The Student Room Group

Southampton BM6 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kevi14
Actually you'll be surprised because I knw they do give unconditional offers for BM6 if they really like you, same with other unis! I knw people who have recieved these offers. However it is rare! Are the conditional offers low for bm6???

BBC
So quite low!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I applied for this I am predicted A*A*A and got AABB for AS, and 5A*1A1B(eng)
Ukcat is 592! Please guys share ur thoughts?????

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by f.loco

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck! :biggrin:
Your deffo gonna get in!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
Your deffo gonna get in!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really!??? Can I ask if u know any stats about BM6 like applicant to interview/offer ratios and no of places etc..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by f.loco
Really!??? Can I ask if u know any stats about BM6 like applicant to interview/offer ratios and no of places etc..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeahh, if you go on previous pages of this thread, you can see a user 'Holly.p', she's a current student and she put her grades on here.
U could check that out.
The only thing that's worrying me is my UkCAT.
I got 610 :0

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
Yeahh, if you go on previous pages of this thread, you can see a user 'Holly.p', she's a current student and she put her grades on here.
U could check that out.
The only thing that's worrying me is my UkCAT.
I got 610 :0

Posted from TSR Mobile

MY HEART IS POUNCING SOO HARD RIGHT NOW!!! IM ABOUT TO DIE! I posted my personal statement last night on TSR for people to read, and didn't know were not meant to do that and people say I will get NO offers what so ever now because it will be counted as Plagerised!!!! HEEEELLLLPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kevi14
Major mistake is never ever give ur ps out before u sent ur ucas out or to people who are applying the same year becaue they will copy it and u both will be disqualified! For now just send it anyways and hope that no one copies it...I doubt people will because they will be caught for plagerism to!

I am dying right now because of the worries I have because of this STUPIDITY of MINE!!! I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOO PANICKING RIGHT NOWWWWWW!!! So what happens now???? Have I lost my future just by stupidly clicking some buttons?!!!!!!
Original post by Kevi14
Major mistake is never ever give ur ps out before u sent ur ucas out or to people who are applying the same year becaue they will copy it and u both will be disqualified! For now just send it anyways and hope that no one copies it...I doubt people will because they will be caught for plagerism to!

This is terrible advice. He has posted his personal statement online on a forum, after which people have commented. Does he really want to run the high risk of plagiarism in his statement being detected, immediately rendering his application void?!

@f.loco You'll have to rewrite the statement again.
Original post by Kevi14

After you get your track email, you can check whether or not ur PS has been detected for any plagerism.
It really depends what they copied.
Like, if it's a common phrase, it's fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by f.loco
I am dying right now because of the worries I have because of this STUPIDITY of MINE!!! I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOO PANICKING RIGHT NOWWWWWW!!! So what happens now???? Have I lost my future just by stupidly clicking some buttons?!!!!!!

If the statement hasn't been up for long I suggest you take it down immediately! If not take it down anyway and maybe make a few changes to be on the safe side.
It is not a case of someone else copying. If it's on the internet and ucas checks it, it will come back identical to something on the internet and will be flagged as plagiarised.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey
I just sent off my application for bm6 today
Proper nervous lol
Didn't do too well on my ukcat :/
Good luck to everyone applying though
Original post by Kevi14
Wow really that strict...damn!

Yes, because how does ucas know that you didn't just find a ps on the web and copy it?

Get used to plagiarism checks, they're a big deal at uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Darab_1496
Good luck to everyone applying though

Same to you :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Btw how long did it take for last years applicants to hear back if anyone knows?
Lots of nonsense going on in here in the last 12 hours!! I am not sure where a lot of this info has come from. I am sure it's deadline day madness and after tomorrow it will all go back to normal.

Please be careful when giving information if you're not sure about it. It causes a lot of unnecessary distress!

Original post by Kevi14
They do but a stellar ps is what will get u an interview or an offer (or an unconditional offer haha)!!

No. No unconditional offers without an interview. Ever. Your PS gets you an interview. Your interview gets you an offer.

Original post by 1lastchance
I thought Southampton required an interview as well?

Yep they do. 100%.

Original post by spiritless98
You don't get unconditional unless you've completed A levels

Posted from TSR Mobile

Correct. PLUS an interview is required. And unconditionals are rare until you've sent in your a level certificates after a conditional offer.

Original post by Kevi14
Actually you'll be surprised because I knw they do give unconditional offers for BM6 if they really like you, same with other unis! I knw people who have recieved these offers. However it is rare! Are the conditional offers low for bm6???

No. Not at all. All conditional offers are BBC. There are very few unconditionals but they STILL REQUIRE AN INTERVIEW and there is no set number. And even then they seem to all start as conditional until they have your a level certificates. Medicine is not like other uni courses.

You will ONLY get an unconditional offer if:

You get an interview AND You get an offer AND they're happy you have the grades you said you have. OR
You get a conditional offer AND send in your A level certificates AND they update your offer to uncondtional (which they often leave until A level results day, but last year a few did get updated early).

Original post by f.loco

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your grades won't put you above anyone else. So just this isn't enough to say if you'll get an offer or an interview. Someone with BBC and BBBB at AS with 5C's at a level will have the same chances as you. It's ALL personal statement for interview as long as you meet the minimum. UKCAT is rarely used unless they have 2 people to chose between.

You've met the minimum requirements and that is all anyone can say

Original post by Bloom77
Your deffo gonna get in!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You have no basis for this. While it's lovely to be encouraging , grades are not important as long as you meet the minimum, otherwise what is the point of BM6 when people with A*A*A* can guaruntee themselves a place?

Original post by f.loco

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are around 500-600 applicants. 96 interviews. 45 offers ad of those 30 usually accept the offers and get the grades.

Original post by f.loco
MY HEART IS POUNCING SOO HARD RIGHT NOW!!! IM ABOUT TO DIE! I posted my personal statement last night on TSR for people to read, and didn't know were not meant to do that and people say I will get NO offers what so ever now because it will be counted as Plagerised!!!! HEEEELLLLPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Get it removed. If it doesn't appear on Google you're usually okay. And you can tell UCAS what happened. It isn't the end.

Original post by Kevi14
Hi there. Are you sure tht u can apply for the BM6 course because you got predicted A*A*A*..I knw that people apply with those grades bcause their fourth as level is below an A grade, otherwise u have to apply to the BM5.
Your UKCAT is fine, they use it for boderline cases! After everyone meets the minimum all they look at is ur ps and ref. and they don't disadvantage u if u have A*A*A*or BBC!

Yes. You can apply to BM6 with any grades that meet the minimum requirements. You just won't get favoured for having above minimum. No one HAS to apply for BM5. Can I ask where you are getting this information?

Original post by Kevi14

You won't both be disqualified but it can cause problems.

Original post by f.loco

No. Make sure it's down and if UCAS get in touch, tell them what happened.

Original post by ah639
This is terrible advice. He has posted his personal statement online on a forum, after which people have commented. Does he really want to run the high risk of plagiarism in his statement being detected, immediately rendering his application void?!

@f.loco You'll have to rewrite the statement again.

No. He doesn't have to rewrite it, especially at this point. Perhaps next year he might want to make some changes if he is reapplying. But if it is taken down quickly people are usually okay.

Hey
I just sent off my application for bm6 today
Proper nervous lol
Didn't do too well on my ukcat :/

UKCAT is only used to decide between 2 similar applicants. Don't worry. Good luck.
(edited 8 years ago)

Btw how long did it take for last years applicants to hear back if anyone knows?

You'll get a form asking you to prove you're eligible before Christmas. Interviews start going out in January and continue until March-May depending on the schedule and what is going on. It varies every year. But you will hear eventually!
Original post by ForestCat
Yes, because how does ucas know that you didn't just find a ps on the web and copy it?

Get used to plagiarism checks, they're a big deal at uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So when the google cache is removed in a few days, will my personal statement be removed and will their systems detect plagiarism??

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just sent my application to my referee and she's going to send it off tomorrow. Fingers crossed I can at least get an interview, good luck to everyone applying and I wish you the best.

:u:

Quick Reply

Latest