The Student Room Group

Should I take GCSE German?

So I know some German, but not extensively only general stuff but I can hold a general conversation in German. I'm not good at past tense and only know a bit of that but I know more German than French and I'm taking that so should I take it? Sometimes I confuse French and German do I'm scared it will be too confusing for me. Can I do GCSEs German in sixth form? Should I take it or not? Thanks!
Considering that you already know some German, and you say you know more German than French, then I would suggest taking German. However, I wouldn't recommend taking two languages at once, as like you say, it's easy to get confused between them despite them being very different.

Whether you'll be able to do GCSE German in sixth form depends on whether the sixth form you want to go to offers it as a course, and whether it would clash with your other subjects or not :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you! I guess I'll hold off doing German for now so thanks for your input!
Original post by F.SA
Thank you! I guess I'll hold off doing German for now so thanks for your input!

You're welcome :smile:
Reply 4
Hi I'm taking both French and German for GCSE and I was worried about getting them confused when I chose them.
However I don't find them too confusing as they are quite different languages. I do sometimes forget a word in French, for example and the only thing I can think of is the German word! But this doesn't happen much and I can always tell if a word is in French or German, and have also survived a French lesson straight after a German lesson and vice versa :wink:

But if you are really afraid of getting confused with these languages or do not know them that well, then don't take German for GCSE, but I would suggest that you do! Or yes, you could probably do it when you're in Sixth Form if your school offers it.
I got an A* at french+german gcse, and I know people who were terrible (v v v v vbad) at german and ended with a C. A C is the minimum for unis (like KCL etc but Im pretty sure other unis will follow) so id take t if i were you:smile:
If you ever need any help please dont hesitate to PM me!
Reply 6
Hey, please don't take it because picking german for GCSE was the biggest regret of my life lol !

Quick Reply

Latest