The Student Room Group

TSR Tennis Society IV

Scroll to see replies

The doubles match was brilliant - tense from start to finish. Jamie Murray in particular was outstanding - Andy didn't serve that well at all but Jamie carried them at times. He's truly become one of the best doubles players in the world now.
Original post by RyJ
Unlikely, he'll destroy Tomic like he destroyed Kokkinakis!

I said his serve was a liability, not that he was going to lose to Tomic. He's world no. 3 with his weak as hell 2nd serve so unless he's injured or Tomic somehow plays the match of his life Andy should win.
Original post by Sirocco11
The doubles match was brilliant - tense from start to finish. Jamie Murray in particular was outstanding - Andy didn't serve that well at all but Jamie carried them at times. He's truly become one of the best doubles players in the world now.

Agree with every word.

Wonderful advert for doubles, and the competition itself which people don't seem to give a lot of credence too in England.
Reply 4423
Original post by lizzy95
I said his serve was a liability, not that he was going to lose to Tomic. He's world no. 3 with his weak as hell 2nd serve so unless he's injured or Tomic somehow plays the match of his life Andy should win.

Going by their previous play history, and having the home crowd behind him, I'd say it'll be a straight sets win for Murray. It just means we'll have to listen to The God-awful Proclaimers again... :colonhash: So embarrassing...
Original post by Mackay
Agree with every word.

Wonderful advert for doubles, and the competition itself which people don't seem to give a lot of credence too in England.

Definitely - it's so disappointing that it's treated like an after thought. I remember going to the 02 last year when the singles matches were generally absymal, but nearly every doubles match was high quality, and exciting. It's particularly sad that the best doubles pairing ever in the Bryan brothers win Grand Slams in half empty stadiums.

Just watching the match yesterday spoke volumes about the difference between singles and doubles. Andy Murray, as great a singles player as he is, is not a great doubles player. Despite what the tabloids will probably say about Murray single handedly carrying the GB team to victory, Jamie was the MVP yesterday, and showed how a top doubles player is capable of reading the game.

Meanwhile, GB with Andy Murray two games from their first final since 1978. Muzzard has been phenomenal the past two sets; Tomic is not playing badly at all, but Murray is just everywhere today.
Great win for GB! They'll be the favourites against whoever they play as long as both the Murrays are fit. Hopefully Argentina wins so it'll be another home tie for GB!
Original post by Sirocco11
Definitely - it's so disappointing that it's treated like an after thought. I remember going to the 02 last year when the singles matches were generally absymal, but nearly every doubles match was high quality, and exciting. It's particularly sad that the best doubles pairing ever in the Bryan brothers win Grand Slams in half empty stadiums.

Just watching the match yesterday spoke volumes about the difference between singles and doubles. Andy Murray, as great a singles player as he is, is not a great doubles player. Despite what the tabloids will probably say about Murray single handedly carrying the GB team to victory, Jamie was the MVP yesterday, and showed how a top doubles player is capable of reading the game.

Meanwhile, GB with Andy Murray two games from their first final since 1978. Muzzard has been phenomenal the past two sets; Tomic is not playing badly at all, but Murray is just everywhere today.

Thought the key was Andy getting on top of Groth's serve tbh. He was the best player on the court imo, deserves his plaudits.

Feels weird that we're in a Davis Cup final. I remember the days of losing to Lithuania :moon:
So pumped for GB :smile: Real chance to win the whole thing now, great performance from Andy!
Belgium ended up beating Argentina 3-2 so unfortunately we'll have to play away in the final. We are definitely the favourites to win with Andy though, who would have thought this all a few years back, up the Brits! :smile:
There is no reason they shouldn't be expected to win the whole thing from here.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/34333358

Davis Cup final on clay, as expected. Murray wants to skip the World Tour Finals, the ATP say he has an obligation to play. Tennis :facepalm2:
Original post by Louis.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/34333358

Davis Cup final on clay, as expected. Murray wants to skip the World Tour Finals, the ATP say he has an obligation to play. Tennis :facepalm2:

Should just throw the matches :colondollar: Or fake an injury.

Don't understand why they can't just give his spot to the next ranked player?

Does anyone know how many tickets you get if you do a ballot application for Wimbledon? I presume it's 2 but I can't see it anywhere.

I'll probably void some applications since trying to do 4 (in siblings' names) :colondollar:
Nadal getting to the final of Beijing seems promising for the rest of the season - the Djoker too strong though. Who's the best bet in Shanghai?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ArchmageRohan
Nadal getting to the final of Beijing seems promising for the rest of the season - the Djoker too strong though. Who's the best bet in Shanghai?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Now that Federer's out Djokovic has to be the red hot favourite after him Stan and Murray could have a shot. I don't think Nadal is quite ready to win a Masters though
Original post by lizzy95
Now that Federer's out Djokovic has to be the red hot favourite after him Stan and Murray could have a shot. I don't think Nadal is quite ready to win a Masters though

Yeah, I'd love for Stan to do well here, Murray too, always capable of knocking off Djok (if they get to that stage that is!).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Kyrgios in the headlines again for the wrong reasons. He is being sanctioned for purposely hitting the ball at an umpire.
Original post by Mackay
Kyrgios in the headlines again for the wrong reasons. He is being sanctioned for purposely hitting the ball at an umpire.
Federer had anger issues early in his career. He went on to win 17 grand slams and become the greatest of all time.
Original post by snowman77
Federer had anger issues early in his career. He went on to win 17 grand slams and become the greatest of all time.

He's not even the greatest of the big four.
Original post by snowman77

Federer had temper problems but he never did all the **** that this thug Kygrios does in every match.
Anyone see Nadal-Karlovic today? That was one of the most impressive performances from Rafa I've seen all year - go to 4-5 in the first set and watch him rip 3 return winners off the Karlovic serve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwHxECXjBbg

Aside from that there was a lot of vintage Rafa in there, passing shot laser beams the entire match that seem to have been missing recently, Forehand still needs more power, but I have a good feeling for him this tournament.

Quick Reply

Latest