The Student Room Group

FP1 Help

How do I get from
(p−q)x=2a(p−q)+a(p^3 −q^3) to x=a(p^2 +q^2 +pq+2)
I just can't see it, am I supposed to factorise (p^3-q^3) somehow?
Original post by katie*may
How do I get from
(p−q)x=2a(p−q)+a(p^3 −q^3) to x=a(p^2 +q^2 +pq+2)
I just can't see it, am I supposed to factorise (p^3-q^3) somehow?

If you don't know the factorisation of p3q3p^3 - q^3, you should work it out. Guess one of the roots and so on.

note: p3q3p^3 - q^3 is quite common. It's one of the factorisations that's useful to memorise(like difference of squares).
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by morgan8002
If you don't know the factorisation of p3q3p^3 - q^3, you should work it out. Guess one of the roots and so on.

note: p3q3p^3 - q^3 is quite common. It's one of the factorisations that's useful to memorise(like difference of squares).

Ive tried doing that but I can't seem to get it, would you please tell me what it is?
I know it needs to have a (p-q) in it
Reply 3
Oh i think I've done it-
is it (p-q)(p+q)(p+q)
Oh i think I've done it-
is it (p-q)(p+q)(p+q)

Nope. (p-q)(p^2 + pq + q^2)
Ive tried doing that but I can't seem to get it, would you please tell me what it is?
I know it needs to have a (p-q) in it

Yes, it has (p-q) in it. I guess you've been taught how to divide polynomials by long division. So do pq)p3q3p-q ) \dfrac{}{p^3 - q^3}.
Reply 6
Original post by Student403
Nope. (p-q)(p^2 + pq + q^2)

Thankyou!!:adore:
Thankyou!!:adore:

No worries :smile: Which chapter is this from btw? Or topic I guess, if the exam board isn't Edexcel modular
Reply 8
No worries :smile: Which chapter is this from btw? Or topic I guess, if the exam board isn't Edexcel modular

Its Edexcel FP2 June 2007 Q8, its really an FP1 Q now though as they re organised the modules content in 2009 I think
Its Edexcel FP2 June 2007 Q8, its really an FP1 Q now though as they re organised the modules content in 2009 I think

Oh okay. I'm starting FP2 in December. How difficult are you finding it?
Reply 10
Oh okay. I'm starting FP2 in December. How difficult are you finding it?

Not too bad so far but we only started it last week haha
Not too bad so far but we only started it last week haha

Lesson from every Edexcel module ever: Chapter 1 NEVER tells you the right difficulty lol

I did quite well on FP1, but everyone in the year above says FP2 is hard as hell. Quite nervous about starting it tbh

I did quite well on FP1, but everyone in the year above says FP2 is hard as hell. Quite nervous about starting it tbh

I did AQA FP3, which I believe covers roughly the same content as Edexcel FP2. It's mostly an extension of C3-4, being calculus-based. I'd say it's a fair amount more difficult than C3-4, but very interesting.
Original post by morgan8002
I did AQA FP3, which I believe covers roughly the same content as Edexcel FP2. It's mostly an extension of C3-4, being calculus-based. I'd say it's a fair amount more difficult than C3-4, but very interesting.

Well that's great to hear! I heard yeah that the FPs are interesting modules. I loved FP1 so much
Reply 14
the tricky thing here is factorising that p - q to the power 3 term for the division, which is simple and i think others have showed that, errrr otherwise its easy question
Well that's great to hear! I heard yeah that the FPs are interesting modules. I loved FP1 so much

Yeah, AQA have four and I took them all. They were my favourite modules and you cover a lot of content that you wouldn't otherwise cover until uni.

Quick Reply

Latest