The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

2016 Durham University hopefuls

Scroll to see replies

Sent off my application today!! Applying for History at Josephine Butler :smile:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by jaseho98
Thank you so much! xx

I applied last Thursday, they didn't send me any acknowledgement email at all. I've applied to Hatfield, but then they said they will allocate randomly I think.. x

They must REALLY like you!!! :biggrin:
Thank you ever ever so much! I sent my application out last Thursday! I was so shocked!

GOOD LUCK TO YOU! What are you applying to? xx

Thank you! I'm applying to Josephine Butler for English
I sent my application off on the 30th Sep 😅
What were your predicted grades if you don't mind me asking? Xx
Reply 383
Original post by Lizziec02
Sent off my application today!! Applying for History at Josephine Butler :smile:

SAME! Not sent it yet though, are you applying for Oxbridge?
Original post by charleethompson
Thank you! I'm applying to Josephine Butler for English
I sent my application off on the 30th Sep 😅
What were your predicted grades if you don't mind me asking? Xx

My predicted grades were AAA which matched the entry requirement! You are gonna get in! :~) Tell me once you've received an offer! Waiting to hear from you x
Original post by TTWNGCBC
They must REALLY like you!!! :biggrin:

HEHEHE I'd like to think so :') but you are gonna do well!
HEHEHE I'd like to think so :':wink: but you are gonna do well!

Aww thank you - just really hoping that they want me!
I was out of school with anorexia for most of years 10 and 11 so I had to drop 2 subjects. However, I still managed to get 8A*s.

At AS I got:
English lit: 88% UMS
History: 96% UMS
Geography: 100% UMS
Philosophy: 96% UMS

I am predicted A*A*A* for A2.

Will only having 8 GCSEs impact my chances of getting in? I asked my school not to write anything about my past health problems on my reference because I feel it is private. So, they won't know why I don't have at least 10 GCSEs.
Just sent my application off today for Chemistry at St John's, had to post somewhere because I'm so excited :biggrin:

GCSE: 10A*, 1A
AS: Further Maths (Taking this year), Chemistry (A, 280/300), Physics (A, 283/300), Economics (A, 160/200)
A2: Maths (A* 555/600, not certificated yet), Chemistry (Predicted A*), Physics (Predicted A*)

Just wondering if anyone who has got an offer already could tell me how long it took for the offer to come through after you sent your application, that'd be great :smile:
Original post by SMer
SAME! Not sent it yet though, are you applying for Oxbridge?

Wooo history buddies!! What drew you to choose butler as your college? I liked the idea of being self catered 😊 no I'm not applying Oxbridge, my GCSEs were no where near what my college said they wanted. Are you? :smile:
Original post by Noussei
Hello there Chris, I'll be at Durham by January, 1st, 2016. I'm from Algeria & I want to know if there are swimming pools near the university.
Thank you.:h:

I did a summer school at Durham, I'm a swimmer so it was a question which I asked. The university does not have any pools, however the town does have a pool and the University have secured lane times throughout the week. Hope this has been helpful.
Reply 391
I was wondering if anyone else had trouble submitting a substitute personal statement ? When I try to fill in the form on their website it just says its "unable to verify my details", naturally I'm a bit worried. Has this happened to anyone else??
Original post by owenj4
University and Hatfield are supposedly the most oversubscribed. The Bailey colleges in general also tend to be quite oversubscribed. It's best to just choose the one you prefer because it won't affect your chances of getting into the university.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you get accepted into Durham, you are guaranteed a place. Doesn't matter which college you apply to. The will just allocate you in a different one.
Reply 393
I applied for theology yesterday

Anyone know when they get back to you? Really on edge about this whole process
Original post by Hmcr96
I applied for theology yesterday

Anyone know when they get back to you? Really on edge about this whole process

Hmcr96, Depending on your course, they might not give out offers until later on because they want to make sure they've got everyone. This FAQ on the Durham website might be helpful, not just to you, but to everyone on this post who is worried. It basically says that if you get your application in before the Jan 15th deadline, then you're guaranteed equal consideration.

https://www.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/faqs/?faqno=3203
Reply 395
Applied for History at University :h: But I haven't gotten an acknowledgement email and I sent it on the 9th, should I be worried?
Reply 396
Original post by Lizziec02
Wooo history buddies!! What drew you to choose butler as your college? I liked the idea of being self catered 😊 no I'm not applying Oxbridge, my GCSEs were no where near what my college said they wanted. Are you? :smile:

I saw it on the open day and I loved it! And yeah I really need self catered accommodation, so I'm really hoping that if I am lucky enough to be offered a place for history I'll be accepted at Butler as well!
That's exactly what meant I couldn't either. I'm waiting for my reference before I can send it off! Where else are you applying?
Keep me up to date with your application!
Applied today for Physics (St Aidan's)
GCSEs: 8A*3A
AS: Maths A, Physics A, French A, Geography A + sitting further maths in 2016
A2 prediction: Maths A*, Physics A*, French A*, Further Maths A

Any other physicists?
Reply 398
Original post by Patrick2810
Applied today for Physics (St Aidan's)
GCSEs: 8A*3A
AS: Maths A, Physics A, French A, Geography A + sitting further maths in 2016
A2 prediction: Maths A*, Physics A*, French A*, Further Maths A

Any other physicists?

Physics and astronomy here :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 399
Applied on Monday for the MSci Joint Honours Natural Sciences in biology and chemistry!! Anyone else? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest