The Student Room Group

Tell me what it is about beer you like cuz Im sure people only drink it to look cool.

Beer doesn't have a sweet taste, infact its bitter, so why do so many people like it? I often think it is to appear cool and manly and a "lad". I think people drink it as a cultural thing not because they enjoy the taste. The only other reason I can think of is that people drink it to feel the affects of alcohol.

Scroll to see replies

I used to drink beer all the time, it was alright in terms of taste. Though as I've got older I prefer sweeter things and either get shandy or cider (and yes, I couldn't give a **** if people think I'm a kid for liking shandy).
Reply 2
Original post by Sabertooth
I used to drink beer all the time, it was alright in terms of taste. Though as I've got older I prefer sweeter things and either get shandy or cider (and yes, I couldn't give a **** if people think I'm a kid for liking shandy).
I've tried alot of beers, but I find that they all pretty much have that same dirty drain water taste.

Can't stand shandy myself, it's just too sickeningly sweet for me, but I prefer cider to beer as well.

Beer's alright, I couldn't stand it when I first started drinking, I just used to drink it to get drunk.
Original post by Souljer
Beer doesn't have a sweet taste, infact its bitter, so why do so many people like it? I often think it is to appear cool and manly and a "lad". I think people drink it as a cultural thing not because they enjoy the taste. The only other reason I can think of is that people drink it to feel the affects of alcohol.

I don't mind the taste, a nice cold beer can taste really nice. But yeah, I don't usually drink it for the taste, more the feeling.
It is yucky :yucky:
Original post by Zargabaath
Can't stand shandy myself, it's just too sickeningly sweet for me, but I prefer cider to beer as well.

Beer's alright, I couldn't stand it when I first started drinking, I just used to drink it to get drunk.

I used to buy 3 cans of "shandy" for 1 pound in Poundland. It was like 0.5% but tasted so delicious. :biggrin:
It tastes good (on whole) and it gets you drunk.. what's not to like?
I used to buy 3 cans of "shandy" for 1 pound in Poundland. It was like 0.5% but tasted so delicious. :biggrin:

The only drink I can't stand more than shandy is ice cream soda. My dad sometimes got Tesco own brand shandy and I remember downing a glass of it as a kid thinking I was super hardcore then feeling really sick. Bad memories :s-smilie:
Original post by Zargabaath

The only drink I can't stand more than shandy is ice cream soda. My dad sometimes got Tesco own brand shandy and I remember downing a glass of it as a kid thinking I was super hardcore then feeling really sick. Bad memories :s-smilie:

:rofl:

You mean the Tesco 2L one for like 54p? It's good stuff! :biggrin:

And damn, I love cream soda! Not forgetting root beer - bought a 6 pack of alcoholic root beer this morning, very much looking forward to it. :drool:
:rofl:

You mean the Tesco 2L one for like 54p? It's good stuff! :biggrin:

And damn, I love cream soda! Not forgetting root beer - bought a 6 pack of alcoholic root beer this morning, very much looking forward to it. :drool:

Oh god, you've just reminded me of another drink I hate, I tried a root beer slushy in America. It was vile. I'll stick to my Irn-Bru and ginger beer thank you very much :biggrin:.
Reply 11
Original post by Souljer

Have you considered that others not you actually enjohy taste, it actually is nice after a hard days work when you are looking for something strong and hard and manly, if you dont like bitter then theres others. Many people think its tastes great and has the effect of making one more social and confident so great
beer and alcohol are disgusting

I only drink beer at pre parties and clubs as i dont really think about the taste much

strongbow darkfruit is alright though
To get drunk. :u:
I remember when I left home around 2002 getting 4 cans of Tesco Value lager for like 20p even then I could barely drink it, I think what I did was get a good quality can and empty the contents of the Tesco one in it whilst walking down the street.

But in those days I was able to get 50p vodka and mixers at student bars and £1 pints of Carlsberg or the like, even pubs did £10 promotions of all you can drink before midnight (but was like a quarter of a can of Red Bull for a shot of the cheapest Tesco Value vodka) and the queues meant you only got one or two drinks anyway.
They want to get beer bellies, of course :colonhash: Never liked alcoholic beer, to me it's like urine, I prefer non-alcoholic beer :colone:
I like the taste of some beer. Lawless is really good.
I'd rather beer was categorised in the same class as vodka, disgusting to taste but pretty effective but people still claim they enjoy the taste. Pretty astounding.
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
I'd rather beer was categorised in the same class as vodka, disgusting to taste but pretty effective but people still claim they enjoy the taste. Pretty astounding.

Some vodka actually tastes really good. Most people end up basing their entire view of vodka on Smirnoff which tastes like paint stripper. If you try something a little more up market like Chase or Żubrówka it is much crisper and actually quite nice straight on the rocks.
Original post by DiddyDec
Some vodka actually tastes really good. Most people end up basing their entire view of vodka on Smirnoff which tastes like paint stripper. If you try something a little more up market like Chase or Żubrówka it is much crisper and actually quite nice straight on the rocks.

The general public don't tend to go for upmarket stuff though, the classic 4 pack beer in tesco sells very well and I'm pretty sure it tastes like watered down toilet water. Why do people actually drink this stuff?

Quick Reply