Any Chemists in here? :smile:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Spoderman14
Any Chemists in here? :smile:

Me!
Hey everybody :smile: I was just wondering how necessary it was to submit a substitute personal statement if, due to Oxbridge applications, my personal statement is literally just academic... it's for biosciences, if that were to make a difference...Thanks!
Reply 403
Original post by AaronLee
If you get accepted into Durham, you are guaranteed a place. Doesn't matter which college you apply to. The will just allocate you in a different one.

I am aware :smile: But nevertheless there are some colleges you're more likely to get reallocated from due to oversubscription

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 404
Original post by karate-kid
Hey everybody :smile: I was just wondering how necessary it was to submit a substitute personal statement if, due to Oxbridge applications, my personal statement is literally just academic... it's for biosciences, if that were to make a difference...Thanks!

Not sure how necessary it is but everyone I know applying to Durham has not written a substitute personal statement and their UCAS one is predominantly academic also. I hope it's not a big deal because I haven't either!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 405
Original post by owenj4
Not sure how necessary it is but everyone I know applying to Durham has not written a substitute personal statement and their UCAS one is predominantly academic also. I hope it's not a big deal because I haven't either!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Durham said to one of my friends that either their personal statement or the substitute one would be read, not both and that you were only allowed the substitute one under special circumstances. Is that true?
Reply 406
Original post by SMer
Durham said to one of my friends that either their personal statement or the substitute one would be read, not both and that you were only allowed the substitute one under special circumstances. Is that true?

Not sure sorry. I was under the impression anyone could send in a substitute because Durham care more about extra curricular sports, music etc. than most other unis. Could be wrong though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by victoria98
Me!

Where else are you applying? / What college? :smile:
Where else are you applying? / What college? :smile:

My last post went a bit weird... Sorry. Haha.... I've applied to Josephine and Butler (I MEAN COME ON IT'S EN-SUITE but also self-catered which I'm not so sure is that good. I'd probably end up not eating most of the time haha). I also applied to Imperial, UCL, Southampton, Cambridge.. What about you?
How long does it take durham to send an acknowledgement email after you've applied? It's been 5 days and I haven't got one yet! Should I be worried?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 410
Original post by Hedwig24
How long does it take durham to send an acknowledgement email after you've applied? It's been 5 days and I haven't got one yet! Should I be worried?

Posted from TSR Mobile

As far as I can tell they don't send out acknowledgements, no one seems to have one

Posted from TSR Mobile
My last post went a bit weird... Sorry. Haha.... I've applied to Josephine and Butler (I MEAN COME ON IT'S EN-SUITE but also self-catered which I'm not so sure is that good. I'd probably end up not eating most of the time haha). I also applied to Imperial, UCL, Southampton, Cambridge.. What about you?

Didn't fancy Oxbridge/London, so Durham will probs be my first. The others are St Andrews, Warwick, Bristol and Nottingham in no particular order, but I'm not really that worried about them :tongue:
I'm applying to St John's, I don't really fancy self-catered that much.
Didn't fancy Oxbridge/London, so Durham will probs be my first. The others are St Andrews, Warwick, Bristol and Nottingham in no particular order, but I'm not really that worried about them :tongue:
I'm applying to St John's, I don't really fancy self-catered that much.

Nice! St John's was my original choice, but in the end I went with en-suite. Have you heard back from Warwick yet (I really wish I'd applied there instead of Southampton but oh well..)? What are your AS grades/ predicted grades if you don't mind me asking?
Nice! St John's was my original choice, but in the end I went with en-suite. Have you heard back from Warwick yet (I really wish I'd applied there instead of Southampton but oh well..)? What are your AS grades/ predicted grades if you don't mind me asking?

Haven't heard anything from anyone yet, my reference is yet to be written, but it should go off in a few days time. Warwick seem to have given out most of their offers pretty quickly, and I've heard that if you have the right grades/predicted grades then they don't even look at your personal statement xD

AS Grades: Maths A, Chemistry A, Physics A (All above 280/300) Economics A
Further Maths AS I'm doing this year, I can't be in school all the time so I'm only doing one half of FM A2
A2: Maths A* (but it's not certificated yet) Chemistry predicted A*, Physics predicted A*

You? :smile:
Haven't heard anything from anyone yet, my reference is yet to be written, but it should go off in a few days time. Warwick seem to have given out most of their offers pretty quickly, and I've heard that if you have the right grades/predicted grades then they don't even look at your personal statement xD

AS Grades: Maths A, Chemistry A, Physics A (All above 280/300) Economics A
Further Maths AS I'm doing this year, I can't be in school all the time so I'm only doing one half of FM A2
A2: Maths A* (but it's not certificated yet) Chemistry predicted A*, Physics predicted A*

You? :smile:

Very well done! For AS I got: Biology A, Chemistry A, Maths A and Physics A. Didn't drop anything, predicted A*A*A*A respectively (coursework brought down my physics to 89% :P). Did you choose not to apply to Oxbridge because you didn't like it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 415
Original post by Hedwig24

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Padc
As far as I can tell they don't send out acknowledgements, no one seems to have one

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got one the day after I applied for NatSci :s-smilie:
Very well done! For AS I got: Biology A, Chemistry A, Maths A and Physics A. Didn't drop anything, predicted A*A*A*A respectively (coursework brought down my physics to 89% :P). Did you choose not to apply to Oxbridge because you didn't like it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You too! :smile: Yeah, I didn't even visit, but I did visit Durham and I just loved everything about it. Plus, I know quite a few people who have really struggled with Oxford, and I'd rather go to somewhere I know I loved rather than try and get into Oxford not knowing if I'd like it or not.
Original post by Padc

Posted from TSR Mobile

mine came today, about a week after I sent my UCAS application in
"At Durham University, your application will be considered by admissions selector(s) for the department(s) to which you have applied. The admissions selectors will consider all applications as quickly as possible but in the interests of fairness, many decisions will need to wait until we have received all applications which were submitted by the UCAS deadline of 15 January. We do aim to make all decisions on on-time applications by the end of March."

Ugh, so I will have to wait forever for acceptance or rejection.
I just got a 'we've received you application' email and my heart skipped a beat as I thought it was an offer/rejection initially :')

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending