The Student Room Group

Postgrads in london how do you mange with money?

I made a late application for a masters course at a London uni. My tuition costs are covered but not my living expenses. Due to my late application I didn't have time to prepare and plan for maintenance expense. I figured as I live an hour away from London I would travel into London and live at home. I hoped that I would find a part-time job to cover travel expenses and any small expense e.g books.

However I have yet to secure a part-time job and now am constantly stressing about finding a job and this is getting me down. My parents are supporting me so far but they can only do this for so long as they are retired and using their savings. I therefore feel even worse and I am desperate for a job but at the same time I don't want to do a job that will be affect my studies.

I also feel as if I am the only one who struggles at university. Most of the people live in London and seem not to have a care in the world i just wonder if am the only one with money worries on my mind. I want to continue with studying but my morale is low. I guess am writing to get this off my chest but also any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by bluemountain

I am also feel as if I am the only one who struggles at university. Most of the people live in London and seem not to have a care in the world i just wonder if am the only one with money worries on my mind. I want to continue with studying but my morale is low. I guess am writing to get this off my chest but also any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

I know this feeling. It seems like a lot of postgrads are funded and/or have money from relatives to fund their time at university. But remember, you are being much braver by doing your degree without a pot of dosh being handed to you!
Live in the university library. It's free, and being a postgrad student, you'll be spending most of your time there anyway.
Reply 3
Original post by STARRS
I know this feeling. It seems like a lot of postgrads are funded and/or have money from relatives to fund their time at university. But remember, you are being much braver by doing your degree without a pot of dosh being handed to you!

Thanks for the encouragement, i need to hear something positive cause right now am just all over the place. Do you study/live in london too?
You're definitely not alone - I think most people struggle with money. My best friend at uni (I'm a PhD student at one of the University of London colleges) is on AHRC funding and yet she cycles everyone and is constantly counting pennies, even though she has full funding! And then there's me with no funding apart from a 'consumables' allowance from SFE for Disabled Students' Allowance, trying to make things work and being like :grumble:

I guess what I'm trying to say is that even if people don't talk about it, a lot of people struggle to afford studying in London. It's very expensive, there's no two ways about it, and it's hard to make ends meet.

Your university might have a part-time careers fair or something - they'll definitely have a careers service/office where you can find out more about how to get a part-time job. It won't be easy but just keep chugging away at it - hopefully something will come up soon :hugs: Also bear in mind that your university will almost certainly have a hardship fund, which you should be eligble for, so long as you've paid the fees :yes:
Thanks for the encouragement, i need to hear something positive cause right now am just all over the place. Do you study/live in london too?

I'm at Brum, but I have a tiny budget, and I'm feeling really stretched, especially when everyone's social life seems to revolve around expensive meals out in pricey restaurants, and I can hardly afford food for my everyday meals. Needless to say, I turn down a lot of social invitations. But I feel like the challenge will be worth it, hopefully!
Reply 6
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
You're definitely not alone - I think most people struggle with money. My best friend at uni (I'm a PhD student at one of the University of London colleges) is on AHRC funding and yet she cycles everyone and is constantly counting pennies, even though she has full funding! And then there's me with no funding apart from a 'consumables' allowance from SFE for Disabled Students' Allowance, trying to make things work and being like :grumble:

I guess what I'm trying to say is that even if people don't talk about it, a lot of people struggle to afford studying in London. It's very expensive, there's no two ways about it, and it's hard to make ends meet.

Your university might have a part-time careers fair or something - they'll definitely have a careers service/office where you can find out more about how to get a part-time job. It won't be easy but just keep chugging away at it - hopefully something will come up soon :hugs: Also bear in mind that your university will almost certainly have a hardship fund, which you should be eligble for, so long as you've paid the fees :yes:

I guess its comforting to know am not alone but sad at the same time that people are going through this. I am not eligible for the hardship fund don't really want to go into the reason why. I am trying to be postive about it but my moods are constantly changing. One minute am like i can do it and the next am like this is too much. I guess cause i have never had to worry about money to this extent.
Reply 7
Original post by STARRS
I'm at Brum, but I have a tiny budget, and I'm feeling really stretched, especially when everyone's social life seems to revolve around expensive meals out in pricey restaurants, and I can hardly afford food for my everyday meals. Needless to say, I turn down a lot of social invitations. But I feel like the challenge will be worth it, hopefully!

Ok I guess i just need to realize that there are other people going through this too. Its just difficult cause i haven't been here before. Not saying i was well off but it has never affected me to this extent. i guess i just have to look at the end result. I literally feel so poor with all the students in my uni whipping out their macbooks.
I guess its comforting to know am not alone but sad at the same time that people are going through this. I am not eligible for the hardship fund don't really want to go into the reason why. I am trying to be postive about it but my moods are constantly changing. One minute am like i can do it and the next am like this is too much. I guess cause i have never had to worry about money to this extent.

Totally hear you on the Macbook thing, it seems like everyone in my department has a brand-spanking shiny new Mac and then there's me with my little Fujitsu from Disabled Students' Allowance :nopity: Sorry that you are not eligible for the hardship fund. Worrying about money is really hard and does definitely suck. Are you making the most of student-related perks, like Young Person's Railcards, student Oyster cards, etc?

Big hugs!
Reply 9
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Totally hear you on the Macbook thing, it seems like everyone in my department has a brand-spanking shiny new Mac and then there's me with my little Fujitsu from Disabled Students' Allowance :nopity: Sorry that you are not eligible for the hardship fund. Worrying about money is really hard and does definitely suck. Are you making the most of student-related perks, like Young Person's Railcards, student Oyster cards, etc?

Big hugs!

I have railcard and i just looked into a student oyster card and unfortunately I can't get it as i live outside London.
Ah what a bummer! I didn't realise there were such restrictions :no:
I have railcard and i just looked into a student oyster card and unfortunately I can't get it as i live outside London.

I thought a student railcard also gave discounts on Oyster routes apart from buses and trams? Am I wrong about that?
https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/adult-discounts-and-concessions/railcards#on-this-page-1

It's not something I've probed as I got my student oyster from living in London, but it looks as though you can still get discounts.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I thought a student railcard also gave discounts on Oyster routes apart from buses and trams? Am I wrong about that?
https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/adult-discounts-and-concessions/railcards#on-this-page-1

It's not something I've probed as I got my student oyster from living in London, but it looks as though you can still get discounts.

Thanks for this , I didn't know I could get discounts on my oyster card with my rail card however its only on off peak travel but it is still a saving!
Also if you join waitrose you get a free tea when you present your membership card in store. Handy if you have one nearby.
We need a postgrad moneysaving thread!
Reply 15
Sorry to hear, my friend. But things will get better.

I've just applied to UoL... I didn't think the non-academic side of life would be so brutal :frown:

All the best everyone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending