The Student Room Group

Alevel history - whats it like really

Hi,
Im currently picking my alevles and I would like to know what alevel history is like... is it a lot different to GCSE history??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi - I'm in Y12 and so have been studying History at A-level for just over a month now. It is tough and in much more detail than GCSE, but if you enjoy it, it's very rewarding and really helps you think in different ways. I'm doing it with science subjects, so it's quite a contrast to my other subjects and is certainly a lot more work than say, Maths or Chemistry, at least at the moment.
It's a very rigorous A-level and is well looked upon by universities, and equips you with lots of transferable skills for the future. If you enjoy History at GCSE and are reasonably good at it, it's likely you'll enjoy it at A-Level too, as long as you are prepared to put in a lot of extra study.
Original post by FaithKG
Hi,
Im currently picking my alevles and I would like to know what alevel history is like... is it a lot different to GCSE history??

I've found A level history to be harder than GCSE, it's knowledge plus technique. It took me a while to get my head around the fact that they're not asking for everything you know but rather what actually answers the question.
It's really interesting and I think it's definitely improved my thinking/'argument-forming' skills
Hope this helps, let me know if it doesn't!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by FaithKG
Hi,

I'm in Y12 and got an A at GCSE level and predicted a B for my AS.

It's hard, really hard.

Your 'breadth' unit is both in depth and breadth, unlike GCSE so there is A LOT to remember it's literally just called breadth because it's studying a longer period of time. Your 'depth' unit is in a huge amount of detail and you could be looking at a 30 year time period as well.

Luckily both your two units usually go together - so I'm doing Fascist Italy and Germany 1918-89, the fascism in 20th century Europe route for my AS!

It is really interesting though but there is a lot of writing, research, presenting and reading. Just for two exams I have 3 textbooks, 2 additional books and 5 extra reading books. The exam is also quite difficult with the way it works, however the depth unit is more like the GCSE exam. Your breadth unit is examined in a 2hr and 15min exam and you have to write 3 20 mark essays.

I am loving the depth we're going into, the essays and the fact we get to do presentations - AND MY CLASS HAS LIKE 5 OTHER PEOPLE IN!

It's taken like 8 weeks to 'bridge' the gap between GCSE and A-level, unlike my other subjects where it would be overcome in a week or even a day.
there are 25 mark questions...:s-smilie:
awful.
Original post by CoolCavy

45 mark for me at A2.
Original post by United1892
45 mark for me at A2.

*dies* omg :eek:
I did history at AS level and then dropped it. It was quite enjoyable but I found the essay writing stressful, as the amount of time you have in the exam is quite harsh considering how much you have to write.
Reply 9
I did A level OCR History for Tudor rebellions and Russia in turmoil, the course is pretty easy. For Tudor rebellions you just have to learn the rebellions and the factors in the rebellions and talk about sources and provenance. In Russia in turmoil you answer two essay questions on importance of a factor or how an individuals actions led to something etc, you just have to write about points link them, and use some key words and descriptions for high marks. It requires a lot to remember and lots of essay plans to learn.

It is similar to GCSE in some ways for analysing sources but the essay writing is a lot different.
*dies* omg :eek:

It's hard :frown:
45 mark for me at A2.

It does get easier though I think. The 45 markers are better than 25..less tedious.

Do you do edexcel?
45 mark for me at A2.

#reasonswhyiamonlydoingtheas

I've got 45 markers in politics next year though, *throws up*
Reply 14
Original post by Zedna
Hi - I'm in Y12 and so have been studying History at A-level for just over a month now. It is tough and in much more detail than GCSE, but if you enjoy it, it's very rewarding and really helps you think in different ways. I'm doing it with science subjects, so it's quite a contrast to my other subjects and is certainly a lot more work than say, Maths or Chemistry, at least at the moment.
It's a very rigorous A-level and is well looked upon by universities, and equips you with lots of transferable skills for the future. If you enjoy History at GCSE and are reasonably good at it, it's likely you'll enjoy it at A-Level too, as long as you are prepared to put in a lot of extra study.

oh right okay! :smile: thankyou
I used to think I liked essays. After my grades I didn't.

I like history. Some aspects are boring but It's worth it to learn more about the past and how things worked then. I'm better at science though but picked History because I enjoyed it. If it's something you like then you should do it as you would get better grades but for some reason It didn't work that way for me (general consensus in my subject is that they need to change the way they're teaching as they've marked our essays wrong internally and so when we had our exams they were underperformed). To be clear I got a grade C, but am capable of A grades.
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
It does get easier though I think. The 45 markers are better than 25..less tedious.

Yeah but they're so long they hurt your hand.
Hey :smile:
For me, A level history led on quite nicely from GCSE, there wasn't a huge jump in anything other than workload. Be prepared to do a lot of work- but sometimes the work can be really interesting as you're getting really deeply into a subject and find that you can really debate and analyse historical themes. The amount you learn is really amazing, but it doesn't come without lots of hard work. Also, if your school offers a topic that you're not really interested in, I wouldn't recommend it- I did history to AS, got an A, but then dropped it because I had no interest whatsoever in either of the A2 topics and I'd found the first few weeks painfully boring.
Basically, if the topics your school covers interest you: do it!! If not, it's an awful lot of work for something you won't really enjoy.
Reply 18
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
awful.

why?
Reply 19
Original post by Jess_x
I've found A level history to be harder than GCSE, it's knowledge plus technique. It took me a while to get my head around the fact that they're not asking for everything you know but rather what actually answers the question.
It's really interesting and I think it's definitely improved my thinking/'argument-forming' skills
Hope this helps, let me know if it doesn't!

yes it does thankyou :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest