The Student Room Group

Organising work experience - how long to wait for a response from school?

Hi,

I'm trying to get some school experience before applying for teacher training.
I've found a local school which always looks for volunteers. How long after applying should I wait before contacting them again? Would it be a bad idea to contact other schools while I'm waiting?
I always follow up on any emails or phone calls after a week so if it's been longer than that, definitely chase them! It is a busy time of year for schools but best to remind them than get forgotten about!

And definitely contact other schools, not all schools get back to you and not all that do say yes.
Original post by ludmila
Hi,

I'm trying to get some school experience before applying for teacher training.
I've found a local school which always looks for volunteers. How long after applying should I wait before contacting them again? Would it be a bad idea to contact other schools while I'm waiting?

It's manic at this time of year in a school so give them at least a week. Some students did not get back until Monday 7th and the timetable is still 'bedding down'. If you've already contacted them give it a fortnight if you contact them now then wait until the end of next week.
Reply 3
Original post by Muttley79
It's manic at this time of year in a school so give them at least a week. Some students did not get back until Monday 7th and the timetable is still 'bedding down'. If you've already contacted them give it a fortnight if you contact them now then wait until the end of next week.

Original post by Aemiliana
I always follow up on any emails or phone calls after a week so if it's been longer than that, definitely chase them! It is a busy time of year for schools but best to remind them than get forgotten about!

And definitely contact other schools, not all schools get back to you and not all that do say yes.

Thank you for the replies. It's been a while since then but everything worked out great in the end. I waited for about 2 weeks and then went to school in person and my volunteering was sorted within a day.
Original post by ludmila
Thank you for the replies. It's been a while since then but everything worked out great in the end. I waited for about 2 weeks and then went to school in person and my volunteering was sorted within a day.

I'm pleased you got it sorted :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79
I'm pleased you got it sorted :smile:

Thank you. I've been really enjoying my days at school (so far) :smile:
Reply 6
Just an update: I've applied for PGCE Secondary Maths and have been offered a place. Seems like my volunteering has paid off ... woohoo :smile:
Original post by ludmila
Just an update: I've applied for PGCE Secondary Maths and have been offered a place. Seems like my volunteering has paid off ... woohoo :smile:

Welcome to the profession.
Reply 8
Original post by Mr M
Welcome to the profession.

Thank you, Mr M.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending