The Student Room Group

Personal Statement Help!

The concept of the paragraphs on the ucas website is really confusing me.
Does it just have to be on the next line or should a whole line be left blank to show it is a new pragraph?
Original post by tcameron
The concept of the paragraphs on the ucas website is really confusing me.
Does it just have to be on the next line or should a whole line be left blank to show it is a new pragraph?

Ideally, you want to leave a line between paragraphs, to make the PS as easy as possible for admissions tutors to read, and leaving a line is conventional in word processed documents. This will create a better impression on admissions tutors than not leaving a line.
Reply 2
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Ideally, you want to leave a line between paragraphs, to make the PS as easy as possible for admissions tutors to read, and leaving a line is conventional in word processed documents. This will create a better impression on admissions tutors than not leaving a line.

Whilst leaving lines would look much better than a block of text, everyone I've asked has said that more content is more important (the lines between paragraphs count towards the 47 lines). However, if OP has a short enough personal statement, then they should definitely leave lines between paragraphs.
Original post by ombtom
Whilst leaving lines would look much better than a block of text, everyone I've asked has said that more content is more important (the lines between paragraphs count towards the 47 lines). However, if OP has a short enough personal statement, then they should definitely leave lines between paragraphs.

The thing is, content is only worthwhile if it is easily readable- the harder your statement is to read, the more likely things are to get missed. The majority of personal statements can easily have 4 lines worth of filler removed without losing any content, as people just aren't very concise.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending