The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

No worries - it's certainly interesting! I just don't think that debating which 'version' or 'interpretation' (for lack of a better word - brain not working atm) of Halloween is suited to a Soc - it's more a debate-type thread, or something that belongs in 'Ask a Christian' or 'Ask a Pagan'. No harm done or offence caused, so dw :hugs:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I agree, this is not really the right place to be discussing the ins and outs of paganism and pagan holidays :nah:

but we were not discussing the ins and outs of paganism and its holidays. if i said Catholics are evil for their past sins of murdering the pagans of europe and the americas i'd quite rightly be told off but if a catholic or christian or muslim says pagans are evil or devil worshippers no one bats an eye.

Original post by Aula
First up my post was clearly not read properly, and the link has not been looked at.

The night of light is about reclaiming it for all saints and all souls. Both of these are fantastic feasts.

This I would say feels more like the day of the dead, which is different to Halloween.

And I would like to remind people that this is a Catholic thread, if you want to talk about pagan rituals I would really prefer that you go elsewhere.

If not, then fine, but I won't post here anymore.

Posted from TSR Mobile

but you can't reclaim something you already have claim to.
No its not different Halloween has turned more and more secular and about fun and games in the modern era but originally it was a day of the dead if you ignore the fact the day of the dead occurs on the first and not the 31st :wink: and halloween is just the eve of all saints day -_- THE CATHOLIC DAY OF THE FREAKING DEAD.

yep its a catholic thread and we weren't discussing pagan rituals i mentioned pagan rituals when i said i would pray but it wouldn't be the same as praying and explaining why.

I'm not even Catholic i am Pagan.

Don't apologize i'm sick and tired of the Abrahamic faiths screwing over the pagan faiths. i may as well run for politics get the vote of everyone none christian and tear down the churches and be like "how do you like me now?!"
(edited 8 years ago)
No worries - it's certainly interesting! I just don't think that debating which 'version' or 'interpretation' (for lack of a better word - brain not working atm) of Halloween is suited to a Soc - it's more a debate-type thread, or something that belongs in 'Ask a Christian' or 'Ask a Pagan'. No harm done or offence caused, so dw :hugs:

However it was not right for a debate to occur in the first place. the first part was me asking my friend if she was looking forward to halloween which lead to another poster saying it's bad and its about evil spirits. that level of a lacking of knowledge won't help society.
Original post by DeathGuardElite
but we were not discussing the ins and outs of paganism and its holidays. if i said Catholics are evil for their past sins of murdering the pagans of europe and the americas i'd quite rightly be told off but if a catholic or christian or muslim says pagans are evil or devil worshippers no one bats an eye.

I understand your frustrations but as mentioned above, I firmly believe there are better threads for these discussions, especially if they go beyond one post from each side (as this one would appear to be heading in that direction!). You seem to - understandably - want to engage in a discussion about this and educate us. Which is fair enough but since this is the Catholic Soc rather than the Pagan Soc, there are more appropriate places in which to do that :yes:
I understand your frustrations but as mentioned above, I firmly believe there are better threads for these discussions, especially if they go beyond one post from each side (as this one would appear to be heading in that direction!). You seem to - understandably - want to engage in a discussion about this and educate us. Which is fair enough but since this is the Catholic Soc rather than the Pagan Soc, there are more appropriate places in which to do that :yes:

I actually just wanted to ask my friend who i know is married to a pagan if she was looking forward to halloween in a friendly chat that was really it. if the other poster had not given their rather ignorant view point it would never have got to this point. I know that but my lovely friend posted here and i felt like posting to say hello to her because i haven't talked to her for ages.
I actually just wanted to ask my friend who i know is married to a pagan if she was looking forward to halloween in a friendly chat that was really it. if the other poster had not given their rather ignorant view point it would never have got to this point. I know that but my lovely friend posted here and i felt like posting to say hello to her because i haven't talked to her for ages.

Aula's post was clearly in jest (at least, I think it was pretty clear it was in jest) and in case, what would you expect from a Catholic society? :tongue:

Perhaps in future, you can take it to PM if you want to ask donutaud about pagan-related things :smile:
Aula's post was clearly in jest (at least, I think it was pretty clear it was in jest) and in case, what would you expect from a Catholic society? :tongue:

Perhaps in future, you can take it to PM if you want to ask donutaud about pagan-related things :smile:

Yeah when you've been attacked for your beliefs you tend to be more defensive when people seem to repeat some of the things the people of the past have said.
to be more understanding then the ISOC? who have shown willing to simply be both nice and in a couple cases a bit defensive.

Yeah i should do that, but halloween isn't pagan anymore its not pagan to begin with Halloween was a catholic thing when it was all saints day now its secular so i didn't see any issue with it, its not like i asked her how she was going to be celebrating samhain.
Yeah when you've been attacked for your beliefs you tend to be more defensive when people seem to repeat some of the things the people of the past have said.
to be more understanding then the ISOC? who have shown willing to simply be both nice and in a couple cases a bit defensive.

Yeah i should do that, but halloween isn't pagan anymore its not pagan to begin with Halloween was a catholic thing when it was all saints day now its secular so i didn't see any issue with it, its not like i asked her how she was going to be celebrating samhain.

Like I said, I understand your frustrations and I'm sorry you've come across a lot of prejudice in the past. That said, Halloween is definitely not a Catholic thing (even if it was in the past - I remain neutral on that, since I don't know enough about the origins or have enough interest in the subject) and thus is not really an appropriate topic for this thread :nah:
Like I said, I understand your frustrations and I'm sorry you've come across a lot of prejudice in the past. That said, Halloween is definitely not a Catholic thing (even if it was in the past - I remain neutral on that, since I don't know enough about the origins or have enough interest in the subject) and thus is not really an appropriate topic for this thread :nah:

Problem is most of the people who have attacked me used ignorance as a weapon. i'm happy you've never be accused of eating babies or sacrificing them.

ok Halloween or all hallowes eve which was the day before all saints day a catholic day of rememberance which replaced Samhain it was a day where Catholics would remember the dead and the saints and the martyrs but it become less and less to do with that day as society became less and less religious(now we're talking about catholic stuff so should be okay lol) like the jack o lanterns comes from Celtic Christianity also did you know that turnips were used as well instead of pumpkins? which the jack o lantern is a tale of a lad named Jack who is irish who tricked the devil also a Christian tale lol.
(edited 8 years ago)
Problem is most of the people who have attacked me used ignorance as a weapon. i'm happy you've never be accused of eating babies or sacrificing them.

ok Halloween or all hallowes eve which was the day before all saints day a catholic day of rememberance which replaced Samhain it was a day where Catholics would remember the dead and the saints and the martyrs but it become less and less to do with that day as society became less and less religious(now we're talking about catholic stuff so should be okay lol) like the jack o lanterns comes from Celtic Christianity also did you know that turnips were used as well instead of pumpkins? which the jack o lantern is a tale of a lad named Jack who is irish who tricked the devil also a Christian tale lol.

I'm sure you must know that as Catholics in this soc, we are accused of all kinds of horrible things! So you're not alone in that respect :nah:

Like I said, I'm not really interested in the origins or whatever :nah: I'm just interested in maintaining a happy, conflict-free Cath Soc :yep:
I'm sure you must know that as Catholics in this soc, we are accused of all kinds of horrible things! So you're not alone in that respect :nah:

Like I said, I'm not really interested in the origins or whatever :nah: I'm just interested in maintaining a happy, conflict-free Cath Soc :yep:

Yeah but i can't really be as sympathetic as you can mainly because i know of the european catholics and their actions against the pagans, and i know of the pagans who raided and slaughtered coastal regions and also massacred monks.

ah but if you do not learn from the past you'll be doomed to repeat it. so am i heck i'm a bigger promoter of inter-faith relations the bad blood between faiths needs to be gotten rid of we are all human.
Yeah but i can't really be as sympathetic as you can mainly because i know of the european catholics and their actions against the pagans, and i know of the pagans who raided and slaughtered coastal regions and also massacred monks.

ah but if you do not learn from the past you'll be doomed to repeat it. so am i heck i'm a bigger promoter of inter-faith relations the bad blood between faiths needs to be gotten rid of we are all human.

I'm all for inter-faith relations, I'm just not interested in battling out with anyone about the pagan origins of Christianity or learning more about it, since it doesn't really bother me. It's not really relevant to my faith or to the Church today :nah:
I'm all for inter-faith relations, I'm just not interested in battling out with anyone about the pagan origins of Christianity or learning more about it, since it doesn't really bother me. It's not really relevant to my faith or to the Church today :nah:

Good, no no you don't get it i'm trying to say it doesn't i'm saying halloween is originally Christian that's the point i'm trying to give lol.
Reply 7553
Seriously guys, this is not the place for this discussion.

And funnily enough yes, I am aware of the turnips. They were carried/lit to scare away the evil spirits who roamed the earth particularly on the evening before all saints and all souls when evil things could not be out

The 1st is about asking the saints to pray for us, the 2nd is about praying for the souls in purgatory, kicking off a month of remembrance for the dead.

Having said my last piece, I'm not going to respond to anything further, and will report anything else that is not suitable for this thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aula
Seriously guys, this is not the place for this discussion.

And funnily enough yes, I am aware of the turnips. They were carried/lit to scare away the evil spirits who roamed the earth particularly on the evening before all saints and all souls when evil things could not be out

The 1st is about asking the saints to pray for us, the 2nd is about praying for the souls in purgatory, kicking off a month of remembrance for the dead.

Having said my last piece, I'm not going to respond to anything further, and will report anything else that is not suitable for this thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry :colondollar:
Reply 7555
Sorry :colondollar:

Silly :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You love me really! :tongue:

:lovehug:
I work in a catholic primary school but am an atheist awks.

How many of y'all went to catholic schools? :smile:
Original post by keromedic

Catholic primary school. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by keromedic

Original post by donutaud15
Catholic primary school. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

i nearly went to a catholic sixth form if that counts XD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending