The Student Room Group

Mphil Management Cambridge 2016/2017

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by cambridgewh
Thank you for your kind evaluation - I certainly hope I can get on the course!

Are you applying for the course as well, what is your profile like? :smile:

I am currently a second year ucl electronic engineering student, so I will not apply until next year. My profile is quite similar to yours actually.
- 82% overall
- one systems engineer internship in China
- vice chairman of a student society
- several projects related to engineering and programming
(edited 8 years ago)
Hello all!
I'm in the middle of filling out the application as well :smile:
I made all the essays needed into the list here!

1.Please provide details of your previous degree level study. You should list only the most important and most relevant to your proposed study at Cambridge.
2.Please provide a summary of your research proposal, or (for taught courses) your reason for wanting to undertake the course.
3.You could include here any non-academic activities that you have undertaken which you feel may be beneficial to your application, (e.g. sporting interests, volunteer activities, personal interests etc.).
4.Please give an outline of your future career plans and intentions and explain how your proposed studies in Cambridge will help to achieve these aims.

May I ask is there any other international applicant? (btw I'm from South East Asia)
and I am also in between of seeking the scholarship/grant for the course.
There is Gates Cambridge, which I heard their competition is super tough,
and unfortunately Chevening (UK Gov) Scholarship doesn't cover pre-experience course :frown:
Hi there!

How is your profile like? You will need GRE to apply for the course given that you're an international applicant, right?

I didn't apply for funding so couldn't help you out :smile:

Cheers

Original post by miremind
Hello all!

1.Please provide details of your previous degree level study. You should list only the most important and most relevant to your proposed study at Cambridge.
2.Please provide a summary of your research proposal, or (for taught courses) your reason for wanting to undertake the course.
3.You could include here any non-academic activities that you have undertaken which you feel may be beneficial to your application, (e.g. sporting interests, volunteer activities, personal interests etc.).
4.Please give an outline of your future career plans and intentions and explain how your proposed studies in Cambridge will help to achieve these aims.

May I ask is there any other international applicant? (btw I'm from South East Asia)
and unfortunately Chevening (UK Gov) Scholarship doesn't cover pre-experience course :frown:
Reply 23
Hello all!

I'm an international applicant as well, from northern Europe. I am currently filling out the application, writing my essays etc. but I can't find no.1 on your list on the online application?
Hi there!

How is your profile like? You will need GRE to apply for the course given that you're an international applicant, right?

I didn't apply for funding so couldn't help you out :smile:

Cheers

I just graduated from a design school from top#1 university in my country with gpa 3.77, First Class honours I am the first top (1%) of my class. Done part-time works between my study and internship in the design field. Also organised events and exhibitions for for faculty. Hope I would stand a chance! it's not typical for design graduate to pursue management degree I think.

it states on the requirement that GRE is not need if you come from recognised university. I don't know if my university is counted but I don't I will taking GRE. Also I'm busying preparing for IELTS. :smile:
Original post by Alexwin
I'm an international applicant as well, from northern Europe. I am currently filling out the application, writing my essays etc. but I can't find no.1 on your list on the online application?

I copy the detail from application guide (the pdf one).
actually it's the same one as on the 2nd page (A6).
Anyone sent their application off yet?
Reply 27
Hello all!

Hello, can I ask you a question, since there is no need to submit our CV, is there somewhere in the application need to write down your work experience (internship)?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Zhedong
Hello, can I ask you a question, since there is no need to submit our CV, is there somewhere in the application need to write down your work experience (internship)?

You could include it in the extracurricular section surely? Or undertaking the work experience was reason you decided to apply to the course you could include it in the first section?
Submitted last week and both references just came in. Off to the start of a long wait :smile: What about yourself?

Original post by EconomistJack
Submitted last week and both references just came in. Off to the start of a long wait :smile: What about yourself?

Nice - I'm exactly the same! Despite knowing it will probably be months before an outcome, I still have the urge to check for updates!

Are you applying elsewhere?
Reply 31

I can't stop rewriting and altering my essays... Plus I am waiting to hear from a internship I applied for which starts in January. Though I'd put it in my employment section. I am not looking forward to the long wait, though.

if I may ask, did you put extracurricular activities in the "additional information" section or did you talk about your love for reading scientific articles etc?
(edited 8 years ago)
Luckily the urge hasn't kicked in yet for me :tongue:

I'm also applying to LSE's MSc Economics and Management, as well as MSc Management, Organisations and Governance. What about yourself?

Nice - I'm exactly the same! Despite knowing it will probably be months before an outcome, I still have the urge to check for updates!

Are you applying elsewhere?
Additional information :smile:

Original post by Alexwin
I can't stop rewriting and altering my essays... Plus I am waiting to hear from a internship I applied for which starts in January. Though I'd put it in my employment section. I am not looking forward to the long wait, though.

if I may ask, did you put extracurricular activities in the "additional information" section or did you talk about your love for reading scientific articles etc?
Original post by Alexwin

What sort of internship is it? If you really think it is paramount that you include it then you should wait to find out and mention it - although you won't really be able to say what you've learnt from it etc.

I put mine in the second section. I broadly interpreted the questions as "Why Management?", Extracurriculars, and "Why Cambridge?" The character limits made it difficult to write truly reflective answers though.

What is your profile like?
Luckily the urge hasn't kicked in yet for me :tongue:

I'm also applying to LSE's MSc Economics and Management, as well as MSc Management, Organisations and Governance. What about yourself?

I'm undecided right now, but most likely a selection of Management and Economics programmes at the likes of UCL/Warwick/Imperial. But this course is by far my preference!
Reply 36
What sort of internship is it? If you really think it is paramount that you include it then you should wait to find out and mention it - although you won't really be able to say what you've learnt from it etc.

I put mine in the second section. I broadly interpreted the questions as "Why Management?", Extracurriculars, and "Why Cambridge?" The character limits made it difficult to write truly reflective answers though.

What is your profile like?

The internship is at a consulting firm. I thought it might tweak my application. Even if I don't write anything about it in my essays and just put it in the employment section. I am hoping it might enhance my ambitions stated in the essays.

Yeah, that's pretty much the way I interpreted it too. The limit really is challenging.

I am a Pol Sci student from Scandinavia. first class with quite a lot of extracurricular (head of student union, lead some uni projects etc.). Currently doing an internship at a state department. No blue chip companies on my resume, though.

What about you?
Original post by Alexwin

The limit really is challenging.

I am a Pol Sci student from Scandinavia. first class with quite a lot of extracurricular (head of student union, lead some uni projects etc.). Currently doing an internship at a state department. No blue chip companies on my resume, though.

What about you?

I know - fitting my extracurriculars into ~200 words was diffIcult. Didn't know whether to mention a large variety or a couple in more detail.

Nice! Whereabouts in Scandinavia? I might put in an application to CBS, but that wouldn't be for about six months.

Your profile sounds good - I wouldn't worry too much about blue-chip companies since it is a pre-experience programme I think they mainly just want an idea of your motivation.
Reply 38
I know - fitting my extracurriculars into ~200 words was diffIcult. Didn't know whether to mention a large variety or a couple in more detail.

Nice! Whereabouts in Scandinavia? I might put in an application to CBS, but that wouldn't be for about six months.

Your profile sounds good - I wouldn't worry too much about blue-chip companies since it is a pre-experience programme I think they mainly just want an idea of your motivation.

Nice! what degree are you looking into at CBS? What's your profile like?
Original post by Alexwin
Nice! what degree are you looking into at CBS? What's your profile like?

Something Management/Econ related - haven't done much research since it's sort of a back up and the applications don't even open for four/five months!

I've got a first class in economics from a 20th ranked UK university, did an internship in china this summer, one internship on an academic research project, couple of student council/leadership positions at university.

I have no idea about my chances - spoken to a couple of people from Cambridge who think I have a shot but I'm sure my profile is pretty typical.
What about yourself?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending