The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I got 5A*'s, 4A's, 2B's and one C at GCSE and got AAAA in Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics at AS level. I have applied to Brasenose to study Chemistry. Is it likely that I will get an offer.. kinda worried :redface:
Original post by lucysnell
I got 5A*'s, 4A's, 2B's and one C at GCSE and got AAAA in Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics at AS level. I have applied to Brasenose to study Chemistry. Is it likely that I will get an offer.. kinda worried :redface:

I have also applied to Brasenose to study chemistry and I only have 2A*s, 6As a C and 2 dists at GCSE! I think offers rely quite heavily on the interview considering the lack of an aptitude./admissions test though
Original post by itsConnor_
I have also applied to Brasenose to study chemistry and I only have 2A*s, 6As a C and 2 dists at GCSE! I think offers rely quite heavily on the interview considering the lack of an aptitude./admissions test though

It must be mostly on the interview! Where else have you applied to? :smile:
Original post by lucysnell
It must be mostly on the interview! Where else have you applied to? :smile:

Also applied to Bath, Durham, Imperial and Warwick. Only fully decided to apply to Oxford yesterday (nothing to lose) :tongue: What about you, where else did you apply? :smile:

Feel a bit bad about not applying to York - they're chemistry department looked really good. Although I didn't go to the open day
Reply 3244
Also applied to Bath, Durham, Imperial and Warwick. Only fully decided to apply to Oxford yesterday (nothing to lose) :tongue: What about you, where else did you apply? :smile:

Feel a bit bad about not applying to York - they're chemistry department looked really good. Although I didn't go to the open day

Woo more Brasenose chemistry applicants :smile:
Anybody applying to St.Johns for Mathematics - or joint honors? How are people feeling about the MAT?
Anyone for Modern Languages know of anywhere I can find a few more MLATs to practise? (Already done the 2011 and 2014)
Original post by SCalver
Anybody applying to St.Johns for Mathematics - or joint honors? How are people feeling about the MAT?

Me, pure maths! Quite confident on the MAT, but will need to work to get that 90+ score
Original post by Princepieman
Me! It's a slightly messed up situation though, seeing as I'm doing A-levels this year instead, after a not so great year in Advanced Higher - due to several mitigating circumstances.

Which subjects are you doing atm?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That sounds interesting. Did you do Advanced Highers last year then? Have you done Highers? What subjects?

I'm doing Advanced Higher Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Music. Pretty certain that I can get the AAB required but I'm a little worried about Biology (and obviously about doing 4 AHs). I have a rubbish Bio teacher this year. Going to have to work super hard! :s-smilie:

Also what are you applying for?
Reply 3249
Original post by Oakflame
Oooh Worcester, me too :beer: For which course?

Biochemistry :smile: what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by not you
me, applying for medicine at St. Hugh's :smile: what part of scotland?

I'm from Glasgow. You?

Were you part of the guinea pig year group (ie. CFE)? Feeling a little worried about the CFE Advanced Highers this year. No books out until March for Maths and Biology! They keep putting back the release date. It's super stressful.
Original post by narine2014
Guyssss, I don't know what to do! I sent the application 1 minute late at 18:01. The thing wouldn't appear next to the statement. Do you think they will still accept? I don't care about other unis, will Oxford still accept. I shaking

There is a reason for setting a deadline. It's because they have to shift a lot of paper around to get the next step in place.

Having said that, I cannot believe that anybody really wants to see your life ruined because you were one minute late. If you haven't heard anything by tomorrow morning, get on the phone. Also, for goodness sake stop shaking.
Original post by JennieRDS
That sounds interesting. Did you do Advanced Highers last year then? Have you done Highers? What subjects?

I'm doing Advanced Higher Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Music. Pretty certain that I can get the AAB required but I'm a little worried about Biology (and obviously about doing 4 AHs). I have a rubbish Bio teacher this year. Going to have to work super hard! :s-smilie:

Also what are you applying for?

Yeah, I did AH Maths, French and Physics (bombed the latter 2 due to coursework mishaps) and Higher Maths, Physics, French, Engineering Science and English. This year I'm doing A-levels in Maths, Further Maths and Economics - 16 exams in total hahahaha. You'll be fine, just make sure you stay on top of the coursework for Music/the sciences, that was my ultimate downfall, how are you finding them so far?

Applying for Computer Science at St Anne's! Slightly dreading the prospect of the MAT though. :/
Yeah, I did AH Maths, French and Physics (bombed the latter 2 due to coursework mishaps) and Higher Maths, Physics, French, Engineering Science and English. This year I'm doing A-levels in Maths, Further Maths and Economics - 16 exams in total hahahaha. You'll be fine, just make sure you stay on top of the coursework for Music/the sciences, that was my ultimate downfall, how are you finding them so far?

Applying for Computer Science at St Anne's! Slightly dreading the prospect of the MAT though. :/

I'm enjoying them mostly. I haven't had much time to properly get into studying due to application deadlines. Hopefully I will have time soon. :u:
Original post by JennieRDS
I'm from Glasgow. You?

Were you part of the guinea pig year group (ie. CFE)? Feeling a little worried about the CFE Advanced Highers this year. No books out until March for Maths and Biology! They keep putting back the release date. It's super stressful.

Glasgow as well lol
You applying for glasgow uni too?
And yes and no to the cfe question, I did all nat 5s but only cfe higher physics so for cfe advanced bio chem and maths I've got to look over the cfe higher stuff
I've never considered applying to Oxford before, but after getting my AS results (93%, 96%, 100% and 93.5% in maths, chemistry, english lit. and geography respectively, will be predicted A*A*A*A*), I've started to think about it (looking to study chemistry).

However, I'm put off largely by the interview process and also my relatively poor GCSEs (2A*s[French & additional science], 6As and a C [in English lit.]). Could anyone give any advice on the interviews? And how much of a disadvantage would I be in with my poor GCSEs? :smile:

With no aptitude/admissions test, would chemistry admissions be decided almost completely upon interview performance?

Very curious here, just how on earth did you manage to jump from a C in Eng Lit in GCSE's to a 100% in AS!!!! That's awesome!
Original post by not you
Glasgow as well lol
You applying for glasgow uni too?
And yes and no to the cfe question, I did all nat 5s but only cfe higher physics so for cfe advanced bio chem and maths I've got to look over the cfe higher stuff

I actually didn't do any National 5s as I did my Highers over two years. I regret missing out on some of the subjects that I could have done at Nat 5 but it meant that I got to do an additional Higher within timetable. Advanced Higher shouldn't be too bad. I don't think they've changed them as much as they did with the Highers.

I am applying to Glasgow but it is my 5th choice. I'm not too keen on staying here. Loved the look of St Andrews though! But I hear that their medicine course isn't for some, as you have to move elsewhere for your final 3 years of clinical. Where else have you applied? Stuck to Scottish unis mostly or applied to a few other English ones?
I haven't received an acknowledgement email from the university. Has anybody else not recieved an acknowledgement email from the university? Should I contact the university or UCAS?
Original post by Patrick2810
Did you referee send it off then? Did you get an email from UCAS?

Yes and yes . I have gotten 2 confirmation letters.yhe last one was a receipt kind of thing. It said that my application was successfully sent to universities, and some of them will send a thank you letter and some of them won't. Does that mean that they still accosted it?

Princepieman, did you receive an acknowledgement email from the uni yet?

Latest

Trending

Trending