Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

2016 Durham University hopefuls

Scroll to see replies

Reply 340
Original post by TTWNGCBC
No, I haven't done a separate statement. Is there a particular reason why I should have?

I know a few people doing a separate one because Durham actually like the extra curricular stuff like sport, music etc. But I really don't think it's that much of a big deal. Your grades are solid and as long as your ps is decent too you will definitely get an offer

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by owenj4
I know a few people doing a separate one because Durham actually like the extra curricular stuff like sport, music etc. But I really don't think it's that much of a big deal. Your grades are solid and as long as your ps is decent too you will definitely get an offer

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah I heard that they like extra curricular so that makes sense. Unfortunately I don't do any sports or music or anything so my ps pretty much contains the extent of my extra curricular.
Reply 342
Ah I heard that they like extra curricular so that makes sense. Unfortunately I don't do any sports or music or anything so my ps pretty much contains the extent of my extra curricular.

Same here! Hopefully my academic achievements will be enough 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm applying for Law at Van Mildert!
GCSE: 14A*'s 2A's
AS subjects: Biology, Chemistry, History and English Lit
AS: AABB
Predicted: A*A*A*
Reply 344
Original post by gemmabeth
I'm applying for Law at Van Mildert!
GCSE: 14A*'s 2A's
AS subjects: Biology, Chemistry, History and English Lit
AS: AABB
Predicted: A*A*A*

Out of curiosity, how come you are predicted an A* if you got a B at AS in one of your subjects? Just wondering :smile: my school require us to get a high A before predicting us A*s :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by owenj4
Out of curiosity, how come you are predicted an A* if you got a B at AS in one of your subjects? Just wondering :smile: my school require us to get a high A before predicting us A*s :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

My teachers think I should have gotten an A because I was working at an A all year but just panicked in the exam or something because I made a few too many stupid mistakes when we got the papers back, I've got to resit the modules but hopefully it'll be fine :smile:
Reply 346
Just out of curiosity, I see lots of people with 4 AS's but only 3 A2. Why do people drop a subject in A2 even if they got an A? I mean, doesn't it make sense to have a backup subject?
Original post by pecora
Just out of curiosity, I see lots of people with 4 AS's but only 3 A2. Why do people drop a subject in A2 even if they got an A? I mean, doesn't it make sense to have a backup subject?

Speaking for myself, I dropped one so that I could fully concentrate on and invest more time in the other three (especially because A2 is supposedly harder than AS!) to make sure I fulfil any uni offers. Although I do know people that do five (!) so I guess it just comes down to how much work/pressure you can handle and time management along with extra curricular etc.
Aww thanks :smile: what are you predicted? For my course the entry requirements are only AAA so I'm sure if you have solid predictions you will get an offer just fine! And those are great AS levels too.

No, I haven't done a separate statement. Is there a particular reason why I should have?

Don't think my teachers have made predictions yet :frown: hopefully a*a*a but Lit may predict me a B instead and my entry requirements are a*aa for the joint honours that's why I'm a bit wary but hopefully everything goes to plan! And thank you!! Also no you don't have to do one but a durham admissions person who visited my college recommended it to me if you want to be more specific but it's not necessary if you're applying for the same course everywhere and your personal statement is already how durham want it so I haven't made one either :/ hopefully it's not a disadvantage

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jill800
Don't think my teachers have made predictions yet :frown: hopefully a*a*a but Lit may predict me a B instead and my entry requirements are a*aa for the joint honours that's why I'm a bit wary but hopefully everything goes to plan! And thank you!! Also no you don't have to do one but a durham admissions person who visited my college recommended it to me if you want to be more specific but it's not necessary if you're applying for the same course everywhere and your personal statement is already how durham want it so I haven't made one either :/ hopefully it's not a disadvantage

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck with getting the predicted grades you need. Even if you're predicted a B at first, you may be able to get your school to raise it. Plenty of people at my school have managed this.
Original post by pecora

Most university courses only require you to have 3 A levels. I know if I had continued with all 4 I would struggle to keep on top of my work and my grades would drop so I'd actually be at risk of not getting the grades I need to go to the unis I am applying for.
Good luck with getting the predicted grades you need. Even if you're predicted a B at first, you may be able to get your school to raise it. Plenty of people at my school have managed this.

A guy at my school got an E at AS in maths and got his teacher to predict him a B XD
Original post by katie_eleanor
A guy at my school got an E at AS in maths and got his teacher to predict him a B XD

Legend 😄

Thank you!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys could I have some tips for the intro for a personal statement? I'm trying so hard but my opening paragraph never seems right and apparently Durham really take your ps into account - I'm applying for Biological Science at St Johns btw :smile:
Anyone got an offer yet? When do Durham usually start offering?
Reply 356
Anyone got an offer yet? When do Durham usually start offering?

Durham apparently offer quite late, I know someone last year who didn't hear back until February time after applying in October, so it could be a while yet :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Padc
Durham apparently offer quite late, I know someone last year who didn't hear back until February time after applying in October, so it could be a while yet :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahhh I can't wait that long!
Anyone had an acknowledgement yet?
As long as your extra curriculum activities link in with your degree of choice, then University of "X" will be interessted in you. I am going to Durham next year to study Sports and Physical activity; Although I want to do journalism or psychology in sport, Durham is perfect.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending