The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LamantChenille
Anybody else doing MLAT or OLAT? The OLAT is quite fun I'm finding, but the MLAT is not. :s-smilie:

I did the MLAT last year - it's mainly grammar stuff, so have a go at revising using languagesonline if you're stuggling a bit (look at your tenses). :smile:
Original post by student0105
May I ask you how did you enter your ICSE marks via UCAS? does it immediately get converted to grades and if it does, what are the grade boundaries? ICSE student here.. :smile: Thank you!

Nope. Select India - ICSE as the qualification, and enter the subject and the marks accordingly
Original post by gkallikas
I'm still waiting on mine >.< they said tomorrow maximum, I hope they keep their promise! Good luck with yours!

Gahh how annoying! I kept pestering my teacher everyday to get her on it because it was stressing me out. I hope you'll get to send it off tomorrow though because I know exactly how you feel. Thank you and good luck to you as well! :smile:
Hi everyone,

I have written my PS and am happy with it.

I want to read Classics 1A at St John's.

However, in the last few weeks I have been considering a deferred entry for 2017, I want to spend a year broadening my experience of life, writing and travelling (in part in the Classical world), before thrusting into 4 years of solid hard work.

However, my dilemma is that I know that this will make it harder to gain a place and there will inevitably be concerns that my Latin and Greek with diminish in that year - I do intend to keep studying, though obviously at a lesser intensity to my current Pre-U work.

The Faculty of Classics FAQ is more positive on gap years than I thought they'd be - but am I shooting myself in the foot?

Any thoughts would be very welcome - I know I have left this very late!!

Gerry.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Gerald DGrilla
Hi everyone,

However, in the last few weeks I have been considering a deferred entry for 2017, I want to spend a year broadening my experience of life, writing and travelling (in part in the Classical world), before thrusting into 4 years of solid hard work.

However, my dilemma is that I know that this will make it harder to gain a place and there will inevitably be concerns that my Latin and Greek with diminish in that year - I do intend to keep studying, though obviously at a lesser intensity to my current Pre-U work.

The Faculty of Classics FAQ is more positive on gap years than I thought they'd be - but am I shooting myself in the foot?

Gerry.

Hi there,

I probably won't be a massive help. But I have applied to Oxford for deferred 2017 entry for French and Hebrew and I think that if a gap year is something you want to do, you should totally do it. Gap years can be a waste of time, but if you use your year wisely and make the most of extra opportunities, as it sounds like you are thinking of doing, then they can also be really valuable. I asked at the open day and the Modern Languages faculty said that taking a gap year would not disadvantage you and that, if you were good enough to do direct entry, you would be considered for deferred entry. The only cases where they would actively discriminate against a gap year candidate is if they had wasted the year snorkelling in Thailand or something.

Basically, what I am trying to say is that you shouldn't be afraid of taking a gap year because you think that it will ruin your chances, it probably won't. And if it does affect them, the beauty of a gap year is that you can reapply with all of your extra experience and confirmed A level grades the next year.

Don't stress and good luck deciding!
Will I get in trouble for plagiarising if I use a paragraph from my personal statement from last year on this year's application? I'm reapplying to the same course. It's still my own work, and it's in relation to one of my extracurriculars and how it relates to my subject so nothing has changed in the past year.
Lol, I really shouldn't think so?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The only problem I could see is from the automated system in UCAS that compares personal statements with ones from previous years, but is there an actual person who looks at these situations and says "oh yeah this is the same person" or no?
Hi there,

I probably won't be a massive help. But I have applied to Oxford for deferred 2017 entry for French and Hebrew and I think that if a gap year is something you want to do, you should totally do it. Gap years can be a waste of time, but if you use your year wisely and make the most of extra opportunities, as it sounds like you are thinking of doing, then they can also be really valuable. I asked at the open day and the Modern Languages faculty said that taking a gap year would not disadvantage you and that, if you were good enough to do direct entry, you would be considered for deferred entry. The only cases where they would actively discriminate against a gap year candidate is if they had wasted the year snorkelling in Thailand or something.

Basically, what I am trying to say is that you shouldn't be afraid of taking a gap year because you think that it will ruin your chances, it probably won't. And if it does affect them, the beauty of a gap year is that you can reapply with all of your extra experience and confirmed A level grades the next year.

Don't stress and good luck deciding!

Contrary to your opening words, that has in fact been very helpful!

I think I will sleep on it, but I am inclined to apply for deferred entry.

Very best,
G
Original post by humortime
The only problem I could see is from the automated system in UCAS that compares personal statements with ones from previous years, but is there an actual person who looks at these situations and says "oh yeah this is the same person" or no?

The system does that anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by eobrien659
GCSEs: 3A*s, 5A and a B
A Levels: English Lit, History and Politics (AAA and a B in maths at AS)
Predicted: A*A*A*
Course: English Lanaguage and Literature
College: University

It's so reassuring to see someone else with these kinds of GCSEs here! TSR can be such an irrepresentative slice of people - it's either the people with half a dozen A*s every year since birth, or the ones who clearly don't have a chance at all. I've been panicking about my GCSEs and to a lesser extent my ASs (3A*s, 8.5 As and AABC with sort of extenuating circumstances, respectively) because they certainly don't fit into the first group and I'm scared that means I belong in the second!!! I wanted to go into art until just after the AS exams, so I never worked quite as hard as I could have...

I'm hoping my predictions (A*A*A*), personal statement, reference and written work - there's no test for my course, Arch and Anth - will be enough to squeeze me into the interview, and from there I think I'll have a decent chance as I'm incredibly passionate about the subject and love discussing it with knowledgeable people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi! I'm applying to Oxford's English and Modern Languages course (my modern language being French) for 2016 entry, and I was wondering if there were any other applicants applying from the U.S.? I'd love to discuss the application process with you! Also, if any students have advice for studying for the MLAT, it'd be greatly appreciated! I'm worried that my experience studying language in the U.S. won't compare to that of those studying British A levels :/
Original post by SGrice
Hi! I'm applying to Oxford's English and Modern Languages course (my modern language being French) for 2016 entry, and I was wondering if there were any other applicants applying from the U.S.? I'd love to discuss the application process with you! Also, if any students have advice for studying for the MLAT, it'd be greatly appreciated! I'm worried that my experience studying language in the U.S. won't compare to that of those studying British A levels :/

I'm applying from the US, but I'm applying for Mathematics with Computer Science, so I'm taking the MAT. My counselor refused to give predicted grades, so that'll be interesting. Also, UCAS is so much easier to use than the common app. What're your test scores and AP's you're taking this year? Mine are:

2190 SAT, 800 M, 770 CR, 620 W

Math Scores:
740 Math 2 SAT2 (10th grade)
800 Math 2 SAT2(11th grade)
5 Calculus BC, with 5 for AB subscore
I'm taking Multivariable Calculus and Linear Algebra this year

Physics Scores:
750 SAT2
3 Physics 1
Taking Physics C both parts

Humanities Scores:
770 World History SAT2
760 Literature SAT2
5 World History
5 Lang
4 US History
Taking Lit, Comparative Gov, and US Gov.

I couldn't take AP computer science because of a schedule conflict
I'm a bit worried about APUSH and Physics 1, but I had my counselor mention in her reference that both of those exams were substantially changed last year.
Original post by annzabelle
I'm applying from the US, but I'm applying for Mathematics with Computer Science, so I'm taking the MAT. My counselor refused to give predicted grades, so that'll be interesting. Also, UCAS is so much easier to use than the common app. What're your test scores and AP's you're taking this year? Mine are:

2190 SAT, 800 M, 770 CR, 620 W

Math Scores:
740 Math 2 SAT2 (10th grade)
800 Math 2 SAT2(11th grade)
5 Calculus BC, with 5 for AB subscore
I'm taking Multivariable Calculus and Linear Algebra this year

Physics Scores:
750 SAT2
3 Physics 1
Taking Physics C both parts

Humanities Scores:
770 World History SAT2
760 Literature SAT2
5 World History
5 Lang
4 US History
Taking Lit, Comparative Gov, and US Gov.

I couldn't take AP computer science because of a schedule conflict
I'm a bit worried about APUSH and Physics 1, but I had my counselor mention in her reference that both of those exams were substantially changed last year.

SAT 620 M 800 CR 700 W
I also took the October SAT, but I'm still waiting on those scores to come in.
In the past I've taken AP Human Geography, World History, Art History, Physics 1 (if it comforts you at all, I didn't even pass this one), U.S. History, and Language and Comp. This year, I'm taking AP Govt., Microeconomics, Lit. and Comp., European History, and Environmental Science. I'm in level 4 French, but it's the same class period and course material as AP French 5, so I'll likely be taking that test as well.
It's interesting to hear that you've been having difficulty with your counselor because mine's been giving me some trouble too. My AP English and Comp. teacher wrote my reference letter though.
Where are you taking your exams? I can't believe there are only 5 centers in the U.S.! The center I'm going to is charging $250 a test, which I personally think is an awfully high price to take a couple of tests that give me a chance of getting an interview that gives me the chance of being accepted. Is it the same for you?
Original post by SGrice
SAT 620 M 800 CR 700 W
I also took the October SAT, but I'm still waiting on those scores to come in.
In the past I've taken AP Human Geography, World History, Art History, Physics 1 (if it comforts you at all, I didn't even pass this one), U.S. History, and Language and Comp. This year, I'm taking AP Govt., Microeconomics, Lit. and Comp., European History, and Environmental Science. I'm in level 4 French, but it's the same class period and course material as AP French 5, so I'll likely be taking that test as well.
It's interesting to hear that you've been having difficulty with your counselor because mine's been giving me some trouble too. My AP English and Comp. teacher wrote my reference letter though.
Where are you taking your exams? I can't believe there are only 5 centers in the U.S.! The center I'm going to is charging $250 a test, which I personally think is an awfully high price to take a couple of tests that give me a chance of getting an interview that gives me the chance of being accepted. Is it the same for you?

I'm taking mine at the British international school of Washington DC. They "only" charged me $135. At least the UCAS application fee is really low. I found the UCAS personal statement to be way easier to write than the common app one. Are you applying to US schools or just UK schools?
Contrary to your opening words, that has in fact been very helpful!

I think I will sleep on it, but I am inclined to apply for deferred entry.

Very best,
G

Glad to be of assistance! :smile:
Hi everyone,

Gerry.

I can't be of any assistance whatsoever regarding how taking a gap year would affect your application, but I did just want to say that I would definitely recommend going travelling.

I went all over the place in 2012 - Australia, the US, South America and a bunch of places in between, and I can say it was easily the best thing I have ever done. It's kind of cliched to say it's life changing, but it really is! And you would come back to 'work' completely refreshed.

Not sure how much travelling you would do etc, and, like I said, maybe this would harm your application, I really have no idea about that. But I am sure that you would have an amazing time if you decided to take a year out and see the world. And I just felt obliged to say that!
Original post by MouseyBrown
I can't be of any assistance whatsoever regarding how taking a gap year would affect your application, but I did just want to say that I would definitely recommend going travelling.

I went all over the place in 2012 - Australia, the US, South America and a bunch of places in between, and I can say it was easily the best thing I have ever done. It's kind of cliched to say it's life changing, but it really is! And you would come back to 'work' completely refreshed.

Not sure how much travelling you would do etc, and, like I said, maybe this would harm your application, I really have no idea about that. But I am sure that you would have an amazing time if you decided to take a year out and see the world. And I just felt obliged to say that!

Great, sounds amazing, thanks. G
Original post by annzabelle
I'm taking mine at the British international school of Washington DC. They "only" charged me $135. At least the UCAS application fee is really low. I found the UCAS personal statement to be way easier to write than the common app one. Are you applying to US schools or just UK schools?

U.S. schools as well. Even if I get accepted to all the U.K. schools I applied to, there's no guarantee that I'll be able to afford any of them.
Schools I'm applying to:
U.K.: Oxford, St. Andrews, Durham, Exeter, and Queen Mary's
Top U.S. Schools: Boston U, George Washington, Rhodes, Williams, and UT
What about you? Also, if you get shortlisted for Oxford, do you plan on flying there or doing a Skype interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd hate to be kept waiting like that, it would drive me mad. My school has many faults, bt it is really good at UCAS!

I wish I could say the same for my school! The way I'm looking at things, they'll be sending my application on the last day. Just the wrong people in wrong positions... Consider yourself lucky in this aspect! Good luck!

Latest

Trending

Trending