The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Any thoughts anyone?

I didn't see my reference until after my application was sent off, but my school doesn't certificate AS grades so none of my unis will know about my grades.

I got 98.6 UMS average over my top three ASs, but this wasn't mentioned. Is it worth ringing up the unis to let them know this? I know Cambridge care more than Oxford about marks and suchlike, so does it matter?

My predicted grades should reflect the fact that I got high UMS, just wondering if it would better my chances to explicitly put the marks down - some schools predict A*s casually anyway so I don't know how much credibility my pred. grades will grant me!! Thx in advance for any advice :smile:

Maybe Brasenose Admin...do you have any idea? Thanks!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by georgiaf
Any thoughts anyone?

I didn't see my reference until after my application was sent off, but my school doesn't certificate AS grades so none of my unis will know about my grades.

I got 98.6 UMS average over my top three ASs, but this wasn't mentioned. Is it worth ringing up the unis to let them know this? I know Cambridge care more than Oxford about marks and suchlike, so does it matter?

My predicted grades should reflect the fact that I got high UMS, just wondering if it would better my chances to explicitly put the marks down - some schools predict A*s casually anyway so I don't know how much credibility my pred. grades will grant me!! Thx in advance for any advice :smile:

I would mail them and simply ask if they are interested in them! Doesn't hurt.
Original post by vildeung
I would mail them and simply ask if they are interested in them! Doesn't hurt.

Thanks...that's a great idea :smile:
HI guys

i was wondering if you could give me some advice? i applied to Oxford (pembroke college) to do history but im quite worried about my chances there. i got mostly Bs and Cs in m y gcse's my ucas advisor said because my high school is one of the worst schools in manchester they will acknowlege that (only 40% got 5 A*-C's) also my KS5 education got disturbed when my college failed their Ofsted 3 times (great stuff) so i moved to another college and it was hectic and really depressing tbh because i just feel like i was not even good enough to apply and now i will get fully rejected but anyways i am estimated A*A*A and i just got accepted to KCL and warwick which i am super pleased about but i just wanted to know my chances at oxford doing history is it realistic ???????
Original post by unistresshelp
HI guys

i was wondering if you could give me some advice? i applied to Oxford (pembroke college) to do history but im quite worried about my chances there. i got mostly Bs and Cs in m y gcse's my ucas advisor said because my high school is one of the worst schools in manchester they will acknowlege that (only 40% got 5 A*-C's) also my KS5 education got disturbed when my college failed their Ofsted 3 times (great stuff) so i moved to another college and it was hectic and really depressing tbh because i just feel like i was not even good enough to apply and now i will get fully rejected but anyways i am estimated A*A*A and i just got accepted to KCL and warwick which i am super pleased about but i just wanted to know my chances at oxford doing history is it realistic ???????

To go from that background to A*A*A is amazing. I don't know if you are good enough to cope with Oxford, but Oxford loves amazing people! Go for it!

Gez
Original post by politicalmind
Ahaha too funny but too true... lets see what happens on the 4th of novembs

Best of luck; we're gonna need it! *fastens seatbelt* *inflates lifejacket* *fixes bayonet* *arms nuclear warheads* *locks bathroom door* *closes lid on the toilet*
Original post by Gerald DGrilla
To go from that background to A*A*A is amazing. I don't know if you are good enough to cope with Oxford, but Oxford loves amazing people! Go for it!

Gez

Thank you that means a lot!! do you think my GCSE's will be a problem
Reply 3187
Biochem application sent off!😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by georgiaf
Any thoughts anyone?

We think you could have quoted the AS grades on the UCAS form even though your school does not certificate them. We are not sure if you can go back and complete the module/unit section of the A level - if this is still possible, it is the simplest solution. Otherwise, you will have to ask your school to write a supplementary letter to the college applied for disclosing this information.

We receive a few letters every year from schools about omitted factual information and pass these to the selectors for consideration. What we can't do is accept unsolicited additional information from either applicants or other third parties since this would not be fair - all correspondence should go through the school.
Original post by unistresshelp
Thank you that means a lot!! do you think my GCSE's will be a problem

Your GCSE grades are indeed very low relative to those achieved by the majority of people who will be offered places, however, the context of your results is very, very important.

Oxford want the brightest and the best. If you went to Collet Court, then St Paul's and you grew up in a house full of books, and you had doors opened and wondrous opportunities at every turn, meeting great people and fantastic teachers, and both your parents were Oxbridge graduates and were now academics or professionals (I know people like this) then getting 10 GCSE A*s and 4 A-Level A*s would be 'normal'.

Look at the 2015 GCSE results for Westminster School, for example, where 97% of ALL GCSE exams taken are A*/A grade - and that is down on last year's 98% !!!

What matters is not the results themselves but what the results tell the admissions officers about you! And there context is very important.

Again, I do not know if you are good enough, but you have had to work really hard to achieve what you have - and that is important. You must have innate talent and genius - and that is what Oxford is looking for.

I am not knocking the sweet boys and girls of SP and W; they are very smart, and that is why W send half their sixth formers to Oxbridge - but Oxford admissions officers know what they are looking for and they might very well be looking for you.

And if it is not to be, then go and set another university alight and get a first, and go on to make your mark on the world!

Best of luck!
Big Gezza.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by bcmh
Biochem application sent off!😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same :smile:
Yo, folks, I've just send an application (FINALLY) and I got an automatic email, saying that my application was successful, but it said: ''It will usually take up 48 hours for us to process and send it to the universities and colleges that you have applied for. At deadlines this may be longer''.
Should I be worried about application being sent to Oxford? I mean, I've sent my application BEFORE the deadline, so It's up to UCAS to send it, right? Or am I too late for Oxford because of this sentence?
Reply 3192
Right, I was homeless for 6 months and on the child protection register until year 8. I'm still monitored by Social services now. I've also been to 5 schools (4 different). Out of the 5 ( I went to one twice), the only good one is my current sixth.

My reference has stuff on being homeless and ucas has school moves, but does the child protect/social serv stuff need to be put somewhere?
Original post by Nancy97
Yo, folks, I've just send an application (FINALLY) and I got an automatic email, saying that my application was successful, but it said: ''It will usually take up 48 hours for us to process and send it to the universities and colleges that you have applied for. At deadlines this may be longer''.
Should I be worried about application being sent to Oxford? I mean, I've sent my application BEFORE the deadline, so It's up to UCAS to send it, right? Or am I too late for Oxford because of this sentence?

No you're not too late. As far as I know, everyone who has been sending their applications this week got their application processed and their Welcome email fairly quickly. UCAS also extended their opening hours tomorrow just for all the early applicants. Just wait until tomorrow morning considering I don't think they'd be open now to process it and you should get a Welcome email then.
Original post by E air
Right, I was homeless for 6 months and on the child protection register until year 8. I'm still monitored by Social services now. I've also been to 5 schools (4 different). Out of the 5 ( I went to one twice), the only good one is my current sixth.

My reference has stuff on being homeless and ucas has school moves, but does the child protect/social serv stuff need to be put somewhere?

not unless you want them to know
Original post by karate-kid
Same :smile:

And me!
Original post by E air

If you've ever been in Care, this information is available and will be added to the UCAS application by University Admissions as contextual data. It is a simple yes/no flag and no further details are provided.
Original post by SGrice
Hi! I'm applying to Oxford's English and Modern Languages course (my modern language being French) for 2016 entry, and I was wondering if there were any other applicants applying from the U.S.? I'd love to discuss the application process with you! Also, if any students have advice for studying for the MLAT, it'd be greatly appreciated! I'm worried that my experience studying language in the U.S. won't compare to that of those studying British A levels :/

Hi! I'm also an American applying to study French (with History) at Christ Church. So happy to find some other Americans on this thread! For the MLAT, I'm just reading as much as I can in order to boost my vocabulary. And I'm placing an especial focus on the subjunctive - when it's used, how to conjugate irregular verbs, etc. I got a 5 on the AP and a 790 on the subject test, but my class is very much focused on improving communication skills and comfort with the language rather than technical grammar or specific vocab. So I'm a bit worried about getting tripped up by unfamiliar grammar things.
Original post by ranayounis
No you're not too late. As far as I know, everyone who has been sending their applications this week got their application processed and their Welcome email fairly quickly. UCAS also extended their opening hours tomorrow just for all the early applicants. Just wait until tomorrow morning considering I don't think they'd be open now to process it and you should get a Welcome email then.

You're right, I got an email five minutes after the completion of my application! *relief* i should now wait for the emails regarding written work, I guess... Everyone, good luck!!! And thank you! :biggrin:
anyone applying for st catherines?

Latest

Trending

Trending