The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

How long does it take to see a psychiatrist under the NHS?

Managed to see a GP today and told her about my anixety and depression and did a couple of tests and she agrees that I need to see a psychiatrist. How long does it roughly take to be referred under the NHS(I live in Surrey)and due to the fact I'm nearly 18(In December)will I go under the adult mental health service camhs?
Camhs an initial assessment tool me 9 months from when the doctor referred me (this is kent btw) but it's different for all areas.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It depends on how long the waiting list for your area's hospital is, and whether you are classed as an emergency referral or a 'normal' referral. I was seen as an emergency referral in SW London within 2 weeks, but I've heard of people waiting over a month for an emergency referral :s-smilie:
Reply 3
I reckon you will be referred to adult services, there would be no point in referring you to CAMHS as you would get nowhere before needing to be referred on anyway. If you have an emergency referral then it should be within a few weeks...... if not.... it can take months to get an appt.
Took me 5 months to get seen after relapsing.
Reply 5
Couple of weeksish - a month.
4-10 weeks?
I was seen within 2 weeks as an 'emergency referral'. I was 17 and they put me under CAMHS, which I transferred out of when I hit 18.
Three times and two counties, and it took me about a month or two till I had an appointment. I don't know however if I was classified as emergency referral or not.
Just a couple of weeks for me, though I can't say if it was an emergency referral or not, as I wasn't told by my GP. (Adult mental health service)
When I was 16 I got referred to a psychiatrist but got sent to a psychologist first. It took about 3 months from my initial GP appointment to see the psychologist and then another 3 months roughly to see the psychiatrist.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It took 6 weeks for me to get an initial assessment appointment with a psychiatrist at my local CMHT, I'm not sure if I was classed as urgent or not for that initial assessment though.
Like others have said, it depends on the urgency. I've been referred under 3 types: emergency, urgent and routine. Emergency was the next day (so under 24 hours), urgent was around a week and routine around 6 weeks. This was for adult services. Although you don't always see a psychiatrist first, sometimes you will see a nurse, occupational therapist or social worker first and then if they think you need it, they will arrange a psychiatrists appointment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bullettheory
Like others have said, it depends on the urgency. I've been referred under 3 types: emergency, urgent and routine. Emergency was the next day (so under 24 hours), urgent was around a week and routine around 6 weeks. This was for adult services. Although you don't always see a psychiatrist first, sometimes you will see a nurse, occupational therapist or social worker first and then if they think you need it, they will arrange a psychiatrists appointment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! What is type of problems is called as urgent? I also have other long term mental health problems with these so would that make a difference at all in terms of geting referred?
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you! What is type of problems is called as urgent? I also have other long term mental health problems with these so would that make a difference at all in terms of geting referred?

In my experience, urgent is usually suicidal thoughts, acute psychosis (although this is sometimes routine, it would be quite worrying / severe psychosis for urgent), acute mania or severe self harm. Emergency would be imminent and significant risk to self or others. It does vary from Dr to Dr and also area to area. Regarding your other long term mental health, it would depend on the problem, and more importantly how it's impacting you at the moment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest