The Student Room Group

Anyone worked for Next?

Hey! I have a bit of a problem. I got offered a job at Sainsbury's phone shop which is a permanent role however I have also been offered an interview for Next which is slightly more money and something I'm more interested in doing however it's only a temporary role. Just wondering if anyone works for Next and could tell me what the chances are that they keep me on after Christmas? I might not even get the job but is it worth going for the interview or should I just stick with the phone shop job? Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by abieelucas
Hey! I have a bit of a problem. I got offered a job at Sainsbury's phone shop which is a permanent role however I have also been offered an interview for Next which is slightly more money and something I'm more interested in doing however it's only a temporary role. Just wondering if anyone works for Next and could tell me what the chances are that they keep me on after Christmas? I might not even get the job but is it worth going for the interview or should I just stick with the phone shop job? Thanks

My brother used to work for next and left within a few months but I'm sure they'll keep you till December though but that's if they accept you after the interview? Do you want the job only till Christmas?
Reply 2
The job is until January but i would like to be kept on permanently :-)
Reply 3
The job is until January but i would like to be kept on permanently :-)

Well if it's till January I don't think they'll want you for longer sorry "/
I have worked for both companies. I would personally recommend Sainsbury's over Next. Next has a high turnover of staff and does not invest as much time or money intro training as Sainsbury's. I'm very surprised that Next is offering you more money as they usually pay close to the NMW. Also, Next won't necessarily keep you on.

Good luck whatever you choose!
Reply 5
Original post by mellow_yellow
I have worked for both companies. I would personally recommend Sainsbury's over Next. Next has a high turnover of staff and does not invest as much time or money intro training as Sainsbury's. I'm very surprised that Next is offering you more money as they usually pay close to the NMW. Also, Next won't necessarily keep you on.

Good luck whatever you choose!

Thank you for your great answer :-) Money-wise it was only more because they were offering more hours, however I guess it's a safer option going for Sainsbury's knowing it's permanent. Would love to find a job in fashion that is permanent and more hours though!
Thank you for your great answer :-) Money-wise it was only more because they were offering more hours, however I guess it's a safer option going for Sainsbury's knowing it's permanent. Would love to find a job in fashion that is permanent and more hours though!

You're welcome, it's just my opinion and it's entirely up to you what you want to do. It depends really what you are you looking for: Sainsbury's is the safer option if you're looking for a steady income and job security. There's always the possibility of switching departments once you're in the company and you could move to TU clothing which could be more relevant to what you want to do. It's not guaranteed, but something worth thinking about it. Also, with the security of a permanent job you can concentrate on looking for other jobs that might interest you.

If you're looking for a career in fashion I can see why Next would appeal to you. Although they are not the best company to work for, it would be more relevant experience to the career you are hoping for. Also with Christmas coming up there should be opportunities in various clothes retailers such as Debenhams, H&M etc if you want to try apply for something different altogether!

Best of luck!
I worked for Next in their summer sale and as you've said pay is really good.

I found the training sufficient and the job was enjoyable for the most part.

If you impress them in the period then they'll keep you on. I spoke to some there who started off as Christmas temps so its definitely possible for them to keep you on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending