The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Application is sent off! Let the waiting game begin...
Original post by dancingfaery
Does anyone know how UCAS gets the GAMSAT score? Do we have to email GAMSAT with our choices, or what? I'm so confused...

You put your UCAS Personal ID onto your Acer account :smile: you should've gotten an email from Acer about it a few weeks back?
Have Kings said when their interview dates will be for 2016 entry?
I've - optimistically! - got them in my diary for Soton, Warwick, and Cambridge, but can't find dates for KCL.
Original post by Alexdaman93
I've - optimistically! - got them in my diary for Soton, Warwick, and Cambridge, but can't find dates for KCL.

As far as I'm aware they've only said 'early January' which isn't that helpful!!
Reply 2724
The last few days before the 15th October....or as I like to call it. Hell week.

Standard advice needed for insecure applicant to Warwick...... 670 UKcat with BSc and MSc 2.1 (Sport and Exercise Science, Sport's Nutrition respectively). The only thing that help me a little is I am an academic working in a medical school (research associate).

I am so unsure as to whether I should put Warwick down, when instead I could maybe apply to another 5 year course (Kings and Glasgow). I have naff a levels so these seem my only choices without chem and a decent Bio etc etc.

My other two spots are taken by Notts and Swansea for 4 year courses but who knows how that GAMSAT went....

So do I go.....Notts, Swansea, Warwick, Glasgow OR Kings

or

Notts, Swansea, Glasgow and Kings

Any help warmly received!
Original post by Lxh524
The last few days before the 15th October....or as I like to call it. Hell week.

Standard advice needed for insecure applicant to Warwick...... 670 UKcat with BSc and MSc 2.1 (Sport and Exercise Science, Sport's Nutrition respectively). The only thing that help me a little is I am an academic working in a medical school (research associate).

I am so unsure as to whether I should put Warwick down, when instead I could maybe apply to another 5 year course (Kings and Glasgow). I have naff a levels so these seem my only choices without chem and a decent Bio etc etc.

My other two spots are taken by Notts and Swansea for 4 year courses but who knows how that GAMSAT went....

So do I go.....Notts, Swansea, Warwick, Glasgow OR Kings

or

Notts, Swansea, Glasgow and Kings

Any help warmly received!

I'd say that your UKCAT is too low for warwick (I didn't apply with a MSc and 685), you need to be around 700
If you can afford the 5 year and could accept an offer then go for it! So much less competitive and a really good back up choice. If you would just reject an offer don't bother and stick in warwick on the off chance that they interview a lot more this year.

edit: Also don't forget you have the option of St. Georges if you want another 4 year.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Alexdaman93

Can I ask what the selection centre dates will be for Southampton and where you found these? Thanks!
Original post by kantayya
Can I ask what the selection centre dates will be for Southampton and where you found these? Thanks!

7th/8th December - it says somewhere on their website :smile:
Reply 2728
Original post by neuronerd
I'd say that your UKCAT is too low for warwick (I didn't apply with a MSc and 685), you need to be around 700
If you can afford the 5 year and could accept an offer then go for it! So much less competitive and a really good back up choice. If you would just reject an offer don't bother and stick in warwick on the off chance that they interview a lot more this year.

edit: Also don't forget you have the option of St. Georges if you want another 4 year.

Thanks for the reply! At this stage I would study medicine at the North Pole if they would let me! The 4 year course at St Georges has a higher cut off than Notts and Swansea usually. As both seem to offer interviews based mainly on Gamsat and a work exp questionnaire I would take Swan or Notts first no issue.

My only issues with the two 5 year courses are

Glasgow-distance from g/f who I live with, would be difficult to leave her for 5 years (im 29!!)

Kings- The shear ridiculous cost of doing a 5 year course in London as a graduate. I think I could borrow that from a family member but that surely is a loan till the grave
Original post by Lxh524
Thanks for the reply! At this stage I would study medicine at the North Pole if they would let me! The 4 year course at St Georges has a higher cut off than Notts and Swansea usually. As both seem to offer interviews based mainly on Gamsat and a work exp questionnaire I would take Swan or Notts first no issue.

Glasgow-distance from g/f who I live with, would be difficult to leave her for 5 years (im 29!!)

Kings- The shear ridiculous cost of doing a 5 year course in London as a graduate. I think I could borrow that from a family member but that surely is a loan till the grave

How badly do you feel the gamsat went, its only 1 point higher at st. georges vs notts? I can't do a 5 year course - it's just plain too expensive, in london as well you're looking at crazy money. Is there not another 5 year course a bit closer to home for you?
If anyone was wondering about Notts interview dates and GAMSAT cutoffs

Interviews: 21st March 2016 for 1 week & 4th April 2016 for 1 week

Interview cutoffs:

59 or above (64 for those with 2:2 degree)

61 or above (66 for those with 2:2 degree)

:smile:
Original post by Hennnaa
If anyone was wondering about Notts interview dates and GAMSAT cutoffs

Interviews: 21st March 2016 for 1 week & 4th April 2016 for 1 week

Interview cutoffs:

61 or above (66 for those with 2:2 degree)

:smile:

Also the mean scores in seem lower than last year (purely conjecture!)
Also the mean scores in seem lower than last year (purely conjecture!)

Where did you find that graph? Is that for March or September sitting?
Original post by liam__
Where did you find that graph? Is that for March or September sitting?

Its the march sitting, I got given it with my results. This thread shows the means for 2014 and it is quite a fair bit lower this year! ie last year 62 was 80 percentile, this year it appears about 86ish

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2612366&page=17&highlight=gamsat+2014

I repeat pure conjecture!!!
Its the march sitting, I got given it with my results. This thread shows the means for 2014 and it is quite a fair bit lower this year! ie last year 62 was 80 percentile, this year it appears about 86ish

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2612366&page=17&highlight=gamsat+2014

I repeat pure conjecture!!!

That seems like a significant deviation, and is quite surprising considering Acer say that results from different sittings are comparable to each other.
Original post by Lxh524

Four year course stay George's is gamsat not ukcat

Posted from TSR Mobile
gamsat.jpg

GAMSAT score percentiles: 2015 at top, 2014 middle, 2013 bottom. I hope you can see the reason I'm expecting a drop in scores (but it may not happen of course!)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2737
How badly do you feel the gamsat went, its only 1 point higher at st. georges vs notts? I can't do a 5 year course - it's just plain too expensive, in london as well you're looking at crazy money. Is there not another 5 year course a bit closer to home for you?

Without chemistry at A level and a baD biology grade (thanks immaturity) I'm really quite limited...

GAMSAT wasn't hard I thought, it was just so time pressured. I had to guess a fair few sec 3. Sec 1 and 2 were fine enough. As far as I have researched here are my options....

Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry, -50:50 weighting....too late a bloomer in academics I'm afraid (even if I do lecture now occasionally!)
Queen Mary's, University of London-same
Birmingham (University of), School of Medicine-need a 1st and chem
Bristol (University of), Faculty of Medicine-need better academics as no entry test
Cambridge (University of), School of Clinical Medicine- need BMAT and better academics
Imperial College School of Medicine, London-just couldnt face doing the BMAT after doing my Gamsat and UKCAT....exhausted.
King's College London School of Medicine-might apply
Liverpool (University of), Faculty of Health and Life Sciences-need chem for both undergrad and grad.
Newcastle University Medical School-not high enough ukcat GEM, undergrad need chem
Nottingham (The University of), Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences- will apply
Oxford (University of), Medical Sciences Division-not good enough academics
Southampton (University of), School of Medicine- too low ukcat, need chem for undergrad
St George's, University of London-higher gamsat than notts and swansea, prefer those 2
Swansea University, School of medicine-will apply
Warwick (University of), Warwick Medical School-might apply

Aberdeen- (even more north than glasgow, but would consider me)
Dunde- same as aberdeen
Edinburgh- new 6 year course puts me off
Glasgow- might apply
St Andrews-need chem.

Thats it! That was therapeutic and was as much for me as it was to explain!!
Reply 2738
Original post by Lxh524
Without chemistry at A level and a baD biology grade (thanks immaturity) I'm really quite limited...

GAMSAT wasn't hard I thought, it was just so time pressured. I had to guess a fair few sec 3. Sec 1 and 2 were fine enough. As far as I have researched here are my options....

Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry, -50:50 weighting....too late a bloomer in academics I'm afraid (even if I do lecture now occasionally!)
Bristol (University of), Faculty of Medicine-need better academics as no entry test
Cambridge (University of), School of Clinical Medicine- need BMAT and better academics
Imperial College School of Medicine, London-just couldnt face doing the BMAT after doing my Gamsat and UKCAT....exhausted.
Liverpool (University of), Faculty of Health and Life Sciences-need chem for both undergrad and grad.
Newcastle University Medical School-not high enough ukcat GEM, undergrad need chem
Nottingham (The University of), Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences- will apply
Southampton (University of), School of Medicine- too low ukcat, need chem for undergrad
St George's, University of London-higher gamsat than notts and swansea, prefer those 2

Dunde- same as aberdeen
Glasgow- might apply
St Andrews-need chem.

Pretty sure for Newcastle 5 year you only need a degree. No chem requirement

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lxh524

Dunde- same as aberdeen
Glasgow- might apply
St Andrews-need chem.

what about leicester's 5-year course. (we have similar application profiles so I've looked at some options)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending