The Student Room Group

Are these gces good enough for law? Do GCSE's matter?

So, I didnt do as well as I would of wanted in my GCSE's. I am a average student and I got:
English language-B
Maths-C
Additional Science-resitting because I got a D.
Core Science-E-Can't resit.
Sociology-C
RE-B
English lit-C(disappointing)
So, I was disappointed, but I'm retaking Science & new GCSE-Psychology to get a few more.
But. I'm hoping to do well in A levels.
I'm hoping to get two extra B's in Science & Psychology GCSE.
(edited 8 years ago)
AS level grades and A2 predictions matter, GCSEs don't. As long as you meet the course specific requirements (usually B in Maths and C in English GCSE, but could be higher!) you will be fine.
Original post by _aishahxo_
So, I didnt do as well as I would of wanted in my GCSE's. I am a average student and I got:
English language-B
Maths-C
Sociology-C
RE-B
So, I was disappointed, but I'm retaking Science & new GCSE GCSE-Psychology to get a few more.

It depends where you apply but most of the high-ranking ones will want a decent GCSE profile. I normally try to be optimistic about this sort of thing but, to be honest, those grades are too low and too few to really stand you in good stead at some of the big universities.

As the other person said, for a lot of places, they'll care more about your A Levels. But to be honest, unless this performance was the result of extenuating circumstances, I don't think you're likely to do that well at A Level. GCSEs are very basic qualifications and if you struggle with them, you're unlikely to shine at A Level. Sorry, but that's just the most likely outcome.
Original post by _aishahxo_
English language-B
Maths-C
Sociology-C
RE-B
So, I was disappointed, but I'm retaking Science & new GCSE-Psychology to get a few more.
But. I'm hoping to do well in A levels.

My brother did badly in his GCSEs and A-levels, but showed enough commitment and aptitude to his chosen subject that he still got into a Uni , not a top uni, but a really good one for his topic. I advise you work super hard at your resit, and A levels and you could still get into a uni.

Quick Reply

Latest