The Student Room Group

Applying for Biochemistry, any comments/suggestions?

Course: Biochemistry
Universities: Queen Mary, UCL, Imperial, Bristol (thinking of a 5th one, any suggestions?)
GCSE grades: 1A*, 4As, 5Bs
AS grades (achieved): Chem (A), Maths (B), Philosophy and Ethics (A), Bio (B)
A2 grades (predicted): Chem(A, trying to get it to an A*), Maths (A), Philosophy and ethics (A*)I MIGHT DO AS AND A2 URDU AS WELL, as I have been a native speaker for around 14 years!
Extra curricular: badminton, table tennis, tennis, bollywood dancing, reading books
Other: work experience at a care home for 2 weeks (learnt about drug confidentiality and ethics involved in the medical world), volunteering at the centre of the cell (scientific setting), volunteered for Cancer Research UK (spread awareness about breast cancer, hand out leaflets)ANY SUGGESTIONS OR COMMENTS WILL BE APPRECIATED! Thanks :smile:
Original post by Sunshine98
Course: Biochemistry
Universities: Queen Mary, UCL, Imperial, Bristol (thinking of a 5th one, any suggestions?)
GCSE grades: 1A*, 4As, 5Bs
AS grades (achieved): Chem (A), Maths (B), Philosophy and Ethics (A), Bio (B)
A2 grades (predicted): Chem(A, trying to get it to an A*), Maths (A), Philosophy and ethics (A*)I MIGHT DO AS AND A2 URDU AS WELL, as I have been a native speaker for around 14 years!
Extra curricular: badminton, table tennis, tennis, bollywood dancing, reading books
Other: work experience at a care home for 2 weeks (learnt about drug confidentiality and ethics involved in the medical world), volunteering at the centre of the cell (scientific setting), volunteered for Cancer Research UK (spread awareness about breast cancer, hand out leaflets)ANY SUGGESTIONS OR COMMENTS WILL BE APPRECIATED! Thanks :smile:

my immediate concern is your dropping biology at a level but want to do biochemistry for a degree. If I was an admissions tutor that would concern me greatly. also your best subject is a humanities subject. I really don't know what to advise you other than UCL Imperial and Bristol are really competitive. I would strongly look at a less competitive uni for your 5th choice in case you get rejected by these.
Reply 2
Original post by swanseajack1
my immediate concern is your dropping biology at a level but want to do biochemistry for a degree. If I was an admissions tutor that would concern me greatly. also your best subject is a humanities subject. I really don't know what to advise you other than UCL Imperial and Bristol are really competitive. I would strongly look at a less competitive uni for your 5th choice in case you get rejected by these.

Yes but the universities I looked at DO NOT require A level Biology, which is why I opted for these. I will take your points into consideration as they are sensible. Thanks :smile:
You should have done bio, its full of biochem but you will be ok with just chem. If all goes tits up look out for related subjects eg pharmacology, molecular biology etc in clearing.
Original post by earthworm
You should have done bio, its full of biochem but you will be ok with just chem. If all goes tits up look out for related ubjects eg pharmacology, molecular biology etc in clearing.

I agree totally with this. were you doing straight chemistry it wouldn't be a problem. had you not started biology it probably wouldn't have mattered. starting biology then dropping it and wanting to take a degree subject involving it looks odd to an outsider. what I cannot predict is how the admissions tutors will look on it which is why I suggested looking for a lower graded uni to cover these very competeive unis.
Reply 5
Original post by swanseajack1
I agree totally with this. were you doing straight chemistry it wouldn't be a problem. had you not started biology it probably wouldn't have mattered. starting biology then dropping it and wanting to take a degree subject involving it looks odd to an outsider. what I cannot predict is how the admissions tutors will look on it which is why I suggested looking for a lower graded uni to cover these very competeive unis.

This si really concerning, I didn't even think about that but neither have my teachers said anything about it. :confused::confused::confused::eek::cry2::dong::dontknow:
Reply 6
Original post by Sunshine98
This si really concerning, I didn't even think about that but neither have my teachers said anything about it. :confused::confused::confused::eek::cry2::dong::dontknow:

Yeah byt they each have dozens of students.
Reply 7
Original post by Nununu
Yeah byt they each have dozens of students.

True, I'll think about it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending