The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CoolCavy
This is so sad. It isn't even that he poached the elephant to sell the ivory to feed his family. He did it for pure sickening 'fun'. Dispicable

http://www.youtubesub.com/news?id=14708&Anger-biggest-elephant-shot-living-memory-killed-German-hunter-Zimbabwean-game-park

:frown:

horrible.
here are some pictures if you can bear them (WARNING upsetting images), the thing that gets me is how happy and pleased with himself the hunter looks :frown::

Spoiler

Such a shame, why would anyone even consider doing something like that? :frown:
Original post by Leviathan1741
Such a shame, why would anyone even consider doing something like that? :frown:

ikr :sad:
Reply 5
I don't understand hunting. If someone took on an elephant in hand to hand combat and won, I would be seriously impressed (and check if it was April 1st). But if you have a powerful gun there's very little skill involved on the part of the hunter, with most of the skill being the gun makers who made something able to fire such a large calibre.
Wow shooting an animal from a distance with a rifle and waiting for it to die, so alpha predator. If he's going to do it for some sort of exhilaration/adrenaline rush give the guy machete and let him get his hands dirty...I'll be putting my money on the elephant tbh.
Original post by Hopple
I don't understand hunting. If someone took on an elephant in hand to hand combat and won, I would be seriously impressed (and check if it was April 1st). But if you have a powerful gun there's very little skill involved on the part of the hunter, with most of the skill being the gun makers who made something able to fire such a large calibre.

Original post by joey11223
Wow shooting an animal from a distance with a rifle and waiting for it to die, so alpha predator. If he's going to do it for some sort of exhilaration/adrenaline rush give the guy machete and let him get his hands dirty...I'll be putting my money on the elephant tbh.

exactly. it is totally an unfair fight and this is why i find it incomprehensible he looks proud 1)because firstly who would want to be proud of killing something so majestic and 2) because it would have been easy for him to kill it. It is sort of like canned hunting in a way, the animal has no chance to fight back :frown:
Original post by CoolCavy
It is sort of like canned hunting in a way, the animal has no chance to fight back :frown:

Tbh I can still sometimes understand that as a conversation tool as controversial as it is. Lions/Tigers all over the world are euthanized at zoos when they're bred yet not needing in the zoological community (though obviously WAZA membership and the like is meant to co-ordinate to limit this), if letting some rich bloke pay £50,000 to shot an old Lion, particularly if captive bred anyway, gives a lot of funding to help conversation projects, maybe it's a necessary evil at times.
That is pretty expensive. For that price he could have bought at least 3 lions. Not even joking.

http://hunting-africa.co.za/ads/leeus-te-koop-lions-for-sale/
Hopefully, one day that guy becomes the prey.
It would only have been a fair fight if he went in without weapons, the majestic elephant probably wouldn't have touched him or even perceived such a lowly, inferior human being as a threat, same with that cowardly American dentist. My Dad always said humans are the worst thing to happen to this planet and he's right. :frown:

Rest in peace all animals who are victims of pure apathy and callousness, the evil of humanity can affect you no longer.
Original post by selfteaching
It would only have been a fair fight if he went in without weapons, the majestic elephant probably wouldn't have touched him or even perceived such a lowly, inferior human being as a threat, same with that cowardly American dentist. My Dad always said humans are the worst thing to happen to this planet and he's right. :frown:

Rest in peace all animals who are victims of pure apathy and callousness, the evil of humanity can affect you no longer.

Nature isn't fair.

Humans have superior intelligence and opposable thumbs which allow us to use tools and design the perfect tools for the job. Which in this case would be a 600 nitro.
Dafuk? I could've spent that money way better :s-smilie:
Original post by DiddyDec
Nature isn't fair.

Humans have superior intelligence and opposable thumbs which allow us to use tools and design the perfect tools for the job. Which in this case would be a 600 nitro.

I agree nature isn't fair, but killing usually serves as a mean to an end, mostly the food chain etc. (I'm a vegetarian but I still acknowledge this) and I am surrounded by meat eaters who are animal lovers and they would agree murdering majestic creatures in cold blood is cowardly.

Yes humans invented guns, but did these two self gratifying idiots gather raw materials and construct weapons of their own, or go out into the actual wild on a hunt (maybe for survival) no- they paid to enter a national park or den which serves as supposed sanctuaries for the animals, the guns were manufactured and purchased, it's a cop out, I use electricity, doesn't mean I discovered/harnessed it and the use of guns and human intelligence has little to do with this matter, I think it's about morality and empathy.

I can't possibly fathom what there is to gain in a senseless killing such as this. It just satisfies their enormous egos accompanied by their sociopathic smiles next to the carcasses. What was the point?

(sorry hope that didn't come across as a rant aimed at you, I'm just venting my general frustrations with cases such as these)
Original post by selfteaching
I agree nature isn't fair, but killing usually serves as a mean to an end, mostly the food chain etc. (I'm a vegetarian but I still acknowledge this) and I am surrounded by meat eaters who are animal lovers and they would agree murdering majestic creatures in cold blood is cowardly.

Yes humans invented guns, but did these two self gratifying idiots gather raw materials and construct weapons of their own, or go out into the actual wild on a hunt (maybe for survival) no- they paid to enter a national park or den which serves as supposed sanctuaries for the animals, the guns were manufactured and purchased, it's a cop out, I use electricity, doesn't mean I discovered/harnessed it and the use of guns and human intelligence has little to do with this matter, I think it's about morality and empathy.

I can't possibly fathom what there is to gain in a senseless killing such as this. It just satisfies their enormous egos accompanied by their sociopathic smiles next to the carcasses. What was the point?

(sorry hope that didn't come across as a rant aimed at you, I'm just venting my general frustrations with cases such as these)

For a start, it is impossible to murder animals by the very definition of the word.

Meat eaters who could not kill an animal in my books have zero standing on the subject of hunting. They are hypocrites. If they love animals so much they shouldn't eat them. Therefore they are selective animal lovers.

Hunting in a national park isn't much different from actual wild hunting, they are still huge expanses of land and it can still take days to track the animal. Just so you can get an understanding of the size of this park, it is about 500,000 hectares which is a quarter of the size of Wales.

The point of hunting is that it is fun. I'm sure that the money they spent on entering the park will be used to better the lives of other animals and it is people like these hunters who actually help fund conservation.

I am only guessing here but I'm sure the meat from this elephant will not be wasted whether to goes to feed humans or the animals in the park. So some good will have come from this hunt.

I hunt, I shoot and I once tried fishing but I sucked at it.
I don't agree with you on much, but this I agree with.
Disgusting.

How about Zimbabwe sort out their corrupt and ineffective government before attempting to raise funds for "conservation" with hunting permits.
I don't think its quite the same thing. I don't eat a lot of meat (mostly just chicken and mince) but most of the meat people eat come from animals that are bred for that purpose. I'm not trying to defend that, but I do think there is a difference between lifting a packet of pork chops from a shelf and cooking them, to actually shooting the pig yourself and enjoying it.

On the other hand, this guy has paid nearly £40,000 for the satisfaction of killing a defenceless animal. To me, that is completely sick. He will celebrate his 'huge accomplishment', boast about it and then he will move on and kill something else. He should be locked up.
I'm vegetarian & find the meat industry appalling. However, I think most people eat meat because they're conditioned into seeing it as the norm & with the prepacked meat you get in supermarkets its so easy not to think about the animal its come from, process of slaughter etc. I'm not sure telling people they have blood on their hands & talking about 'poor little animals' is the best way to get people to consider the other side of things. I used to say things like this when I was younger. I made the decision to go veggie after seeing some videos about the meat industry online & finding them pretty upsetting. I've found using that kind of emotive language is more likely to get me laughed at or people just switch off to the argument. Now if people ask me why I'm vegetarian I'll say I don't agree with the way animals are treated in the meat industry & maybe suggest they should do a bit of research into it.
Going back to the issue of hunting I really don't understand the mentality behind it. If we were talking about hunting something because they were going to eat it I'd still disagree with it but at least there'd be an obvious reason why they were doing it. Killing an animal purely for the sake of killing it is just sick.

Latest

Trending

Trending