The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RWRC2421
Finally sent!

Have any other graduates gone for all 5 year courses?

I went for:

Southampton
KCL
Queen Mary
Leicester

Good luck everyone!

x

I've applied for Queen Mary and Leicester 5-year too. And KCL 4-year :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ah639
I've applied for Queen Mary and Leicester 5-year too. And KCL 4-year :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh cool! good luck and keep in touch ... eek
oh cool! good luck and keep in touch ... eek

Best of luck to you too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2883
hey guys im not sure what to do!!
I can't find a suitable 4th choice that will take me based on my grade C at GCSE Maths!!
So far it's

Queen Mary
Leicester
Kings Undergrad (??)

Kings is a risk though as I only got 652.5

any advice?
Reply 2884
Finally sent!

Have any other graduates gone for all 5 year courses?

I went for:

Southampton
KCL
Queen Mary
Leicester

Good luck everyone!

x

I have! I've applied to Southampton, KCL, Newcastle and Keele - all 5 year! x
Reply 2885
Finally submitted! Feel so relieved but now the waiting game begins. Who else will be checking track every 5 minutes, or is that just me?!

Good luck to everyone! :smile: x
Original post by MickyVee
Hi guys, looking for a bit of advice as I'm well and truly stuck!

I'm thinking of choosing Barts and Warwick but then can't decide on my last two out of Newcastle, Southampton and Kings (all 4 year). My UKCAT is 737.5 average. I really liked Newcastle so will probably apply there even though they have a very high UKCAT requirement so it's really between Kings and Southampton but I'm scared that my UKCAT might just be on the edge of high enough/not enough.

I did the GAMSAT this year but pretty sure it went badly. I'm too scared to apply to GAMSAT Unis not knowing what that score is. I have a 1st class MSci in Natural Sciences. I would apply to Birmingham but got rejected after interview there last year :frown: so am not eligible to reapply.

Any words of wisdom would be very much appreciated.

How did you find the interview at Birmingham? I'm applying this year and want to try to be as prepared as possible :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by liam__
Yep I'm completely guessing! I saw that they were interviewing earlier this year, but I'm not sure that solves their problem. If people are flat out not going to their Warwick interview it means that Warwick was never their first choice. So interviewing earlier will improve attendance, however, if those same candidates get offers from their preferred uni and reject Warwick, they may end up giving lots of offers out to people wait listed (thus in the end ~70% get offers anyway). I should really stop with all this conjecture... :s-smilie:

That is so true. But look at the info on the website: "Warwick has approximately 380 places at Selection Centre each year. Invitations to Selection Centre will be sent out in early December 2015." Of course, it says "each year", but I feel that the number won't be greatly different if they still state it after updating all the info. .

Last year the ratio was roughly 1:2 before a lot of people pulled out after receiving offers from other unis.
So they have 170 places to study, but are likely to give out more offers, perhaps around 200. So if the info on the website is up to date, the interviews:redface:ffers ratio is still the same as last year. The difference is that they will at least fill the selection centre. Hence, as was pointed out above already, it probably does not change the chance of applicants to obtain an interview, but it does change the chance of an interviewee to get an offer as stronger applicants who will soon after firm other universities will be at the selection centre.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by KirstieW
How did you find the interview at Birmingham? I'm applying this year and want to try to be as prepared as possible :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not good! I suck at MMI apparently. They were all very friendly and the situation itself wasn't too stressful but you only have 6 minutes per station and only one of those was on work experience/personal statement and 6 minutes isn't a lot to talk about that. The rest were on individual qualities of a doctor. If you just stay calm and get straight to the point you'll be fine, good luck :smile:
Hello! Does anyone know the entry requirements for 5 year Newcastle? Torn between them and Glasgow! I have a low UKCAT and just seeing which 5 year ones are best to apply with (with average A levels too!) :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Estee92
Hello! Does anyone know the entry requirements for 5 year Newcastle? Torn between them and Glasgow! I have a low UKCAT and just seeing which 5 year ones are best to apply with (with average A levels too!) :smile:

For grads, the criteria is a 2:1 degree. UKCAT wise, the cutoff is proving difficult to predict. With the 2014 spike in UKCAT scores, Newcastle's cutoff rose to ~740. In 2015, people were aware of this so there were far fewer applicants to Newcastle (as the 2015 UKCAT mean returned to the norm) and due to this, Newcastle's cutoff dropped to 575. This year, I'd expect the cutoff to return to where it usually is for Newcastle (~670-680). But this is purely speculation. There's equal possibility that Newcastle's reputation of having a very high UKCAT cutoff la 2014) means that there will be a low number of applicants this year (similar to last year) which will drive down the cutoff.

Good luck whatever you decide. :smile:
Original post by liam__
For grads, the criteria is a 2:1 degree. UKCAT wise, the cutoff is proving difficult to predict. With the 2014 spike in UKCAT scores, Newcastle's cutoff rose to ~740. In 2015, people were aware of this so there were far fewer applicants to Newcastle (as the 2015 UKCAT mean returned to the norm) and due to this, Newcastle's cutoff dropped to 575. This year, I'd expect the cutoff to return to where it usually is for Newcastle (~670-680). But this is purely speculation. There's equal possibility that Newcastle's reputation of having a very high UKCAT cutoff la 2014) means that there will be a low number of applicants this year (similar to last year) which will drive down the cutoff.

Good luck whatever you decide. :smile:

575?!!!! Sorry to confirm is this for the 4 year or 5 year entry? Thank-you very much for the details :smile:
Original post by Estee92
575?!!!! Sorry to confirm is this for the 4 year or 5 year entry? Thank-you very much for the details :smile:

5 year course.
Original post by liam__
5 year course.

Oh wow, thank-you! Contemplating bumping off one of my Gamsat 4 year unis to apply to it now...
Original post by Estee92
Oh wow, thank-you! Contemplating bumping off one of my Gamsat 4 year unis to apply to it now...

Remember, take everything I've said with a grain of salt. Nobody can accurately predict what this year's cutoff score will be!
Legit panicking right now. My referee haven't submitted my reference letter yet 😔

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Albert95
Legit panicking right now. My referee haven't submitted my reference letter yet 😔

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do they know the deadline is today?
Original post by Albert95

Posted from TSR Mobile

When did you last hear from him/her? Give them a call!
Original post by ah639
When did you last hear from him/her? Give them a call!

Original post by Natha_Lite
Do they know the deadline is today?

I've been waiting for him at uni since 10 and he finally appeared. He said he'll do it this afternoon so pheww and yeahh he knows the deadline is today. I just want to submit it and get it over with 😔

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hurrah, a start date for my HCA job!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending