The Student Room Group

Need help with obscene housemate

Hi everyone.

I'm a fresher. I've been here for >3 weeks and having a great time. Everyone in my house is really nice except for this one girl.

I thought she was cool at first but she keeps making these really lewd jokes. For example, today I asked her what I can do with my 80p and she told me to buy a prostitute. Also, a guy in my house had a broken wrist and she accused him of excessive masturbation.

This makes me really uncomfortable and I really need help. Should I confront her and tell her to stop? It makes me upset because I feel very uncomfortable about sex and when she talks this way it makes me feel weird.

I am a guy and I don't know if maybe she just really fancies me. Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thedominator
Hi everyone.

I'm a fresher. I've been here for >3 weeks and having a great time. Everyone in my house is really nice except for this one girl.

I thought she was cool at first but she keeps making these really lewd jokes. For example, today I asked her what I can do with my 80p and she told me to buy a prostitute. Also, a guy in my house had a broken wrist and she accused him of excessive masturbation.

This makes me really uncomfortable and I really need help. Should I confront her and tell her to stop? It makes me upset because I feel very uncomfortable about sex and when she talks this way it makes me feel weird.

Seems rather petty to moan about tbh. As long as it's not incredibly offensive I can't see the issue.

Man up OP.
Reply 2
Ease up mate. Just tell her that it's unlikely a prostitute would go below the minimum wage. As to the wrist quip, well that is quite witty..
Reply 3
Gotta admit the wrist thing was clever; as for the prostitute thing, sounds like she could take a joke - should've just responded: "OK, well here's 80p...."

Posted from TSR Mobile

:lol: :lol:

But seriously, toughen the **** up; the real world is going to chew you up and spit you out otherwise!

Edit - and your name is The Dominator?! :lol:
(edited 8 years ago)
a guy in my house had a broken wrist and she accused him of excessive masturbation.

I creased at that one...

(Completely off topic but I always wanted to be an optician for the day,
''Well Mr Jones, it seems your eyesight has deteriorated a little since you're last check-up...could I ask a personal question?...how many times a week?...roughly.'')

...but yeah sounds to me like she's just 'trying too hard'.

Could be worse...

"Also, a guy in my house had a broken wrist and she accused him of excessive masturbation."..... Do you want to swap housemates with me>????!!!11
Hi everyone.

Don't listen to the other idiots on here telling you to man up - if you a were woman and your male housemates made such jokes which made you uncomfortable, shouldn't you let them know?

Just tell her that you feel uncomfortable about the jokes she is making and ask for her to understand where you are coming from.

And I think you're taking a leap of faith thinking that she fancies you.
Original post by Bupdeeboowah
Don't listen to the other idiots on here telling you to man up - if you a were woman and your male housemates made such jokes which made you uncomfortable, shouldn't you let them know?

Just tell her that you feel uncomfortable about the jokes she is making and ask for her to understand where you are coming from.

If a woman had the same problem she should also either grow a (figurative) pair or move out. Same as OP.
Original post by Zargabaath
If a woman had the same problem she should also either grow a (figurative) pair or move out. Same as OP.
Why should one compromise one's principles and right to stay in the house, when one hasn't even tried to engage the housemate in discussing the lewd behaviour?

Complete nonsense.
Why should one compromise one's principles and right to stay in the house, when one hasn't even tried to engage the housemate in discussing the lewd behaviour?

Complete nonsense.

Why should one have the right to change someone else's behaviour when as far as societal standards go, one's housemate isn't actually doing anything wrong?

Complete narcissism.

Complete nonsense.

Why should one have the right to change someone else's behaviour when as far as societal standards go, one's housemate isn't actually doing anything wrong?

Complete narcissism.

Why are you both refering to one's self as one?

Complete idefk

OP, maybe put up with it for now, she could be saying a lot worse. If you still feel uncomfortable in a week or two, have a word with her about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sounds like you've found a very rare example of a female with a sense of humour.

Complete narcissism.
One should have every opportunity to be able to attempt to change one's circumstance, despite the said circumstance being socially acceptable. In the 70s sexism was rife in workplaces, though it was seen as being socially acceptable. What a long way society has come from this, all because people took the opportunity to try changing such attitudes.

And to be coping with something one finds unpalatable without trying to influence change in the situation is just complete stupidity.
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
Edit - and your name is The Dominator?! :lol:

What's wrong with that? My name is Dominic, or 'Dom' for short. My friends at home call me 'the dominator' because it's a play on words.

I think it's rude that you all want me to 'man up'. I am more of a man than any of you, flaming me behind your computer screens.
What's wrong with that? My name is Dominic, or 'Dom' for short. My friends at home call me 'the dominator' because it's a play on words.

I think it's rude that you all want me to 'man up'. I am more of a man than any of you, flaming me behind your computer screens.

Well obviously not since you can't take someone's jokes and are moaning about them behind a computer screen. Maybe this website is more suited for you.

http://www.tumblr.com
(edited 8 years ago)

Why do people always find the need to switch genders to make a point? It's equally as whiny regardless of gender, in actuality the women would probably get an award for putting up with an oppressive man and the man would be expelled from university.
One should have every opportunity to be able to attempt to change one's circumstance, despite the said circumstance being socially acceptable. In the 70s sexism was rife in workplaces, though it was seen as being socially acceptable. What a long way society has come from this, all because people took the opportunity to try changing such attitudes.

And to be coping with something one finds unpalatable without trying to influence change in the situation is just complete stupidity.

Difference between changing attitudes and have to change yourself because anything you could potentially say could trigger some whiner.
Sounds like pretty standard student humour tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone.

sounds like top banter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending