The Student Room Group

German and Arabic course, or German, Arabic and Russian?

tl;dr: Should I do a German or Arabic course, or German, Arabic and Russian, considering whether I would reach a reasonable fluency in all three by the end or not? Would doing three languages still jeopardise a reasonable fluency?

I'm definitely doing German and another language, that's non-negotiable.
I was initially more attracted into doing Russian than Arabic, but recently that has taken a massive turn, and I'm far more interested in doing Arabic.

I could always try do all three.

What are your thoughts on doing three language, instead of two? Do you still think I can reach a sufficient level in all three? I'd be starting two new languages at the same time (the Arabic and Russian), and what are your thoughts about the breadth of knowledge gained?
(edited 8 years ago)
:bump:

Edit: If nothing specific, do people mind just answering the tl;dr? That's what it's there for.
(edited 8 years ago)
Arabic will be more useful
Original post by MrKmas508

Do you reckon three would severely limit the breadth of knowledge, or proportionately impede ability/level of fluency?
Original post by XcitingStuart
Do you reckon three would severely limit the breadth of knowledge, or proportionately impede ability/level of fluency?

Yes it would.
:bump:
You should do a German and Arabic and Russian course.
Original post by MrKmas508

Not entirely. The thing is, there is as more difference between Syrian Arabic and Yemeni Arabic as there is between French and Spanish. They are basically different languages.

By learning Arabic, you are essentially learning classical Arabic which is the language of religion.
tl;dr: Should I do a German or Arabic course, or German, Arabic and Russian, considering whether I would reach a reasonable fluency in all three by the end or not? Would doing three languages still jeopardise a reasonable fluency?

I'm definitely doing German and another language, that's non-negotiable.
I was initially more attracted into doing Russian than Arabic, but recently that has taken a massive turn, and I'm far more interested in doing Arabic.

I could always try do all three.

What are your thoughts on doing three language, instead of two? Do you still think I can reach a sufficient level in all three? I'd be starting two new languages at the same time (the Arabic and Russian), and what are your thoughts about the breadth of knowledge gained?

I was going to learn Russian and Arabic, but decided that Arabic really is a bit of a pandora's box in terms of which Arabic to learn, and the distinction between classical Arabic and the various Arabics spoken in different states.

I decided to learn Hebrew and Russian. I'd love someone to practice the Ruski with? Out of interest, are you considering.. ahem.. government service?
Original post by SignFromDog
I was going to learn Russian and Arabic, but decided that Arabic really is a bit of a pandora's box in terms of which Arabic to learn, and the distinction between classical Arabic and the various Arabics spoken in different states.

I decided to learn Hebrew and Russian. I'd love someone to practice the Ruski with? Out of interest, are you considering.. ahem.. government service?

No, well not at the moment anyway.

I've wanted to be a foreign correspondent (a reporter/journalist.)
Then as a back up, I can always go into translation, or (though perhaps unlikely) go into politics. :colone: Translation the practical back up, politics the aspirational back up.
I don't think you should look at what language would be more useful to learn, because you can always learn a language outside of university. Personally, I'd say that if you only choose to do 2 languages then you will be more fluent in them in comparison to learning 3. Re-think why you changed your mind and now prefer Arabic than Russian, and remember that when you learn a language at university you also take modules in history, politics, literature etc.

I'm applying for History and Russian, I was debating whether to choose Russian or German, but since Russian is what I think I will enjoy more I chose to do that. I too changed my mind as I wanted to do German at first, but the thing is the only thing which attracts me to German history is unfortunately the Third Reich only, whereas I like many aspects of Russian history ranging from the tsars to ... well ... Putin. I also find the Russian language more fascinating, especially the alphabet. . After looking at a few beginners language youtube videos and getting a taste of each language, and taking into consideration the history aspect of the courses, I decided that Russian is more for me.
Original post by SignFromDog
Not entirely. The thing is, there is as more difference between Syrian Arabic and Yemeni Arabic as there is between French and Spanish. They are basically different languages.

By learning Arabic, you are essentially learning classical Arabic which is the language of religion.

I was planning on learning Modern Standard Arabic first, then going onto spoken dialect.
I'm not sure how any unis I'm applying to does it though. :tongue: :/ :grin:
Original post by Fleming1928
I don't think you should look at what language would be more useful to learn, because you can always learn a language outside of university. Personally, I'd say that if you only choose to do 2 languages then you will be more fluent in them in comparison to learning 3. Re-think why you changed your mind and now prefer Arabic than Russian, and remember that when you learn a language at university you also take modules in history, politics, literature etc.

I'm applying for History and Russian, I was debating whether to choose Russian or German, but since Russian is what I think I will enjoy more I chose to do that. I too changed my mind as I wanted to do German at first, but the thing is the only thing which attracts me to German history is unfortunately the Third Reich only, whereas I like many aspects of Russian history ranging from the tsars to ... well ... Putin. I also find the Russian language more fascinating, especially the alphabet. . After looking at a few beginners language youtube videos and getting a taste of each language, and taking into consideration the history aspect of the courses, I decided that Russian is more for me.

It's more about would doing three jeopardise my end fluency severely/disproportionately? Like enough to not do it? 'Cos I want to learn all three in the end, but is it practical to learn all three at once?
It's more about would doing three jeopardise my end fluency severely? Like enough to not do it? 'Cos I want to learn all three in the end, but is it practical to learn all three at once?

Personally I'd say yes, since you'll be learning them all at once. I can already speak two languages. English is not my native language, but because it's the language which I use on an everyday basis it has jeopardised my ability to speak my native language. Since you will not be speaking each language 24/7 throughout your time at university, I'd say that it would be much harder to learn them 100% fluently. There will always be one language that you will know better than the other, and I guess you have to choose which language you want to know better. Do you want to know 2 languages very well, or 2 languages quite well as well as 1 language at a simple communication level?
I speak a few languages, and I have to say, studying more than one at a time is hard. It takes a lot of dedication, and as others have said before, you won't reach 100% fluency in both, as there will be one which you naturally prefer.

Arabic may be useful but as there are so many variations, maybe it's not as useful as you'd think? Personally, Russian and German sounds more interesting to me (however I can understand both of those to a good level, so I would say that :biggrin:)

But it's up to you. I would suggest two, with a focus on German, so you can gain a high level of proficiency, with Russian/Arabic as a supplementary language, which you can focus on once you've gotten comfortable with your German?

This is what I did with Japanese, as I had an A-Level in French, so I focused on French while also working on my Japanese. I now have university level understandings of both languages, but my French is still better due to my focus on it,

Hope I haven't gone on too long and this has somewhat helped!
No, well not at the moment anyway.

I've wanted to be a foreign correspondent (a reporter/journalist.)
Then as a back up, I can always go into translation, or (though perhaps unlikely) go into politics. :colone: Translation the practical back up, politics the aspirational back up.

Have you ever considered SIS as a career? A lot of the same skills you'd use as a foreign correspondent would be used as a case officer. If you're interested in politics, geography, history, and if you have a bit of charm and pluck about you, then it might be an interesting career to pursue.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending