The Student Room Group

Help !! Just get rejection from Warwick

I have applied for a diploma in Economics in Warwick as i am doing BSc in Banking and International Finance. I know t the lack of economics background really stops me to study Msc in Economics, so i applied for diploma first ! However, Warwick rejected me !!! On its website, it states 2.1 degree is good enough, i am a 1st class student from Cass Business School, and at least i would say Cass is a relatively presitigous business school, 1st class from Cass should be enough for me to get in Warwick not even mention the fact that i am top 5 students in all my economics modules !! Can someone help me out ????

Scroll to see replies

email & ask for feedback
Reply 2
Original post by gr8wizard10
email & ask for feedback

Does it help ? I could not possibly think of a reason to get rejection.
Emailing them or even calling them will be your best hope.
I'm sorry that it happened to you, but the only way you can know is by contacting them directly.
Reply 4
Original post by megan.gurr
Emailing them or even calling them will be your best hope.
I'm sorry that it happened to you, but the only way you can know is by contacting them directly.

Do you know someone in your life who has successfully argued for a place
I am top 10 students in all my economics module, i should be entitled for a diploma in Economics at least !!!!
'Entitled'? There is possibly one reason Warwick didn't want you. How incredibly arrogant. You are assuming that a) a First Class degree is like some sort of golden calling card and trumps everything, b) that it was the only thing they would have looked at.

You have already acknowledged that you have not previously studied Economics. Since an MSc is an extension of previous knowledge not a 'quick fix because I did the wrong subject first time around', it is highly likely this was a factor. Secondly, this is Warwick we are talking about. They are top of the tree and can be exceedingly picky about who they take. Finally, I assume there was a 'personal statement' of some sort. Clearly you didn't tell them what they wanted to hear.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by returnmigrant
'Entitled'? There is possibly one reason Warwick didn't want you. How incredibly arrogant. You are assuming that a) a First Class degree is like some sort of golden calling card and trumps everything, b) that it was the only thing they would have looked at.

You have already acknowledged that you have not previously studied Economics. Since an MSc is an extension of previous knowledge not a 'quick fix because I did the wrong subject first time around', it is highly likely this was a factor. Secondly, this is Warwick we are talking about. They are top of the tree and can be exceedingly picky about who they take. Finally, I assume there was a 'personal statement' of some sort. Clearly you didn't tell them what they wanted to hear.

However, I applied for diploma in economics, which is a conversion course for those students who are lacking of economics background. I am not a arrogant person, but I have been told from the very first day that academic merit is the most important thing UK uni looking for,
Of course academic merit is important, but it's demonstrated through all aspects of your application. Note just your grades in isolation. They'd look for:

...actual or predicted grade for your BSc - a 2.1 isn't 'good enough', it's the minimum for Warwick. Lots of applicants will have firsts.
…other academic factors - you need to meet all the requirements including A levels or equivalent
…excellent references. Did your referees state your position in class and support your suitability for postgraduate study?
…statement - if you approached this with an 'entitled' attitude, it's possible that this came through, or that you didn't put as much thought into it as you could have done because you assumed you'd be accepted.

There must have been something in one of these aspects that they didn't quite like about your application. The only way of finding out is to contact them and ask for feedback. It is worth doing this to inform your future applications, to Warwick or elsewhere.

Original post by joeyye520
i am top 5 students in all my economics modules

I am top 10 students in all my economics module

…..accuracy is important…….
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Jantaculum
Of course academic merit is important, but it's demonstrated through all aspects of your application. Note just your grades in isolation. They'd look for:

...actual or predicted grade for your BSc - a 2.1 isn't 'good enough', it's the minimum for Warwick. Lots of applicants will have firsts.
…other academic factors - you need to meet all the requirements including A levels or equivalent
…excellent references. Did your referees state your position in class and support your suitability for postgraduate study?
…statement - if you approached this with an 'entitled' attitude, it's possible that this came through, or that you didn't put as much thought into it as you could have done because you assumed you'd be accepted.

There must have been something in one of these aspects that they didn't quite like about your application. The only way of finding out is to contact them and ask for feedback. It is worth doing this to inform your future applications, to Warwick or elsewhere.

…..accuracy is important…….

I do not have a accurate rank, but if there are only 10 people above 80, and I got 80, I must be top 10 right ?
Reply 9
I do not have a accurate rank, but if there are only 10 people above 80, and I got 80, I must be top 10 right ?

I only said entitled at there. I did not write anything arrogant in my personal statement, and I have been awarding scholarship for 3 years. I am proud of my academic merit, I must admit that I was expecting an conditional offer from Warwick.

umm no - you would be 11th or below…

But seriously..

I only said entitled at there. I did not write anything arrogant in my personal statement, and I have been awarding scholarship for 3 years. I am proud of my academic merit, I must admit that I was expecting an conditional offer from Warwick.

You're obviously doing really well at Cass, but there is just something that Warwick didn't like. It's hard to tell what that was, and if you don't know, then people on TSR aren't going to be able to tell either. For your own peace of mind, it would be best just to ask Warwick. I'm sorry that you were disappointed.
Reply 11
Original post by Jantaculum
umm no - you would be 11th or below…

But seriously..

You're obviously doing really well at Cass, but there is just something that Warwick didn't like. It's hard to tell what that was, and if you don't know, then people on TSR aren't going to be able to tell either. For your own peace of mind, it would be best just to ask Warwick. I'm sorry that you were disappointed.

Thank you very much. Going to call them at 9. I received that peculiar rejection at 22.21 yesterday, the time was really strange. Could not sleep all night
Thank you very much. Going to call them at 9. I received that peculiar rejection at 22.21 yesterday, the time was really strange. Could not sleep all night

Best thing to do is to try and find out why, as others have said. But when you phone/email them, try not to be arrogant by saying 1st class degree etc.

Best of Luck! :smile:
Reply 13
I remember looking into the course and I actually met an alumnus of the course at a networking event a while back. He told me that the quantitative requirements were still high, despite the fact that it is a diploma. I'm not sure about your particular course, but Finance is not nearly as quantitative as Economics, especially at Warwick.

I would call them and ask for feedback. From my experience, e-mail is very generic.
Reply 14
Original post by emiloujess
Best thing to do is to try and find out why, as others have said. But when you phone/email them, try not to be arrogant by saying 1st class degree etc.

This! Manners go a long way, especially when dealing with admin staff.
Original post by WokSz
This! Manners go a long way, especially when dealing with admin staff.

Lol I only know that from what I've read, I've only just been able to log into Track haha :smile:
Reply 16
Lol I only know that from what I've read, I've only just been able to log into Track haha :smile:

Good luck with your applications! :smile:
Original post by WokSz
Good luck with your applications! :smile:

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 18

Have contacted them, give it a final try. I did not say 1st class, I just said scored above 70. Thanks for everybody's help
Have contacted them, give it a final try. I did not say 1st class, I just said scored above 70. Thanks for everybody's help

Hope you get an answer, good luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending