The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

2016 Durham University hopefuls

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 90780
Ah okay, do you know what the nightlife is like? How are the facilities too? Also, I am applying for politics so do you know how far it is the building?

Can't say I know anything about politics, (I'm a physicist you see) but you should be able to find out where our subject is taught from the university website.
As for the night life, Butler has a very nice bar and is minutes from collingwood and grey, both of which have their own bars, but apart from that there is nothing at that end if town. Its a ten minute walk before you meet the first actual Pub and you wont find any clubs (if Durham even has clubs) until you reach the centre of town. about a 20-25 minute walk. However Butler is right next to the park and ride, so you could just get buses to and from the areas with the "night life" you're looking for.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Just sent off my UCAS! Applying for English at University College ☺️
Hi everyone!!!

Kanemyass here.

I got D D E E E and a distinction in shampooing.

Is this too good for durham, or should I look at Basingstoke University or Oxford??
Thanks from Kanemyass
Reply 323
Hi everyone.

Applying for Politics at Collingwood.

GCSEs: 4A*s 6As 1B

AS: 4As (Gov&Politics, English Lit, Geography, History)

Predictions: 3A*s (dropped history)

Did everyone do a separate personal statement for Durham? I am slightly worried about the fact I didn't now. I am also concerned my GCSEs aren't amazing. But fingers crossed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 324
Original post by owenj4
Hi everyone.

Applying for Politics at Collingwood.

GCSEs: 4A*s 6As 1B

AS: 4As (Gov&Politics, English Lit, Geography, History)

Predictions: 3A*s (dropped history)

Did everyone do a separate personal statement for Durham? I am slightly worried about the fact I didn't now. I am also concerned my GCSEs aren't amazing. But fingers crossed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah, I didn't either. Don't think it's really necessary

Posted from TSR Mobile
GCSE's: Awful, one A, a few B's, a few C's and a D (however, everyone in that class got a D).
AS Results: AABC in Maths, Further Maths, Psychology and Chemistry. Dropped Chemistry.
A2 Predictions: A*AB in Maths, Further Maths and Psychology (hoping to get psychology moved up).
Subject: BSc Maths.

Durham is my if-it-all-goes-very-well option. I'm also applying to Nottingham, QUB (maybe Leicester and Liverpool Hope, the latter as an if-it-all-goes-horribly-wrong option). Hoping to send my application off next week. The only issue with Durham is that I've not had the chance to visit, so I'm not sure what the colleges are like (and so I've put no preference on my UCAS form). Any advice?
Original post by Craig1998
GCSE's: Awful, one A, a few B's, a few C's and a D (however, everyone in that class got a D).
AS Results: AABC in Maths, Further Maths, Psychology and Chemistry. Dropped Chemistry.
A2 Predictions: A*AB in Maths, Further Maths and Psychology (hoping to get psychology moved up).
Subject: BSc Maths.

Durham is my if-it-all-goes-very-well option. I'm also applying to Nottingham, QUB (maybe Leicester and Liverpool Hope, the latter as an if-it-all-goes-horribly-wrong option). Hoping to send my application off next week. The only issue with Durham is that I've not had the chance to visit, so I'm not sure what the colleges are like (and so I've put no preference on my UCAS form). Any advice?

I've done the same in applying there. talk to people who go/have visited, look at them online, there's a table with information about them you can look at too. People get relocated anyway so it doesn't matter too much I don't think
Reply 327
Good luck with your application! Is Durham your top choice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm applying for English at St Chads!

GCSE: A*A*A*A*A*A*AABC
A Levels: Biology, English Lit, Philosophy&Ethics.
Predicted A*A*A

:smile:
Reply 329
So third choice then. Haha.
Durham is my top choice.

I'm applying to
- Politics at Durham
- Politics at Exeter
- Politics at Warwick
- Politics at York
- Politics and IR at Bristol

Really like Exeter as well. So that's 2nd choice

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JessWM
Just sent off my UCAS! Applying for English at University College ☺️

Can I ask what your GCSE's and AS lrvel grades were?
Hi :biggrin: I'm applying to study Maths at Durham
GCSE's 1A* 5A's 3B's 1C (although I know for this course they don't really take GCSE's into consideration)
I reset the whole of Yr 12 last year and went from CCDD to AAA after dropping Biology & History, redoing Maths & Chemistry and picking up Further Maths. All of the Maths exams I got over 90UMS in too :colondollar:
Predicted grades A*A*B
Does anyone know if they'll offer me a place with these predicted grades if the requirements are A*AA or should I try to convince my Chemistry teacher to make it an A???
Thanks and good luck to everyone!!!!!!!
Reply 332
Original post by Padc
Nah, I didn't either. Don't think it's really necessary

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok good. It's just a case of last minute panicking on my part I think :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey everyone!
I'm applying for Classics at University College. Any other Classics hopefuls here? :smile:

GCSEs: 12A*s
AS levels: AAAA (Latin, Maths, Bio, Chem)
A2 predictions: 3A*s (dropped chem)
I applied to St Aidan's for Combined Hons in Social Sciences!
GCSEs: 8 A*s (missed a year of school due to illness so had to drop 2 subjects)
AS subjects: English lit, history, geography, philosophy
AS grades: AAAA
A2 subjects: English lit, history, philosophy
Predicted: A*A*A*
Applying for: Philosophy (V500) at University College
Hey guys! I'm applying for the Earth Science MSci course :smile:
I took the IB and got 37 overall
6,6,6 in HL Physics, Geography and Design Tech
Original post by TTWNGCBC
GCSEs: 8 A*s (missed a year of school due to illness so had to drop 2 subjects)
AS subjects: English lit, history, geography, philosophy
AS grades: AAAA
A2 subjects: English lit, history, philosophy
Predicted: A*A*A*
Applying for: Philosophy (V500) at University College

Hey! we do pretty similar subjects except I dropped history after AS sadly, I got AABB so I'm doing A2 English language, philosophy and ethics and English literature :smile: your stats are amazing !! Lmao I'm only still trying because Durham is my dream uni and hoping to get A*A*A so hopefully they consider me - I'm applying for English literature and philosophy at Hatfield (changed from castle)

Posted from TSR Mobile
TTWMGCBC can I ask if you're doing/have done a separate statement for durham?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jill800
Hey! we do pretty similar subjects except I dropped history after AS sadly, I got AABB so I'm doing A2 English language, philosophy and ethics and English literature :smile: your stats are amazing !! Lmao I'm only still trying because Durham is my dream uni and hoping to get A*A*A so hopefully they consider me - I'm applying for English literature and philosophy at Hatfield (changed from castle)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww thanks :smile: what are you predicted? For my course the entry requirements are only AAA so I'm sure if you have solid predictions you will get an offer just fine! And those are great AS levels too.

Original post by jill800
TTWMGCBC can I ask if you're doing/have done a separate statement for durham?Posted from TSR Mobile

No, I haven't done a separate statement. Is there a particular reason why I should have?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending