asking him if he'd prefer if I just ran the cyclist over next time. Getting into a vehicle turns some people into impatient, obnoxious, selfish idiots.
A 3 year old could tell you to slow down

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CAElite
I have not cycled on any busy NSL roads no. I do however cycle on town roads.

It is my belief that cyclists, 28mph limited AM scooters and 28mph limited B class quadracycles should be banned from NSL single track and dual carriageway roads for the same reason they are banned from 70mph M class roads. As they are a danger, not only to themselves but also to other road users that need to use the road around them.

The problem is you have to cross A roads at some point, there is no 'adapting' around that, unless there is a bridge or underpass. The problem with A roads is they are fairly common and because they are main roads, they have the useful purpose of linking populated places together.

A roads outside of towns rarely have pavements, the one i'm taking about doesn't either. Riding on the pavement is not an option either, ever tried riding 20mph on a pavement or even a crappy 3 ft wide cycle path?

Cars put others at risk, HGV's put cars at risk, cars put pedestrians at risk. Trains put cars and pedestrians at risk on crossings.

The bicycle is the most efficent method of transport on Earth, yes it's even more efficient than walking. It should be given more investment but sadly isn't respected as a mode of transport because people are lazy and in the case of some car drivers, selfish as well.
Reply 15

As a cyclist and horse rider, (but non driver) I absolutely loathe drivers who do this. Slow down, before getting to the cyclist/pedestrian/horse rider. Even if you have someone up your backside. Legally we are entitled to as much space on the road as a car. Please don't overtake closely as it is bloody terrifying. Especially on horseback. Horse bolts and you just have to hold on for dear life.

What you did is potentially lethal. Car drivers are protected by metal and other stuff. Cyclists aren't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's been said on here already... slow down! Don't ever let other drivers pressure you into taking unsafe decisions, which is basically what you did and you recognise that! Luckily it turned out alright but you could have either hit the cyclist or yourself been hit by oncoming traffic by trying to make an unsafe overtake. If you're not comfortable overtaking then it's probably dangerous and don't do it. Who gives a damn about the opinion of the driver behind, let him beep/rage/whatever he likes.
Reply 17
Original post by JC.

It is terrifying having a car pass you mere inches away. It isn't funny it's dangerous.

Legally, if I'm on a horse or a bike and a car is overtaking me I should get as much space as you would give a car.

Any less is too close.

I ride quite wide so I have somewhere to go if I get a dickhead try to give me no space. Ride next to the wall and you get crushed.

Zip past a horse and it could bolt or throw the rider. Both potentially fatal. You can't tell a green horse from an experienced one. Even experienced horses startle.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you have to slow down, you have to slow down. If there's someone that's that close up your arse that they hit you because you slowed down, obviously it's them that needs to have a serious look at their driving. Imagine if a kid ran in front of you? I can't imagine you'd just drive on and shout to the parents as you pass them with their child on your bonnet "Sorry, couldn't stop, this knobhead behind me is too close, take his numberplate for driving dangerously!"
Reply 19
Original post by CAElite

Either slow down to match there dangerous speed and wait for a space in lane 2 where you then need to quickly accelerate back up to speed

Push your way into lane 2 hoping that folks are paying enough attention to let you in

Straddle the lane halfway into 2 in a gap then quickly move back in to lane 1 once passed

Do what you did, slow down a bit and use the space in lane 1 to pass him closely

Oh also, quick tip if you spot a hazard that you are going to need to take evasive action for pop your hazard lights on to alert people behind you prior to braking. Also use them if there is nobody currently behind you and you have to slow down dramaticly as it alerts closing traffic that you are moving slowly.

Slow down. Your car does drive at 20 or 10 or 5 mph. Passing closely is horrible for the cyclist AND ILLEGAL. These roads need proper, well maintained cycle paths. These need to be wide enough to actually ride in.

As the dominant road user it is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to ensure that you overtake safely.

Often there is no alternative route. Where there is no sign banning cyclists etc. Expect to find them.

If you can't drive safely don't drive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest