The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by neuronerd
It is indeed :smile:

Do you mind if I say a friend told me that you may be able to help or would you rather I didn't?
Original post by DavidYorkshireFTW
Do you mind if I say a friend told me that you may be able to help or would you rather I didn't?

I'd rather not. Just ask really nicely if it is possible to shado someone ithin the neurosurgery department. They are really nice and open to helping students. Also offer cake/food/decent coffee. It all helps :smile:
I'd rather not. Just ask really nicely if it is possible to shado someone ithin the neurosurgery department. They are really nice and open to helping students. Also offer cake/food/decent coffee. It all helps :smile:

Thank you, email sent, although I only just read the stuff on offering cake and coffee. oops haha

Just had a reply offering a couple of days work shadowing, thanks a lot!
Just had a reply offering a couple of days work shadowing, thanks a lot!

Told you, Ian's lovely (massive jock but most of the young surgeons seem to be) and I was given free reign to explore any theatre, just had to knock and ask nicely if I could watch. Everyone said yes, it was great! Don't forget to eat at some point because they will totally forget about you, esp when you wonder off to watch different things.
Told you, Ian's lovely (massive jock but most of the young surgeons seem to be) and I was given free reign to explore any theatre, just had to knock and ask nicely if I could watch. Everyone said yes, it was great! Don't forget to eat at some point because they will totally forget about you, esp when you wonder off to watch different things.

Yes, he seems it, just surprised he replied so quickly! That sounds really good, it will be interesting to see a human brain! Thanks for the advice :smile:
Which medical schools are you applying to?
Yes, he seems it, just surprised he replied so quickly! That sounds really good, it will be interesting to see a human brain! Thanks for the advice :smile:
Which medical schools are you applying to?

I'm applying to Oxford, Liverpool, Nottingham and swansea (in that order), have you any ideas yet?
I'm applying to Oxford, Liverpool, Nottingham and swansea (in that order), have you any ideas yet?

Oh wow, do you have really good A-level and degree results if you're applying to Oxford?

Kind of, hopefully if I do well in the UKCAT I'm applying to Warwick, Newcastle but I don't want to take the GAMSAT as I'm **** at maths, this also mean the BMAT is kind of a bad idea, thus can't apply for Oxbridge, but I am very tempted to get a maths tutor and hopefully improve my maths. I'm only going to apply for Oxbridge if I don't get in the first year but get over 80% in my degree overall..

Dreading writing a PS and doing the UKCAT though :frown:
you know there is no maths in the gamsat right? Its the bmat that has the maths. I can give you a practice gamsat test if you ant to see the difficulty

80% haha. no. I got a 2:1 but I have a research degree and they love that
you know there is no maths in the gamsat right? Its the bmat that has the maths. I can give you a practice gamsat test if you ant to see the difficulty

80% haha. no. I got a 2:1 but I have a research degree and they love that

Oh, I thought there was maths in both, although another downside to the GAMSAT is that it cost loads! but yeh that would be helpful thank you

Wait, during this year I am hoping to get a couple of my scientific articles and research published in journals, does that mean Oxford would like me?
Oh, I thought there was maths in both, although another downside to the GAMSAT is that it cost loads! but yeh that would be helpful thank you

Wait, during this year I am hoping to get a couple of my scientific articles and research published in journals, does that mean Oxford would like me?

There's a lot more to it that that. Previous application data shows that about 50% of successful people hold post-grad research degrees, and a separate FOI request shows that it does seem to matter what uni you went to (I went to a russel group for undergrad and oxford for my post-grad research).

Not saying don't apply but look into it carefully before you do because of the annoying BMAT test that pretty much noone else uses.
There's a lot more to it that that. Previous application data shows that about 50% of successful people hold post-grad research degrees, and a separate FOI request shows that it does seem to matter what uni you went to (I went to a russel group for undergrad and oxford for my post-grad research).

Not saying don't apply but look into it carefully before you do because of the annoying BMAT test that pretty much noone else uses.

Ah, I'm not down for doing a post-grad research degree at all, don't particularly like research anyway! Don't go to a Russel group uni either, although my uni in the top 30 so not sure, doubt I will apply though :/ What was your degree and post-grad research in just out of interest?
Ah, I'm not down for doing a post-grad research degree at all, don't particularly like research anyway! Don't go to a Russel group uni either, although my uni in the top 30 so not sure, doubt I will apply though :/ What was your degree and post-grad research in just out of interest?

Medical science, and neuroscience respectively. So pretty medicine focused.
---
(edited 6 years ago)
Talking to a medical student on the 4 year graduate entry programme, according to her I will need to finance between 6-12K for a single year, how accurate is this even?
Original post by ArabianPhoenix
Talking to a medical student on the 4 year graduate entry programme, according to her I will need to finance between 6-12K for a single year, how accurate is this even?

Probably less accurate now because of changes in student loan.

The first year you need £3465 up front for fees. It's all maintenance loan this year so generally more comfortable but for most people it barely covers rent.

Year two onwards is partly NHS funded, which means a reduced maintenance loan and NHS bursary. A lot of people end up financially worse off, because they get very little from the nhs.

If you can save some money beforehand then do so. Trying to work and do a gem course isn't fun!

As for the 6-12k figure, it all depends where you're living and how frugal you are. But it's very hard to get by on loans alone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ForestCat
Probably less accurate now because of changes in student loan.

The first year you need £3465 up front for fees. It's all maintenance loan this year so generally more comfortable but for most people it barely covers rent.

Year two onwards is partly NHS funded, which means a reduced maintenance loan and NHS bursary. A lot of people end up financially worse off, because they get very little from the nhs.

If you can save some money beforehand then do so. Trying to work and do a gem course isn't fun!

As for the 6-12k figure, it all depends where you're living and how frugal you are. But it's very hard to get by on loans alone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So if I have 20K saved up prior to starting medical school, and with the addition of maintenance loans and NHS bursary, I should, theoretically, be fine financially?
Original post by ArabianPhoenix
So if I have 20K saved up prior to starting medical school, and with the addition of maintenance loans and NHS bursary, I should, theoretically, be fine financially?

Like I said depends where you live and how frugal you are, but that would be a very nice buffer so you should be fairly comfortable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone,I am really wanting to study medicine. I am 20 years old and am currently in the last year of a Physiotherapy degree. I didn't do that well in my A levels (BBC). Do you think I have a chance of getting in to study medicine?Thank you
Original post by oliviabradbury
Hi everyone,I am really wanting to study medicine. I am 20 years old and am currently in the last year of a Physiotherapy degree. I didn't do that well in my A levels (BBC). Do you think I have a chance of getting in to study medicine?Thank you

I got similar results and I would say as long as you get a 2.1 or preferably a first class degree, experience either shadowing a doctor or working/volunteering within a clinical environment (or ideally both) you have a reasonable chance!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending