The Student Room Group

Uni choices - predicted ABC

I'm currently predicted ABC, A in Business, B in ICT, C in maths, trying to move the C to a B, my choices so far are all for Maths and management:

Leeds - AAA (Including A in maths)
Lancaster -AAB (Including A in maths)
Sheffield - AAB (Including A in maths)
Newcastle - AAB (Including A in maths)
Liverpool - ABB (Including A in maths)

My AS results are ABCC, A in Business, B in ICT, C in Maths, C in History. Just curious are these choices fine and would it be a risk if I removed Liverpool as a choice and switch it for another AAA uni or A*AA uni in getting an offer?
Original post by Sayless
I'm currently predicted ABC, A in Business, B in ICT, C in maths, trying to move the C to a B, my choices so far are all for Maths and management:

My AS results are ABCC, A in Business, B in ICT, C in Maths, C in History. Just curious are these choices fine and would it be a risk if I removed Liverpool as a choice and switch it for another AAA uni or A*AA uni in getting an offer?

If you're predicted ABC, your chances of receiving an offer from AAA-AAB universities aren't that high bro.

I'd plead to your teachers about getting higher predictions, maybe even agree to do mock exams that showcase the fact that you've improved.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Princepieman
If you're predicted ABC, your chances of receiving an offer from AAA-AAB universities aren't that high bro.

I'd plead to your teachers about getting higher predictions, maybe even agree to do mock exams that showcase the fact that you've improved.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My maths teacher says she will predict me a B if I can provide evidence of past papers I have done and marked myselfs so at the minute I keep bringing her past papers until she agrees to up my predicted grade so that would make me at ABB
But you need an A in maths not a B?
Reply 4
Original post by alicereynolds
But you need an A in maths not a B?

yeah i need an A in maths, i can get an A in maths in the actual thing just not in the prediction
Original post by Sayless
My maths teacher says she will predict me a B if I can provide evidence of past papers I have done and marked myselfs so at the minute I keep bringing her past papers until she agrees to up my predicted grade so that would make me at ABB

Then your chances at the AAB unis are a bit better but obviously still not great as your predictions don't meet the standard offer. The AAA choice will be unlikely to give you an offer, I think, no harm in trying though.

EDIT:
Actually, I missed the bit about the A in Maths. Yeah, you won't get an offer if you aren't predicted an A in that bro.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Sayless

Honestly, i feel you're taking quite a risk with having a C at as and all of your choices wanting an A in a subject at a2. Personally I d change a couple of them to either points offer or BBB maybe
Reply 7
Original post by claireestelle
Honestly, i feel you're taking quite a risk with having a C at as and all of your choices wanting an A in a subject at a2. Personally I d change a couple of them to either points offer or BBB maybe

I'm resitting two maths exam and an ICT exam so hopefully that will make it easier to get an A in those two subjects. the entry requirements for my course are quite high everywhere i look so theres no decent uni which will offer anything lower than A in maths and 2 B's like liverpool since i dont want to go to brighton as i feel i can meet the grade boundaries just because my teachers predict me badly
Reply 8
Then your chances at the AAB unis are a bit better but obviously still not great as your predictions don't meet the standard offer. The AAA choice will be unlikely to give you an offer, I think, no harm in trying though.

EDIT:
Actually, I missed the bit about the A in Maths. Yeah, you won't get an offer if you aren't predicted an A in that bro.

If i don't get an offer because of my predicted grades but get the grades in August would that mean I could still try and get into that university or would I be restricted to something else?
Original post by Sayless
I'm resitting two maths exam and an ICT exam so hopefully that will make it easier to get an A in those two subjects. the entry requirements for my course are quite high everywhere i look so theres no decent uni which will offer anything lower than A in maths and 2 B's like liverpool since i dont want to go to brighton as i feel i can meet the grade boundaries just because my teachers predict me badly

As long as you're comfortable that you are taking quite the risk with some of those choices, remember you could always pick a couple of your choices as particularly safe options and then go through adjustment if you exceed your predicted grades on results day.
Reply 10
As long as you're comfortable that you are taking quite the risk with some of those choices, remember you could always pick a couple of your choices as particularly safe options and then go through adjustment if you exceed your predicted grades on results day.

okay, there aren't really any safe options i can pick, and what is adjustments and how does it work?
Original post by Sayless
okay, there aren't really any safe options i can pick, and what is adjustments and how does it work?

Basically if you exceed your offer on results day, you then get the option to have 5 working days to call up universities and see if you can get into somewhere where you would then meet the grades for that were above your offer for your firm choice. I'm sure there's one other university in the country you would be comfortable with, the thing with choosing entry requirements that are so close together is that you really haven't given yourself much leighway at all especially when there's a slight jump from your AS grades and your predicted grades to what the university is asking for.
Reply 12
Basically if you exceed your offer on results day, you then get the option to have 5 working days to call up universities and see if you can get into somewhere where you would then meet the grades for that were above your offer for your firm choice. I'm sure there's one other university in the country you would be comfortable with, the thing with choosing entry requirements that are so close together is that you really haven't given yourself much leighway at all especially when there's a slight jump from your AS grades and your predicted grades to what the university is asking for.

ah right i understand now, there are other unis but they dont do maths and management they do management alone or similar, my personal statement is for maths and management so i cant apply anywhere else
Original post by Sayless
ah right i understand now, there are other unis but they dont do maths and management they do management alone or similar, my personal statement is for maths and management so i cant apply anywhere else

Look up universities that offer joint degrees with a good few options just in case as i know keele would let you do the 2 subjects together so there might be more out there.
Original post by Sayless
If i don't get an offer because of my predicted grades but get the grades in August would that mean I could still try and get into that university or would I be restricted to something else?

If they appear in clearing, yeah, you could apply for a spot starting that year. It'd be better to take a gap year with grades in hand, doing something worthwhile whilst reapplying to wherever you want.
Reply 15
Look up universities that offer joint degrees with a good few options just in case as i know keele would let you do the 2 subjects together so there might be more out there.

yeah keele sounds good i'll switch out newcastle or liverpool to use that instead thanks

If they appear in clearing, yeah, you could apply for a spot starting that year. It'd be better to take a gap year with grades in hand, doing something worthwhile whilst reapplying to wherever you want.

thanks for the help, theres nothing i want to do before i go to uni though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending