The Student Room Group

How can non-native speaker improve his English writing.

Vague, undigested, and what you mean ????!!! these some examples of the feedback that I received :frown: I really don't know what's wrong.
when I was learn English they told me good writing is linked with reading skills. I start reading but still I didn't thing my writing is improved.
I really appreciate your help and advises.
Original post by Himo2013
Vague, undigested, and what you mean ????!!! these some examples of the feedback that I received :frown: I really don't know what's wrong.
when I was learn English they told me good writing is linked with reading skills. I start reading but still I didn't thing my writing is improved.

I don't want to sound discouraging but you must sort out your grammar as a priority. Just in this short post we have the following (I've put the corrections in bold italic type):

"These some examples - should be: "These are some examples"
"When I was learn English" - should be: "When I was learning English..."
"I start reading" - should be "I started reading"

And what about agreement of tenses in this bit:

"I didn't thing my writing is improved" should be - "I don't think my writing has improved".

Your "advises" is a verb; you need the noun: advice which is always singular.

So your first step to improving your English writing has to be improving your grammar - and particularly your use of tenses!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Thank you Anna, your feedback better than I received during my study. :smile: I will start searching in tutor hunt to find tutor to sort me out. Thank you.
Thank you Anna, your feedback better than I received during my study. :smile: I will start searching in tutor hunt to find tutor to sort me out. Thank you.

What is your first language? Just out of interest.

Perphaps watch some posh tv, made in chelsea, bbc news, antics road show get a english dictionary but i would've said reading too, you'll catch on soon mate don't worry .
Reply 5
Original post by beyknowles2
What is your first language? Just out of interest.

My first language is Arabic. I think it has an impact in my English writing. I usually think in my first language then translate it in English which as they say is poor practice !!
Reply 6
Original post by Cornflakes1688
Perphaps watch some posh tv, made in chelsea, bbc news, antics road show get a english dictionary but i would've said reading too, you'll catch on soon mate don't worry .

Thank you for your advice. I will start to watch what you are recommended.
Thank you for your advice. I will start to watch what you are recommended.

Well at least you can write very easily understandable English, it has some errors but it's pretty clear what you are aiming to say. The poster above has put it very well on what you require improvement on.
Reply 8
Original post by RiskVsReward
Well at least you can write very easily understandable English, it has some errors but it's pretty clear what you are aiming to say. The poster above has put it very well on what you require improvement on.

Thank you, happy to hear that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending