The Student Room Group

So, 18,000 junior Doctors are going on strike today. Does anyone care?

TITLE MISTAKE: Should be MARCHING, NOT going on strike.

Apparently it has something to with the 7 day work week proposed by Jeremy Hunt. They're also proposing removing safeguards set-up to prevent Doctors from working too many hours. https://www.facebook.com/events/1695649857321169/ If The DoH doesn't succumb to their demands, they're proposing strike action.

Surely, as fully-signed up members to progressive group think, they'll be in favour of mass immigration? What's stopping us from just replacing them with migrant Doctors if there's a mass exodus?

Really, everyone is replaceable with migrants. One gigantic pool of labour - what's more, we can rely on poorer, foreign countries to subsidise their training and we can just import them on the cheap. Anyone would think the trade unions would be opposed to such an ideology, but alas...

Or maybe we should question why there's a pressure on Doctors to work longer hours? Of course, it has nothing to do with importing 320,000 people every year.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I couldn't care one bit, they will be just be ignored as do every other rioter and protester

While a supporter of controlled migration I would happily replace them with migrant doctors, the tube drivers too and any of these Union backing workers.
(edited 8 years ago)
and people want to go into medicine :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
I couldn't care less.

I'm in favour of the government's proposals because they will deter people who are "in it for the perks" from doing medicine.
Honestly, I think members of certain professions such as junior doctors, such as teachers, are treated so appallingly by the government that it is very important for them to show their disdain by marching or striking. They should not be shamed for doing so, but applauded. The government has no idea what it is like to work in such professions and insist on placing more and more pressure on them. Protesting is one of the only ways we can fight back.:sadnod:
Considering even the tory backbencher who was in charge of the negotiations under the coalition has said that the current government has made a mess of it, yes I care.

It's cute that you guys don't see any logistical problems with instantly replacing thousands of doctors with foreigners who speak English as a foreign language and would probably rather go to a more lucrative country anyway. I mean, I'm sure there would be no drop off in care if that happened.
Original post by SmashConcept
Considering even the tory backbencher who was in charge of the negotiations under the coalition has said that the current government has made a mess of it, yes I care.

It's cute that you guys don't see any logistical problems with instantly replacing thousands of doctors with foreigners who speak English as a foreign language and would probably rather go to a more lucrative country anyway. I mean, I'm sure there would be no drop off in care if that happened.

Of course there would be but surely that's what mass immigration is for?

It's 'open borders.' It's the 'global economy.' Mass immigration is good for the economy, no? Let's prove it.

Why bother training our own doctors when we can just rely on poorer foreign countries to subsidise the training of our workforce? We can just pinch their labour. Everyone wins! :smile:
Original post by littlenorthernlass
Honestly, I think members of certain professions such as junior doctors, such as teachers, are treated so appallingly by the government that it is very important for them to show their disdain by marching or striking. They should not be shamed for doing so, but applauded. The government has no idea what it is like to work in such professions and insist on placing more and more pressure on them. Protesting is one of the only ways we can fight back.:sadnod:

So why do you dislike the labour party so much when they are the party that defends these professions?

"Protesting is one of the only ways we can fight back" Also you have no idea how left wing you sound :teehee:
(edited 8 years ago)
Unfair changes but WTF @ some of the quotes from that FB page!!

Don't forget to turn your Tinder on later everyone

Eggs?

I'll bring flour :wink:

I am left wing, but (perhaps because I am from Sweden) some British left wingers can be rather aggressive when protesting etc... or a little crude, it makes me hard for them to like them...
@billydisco educated and well paid professionals do kick up fusses as you can see.

OP is very anti immigration his post is satire
Original post by TheCitizenAct
Of course there would be but surely that's what mass immigration is for?

It's 'open borders.' It's the 'global economy.' Mass immigration is good for the economy, no? Let's prove it.

Why bother training our own doctors when we can just rely on poorer foreign countries to subsidise the training of our workforce? We can just pinch their labour. Everyone wins! :smile:

I don't really know what you're arguing here. You seem to have made the thread about two completely different topics so that you can ignore opinions related to either one of them.
Original post by SwedishRedhead

I know the OP is anti-immigration. I don't see what the current dispute about doctor contracts has to do with it.
I don't really know what you're arguing here. You seem to have made the thread about two completely different topics so that you can ignore opinions related to either one of them.

Not at all.

1. I would argue that importing 320,000 per year will have an impact on the number of hours Doctors have to work.

2. I would argue that if this is our mentality - screw residents, prioritise the world - then we should stick to it. Just import more Doctors who are willing to work for less. It's not like we've not already imported plumbers, carpenters, builders and a lot more besides, many of whom are willing to work longer and for less. Why is it only a problem when it impacts Doctors?
Original post by Oak16
I am applying to medicine this year and I am one of the people who isn't in it 'for the perks' as you put it. Junior doctors don't have these monetary perks you speak of. Do your research before you assume things. I will come out of uni with so much debt, and no student loan debt because I am a graduate entry student and hence get very little support. I will have to fund these next 5 years by myself! That is an extreme financial burden. So to then graduate and receive a salary that will not allow me to pay off my debts as well as as live a normal, comfortable life, that is clearly NOT fair. It puts added stress on JDs and will consequently have an impact on patient care. So I disagree with you and the Government's proposals.

In reality, professionals such as paramedics and firemen are probably the ones who are under the most stress at any given time. You don't see them complaining.

Junior doctors think they've got it so hard when they actually haven't.

Slander. My girlfriend is Sri Lankan.

It's the difference between saying 'black men are criminals' and 'a tiny minority of black men are criminals.' One is prejudicial and fallacious, the other is borderline accurate.

I'm opposed to mass immigration. Then again, so is every minority group in The UK.
I know the OP is anti-immigration. I don't see what the current dispute about doctor contracts has to do with it.

His arguing for more migrant doctors is satire (not saying you missed it some of the other posts may have) :smile:

Most Competitive
In reality, professionals such as paramedics and firemen are probably the ones who are under the most stress at any given time. You don't see them complaining.

I don't know much about the NHS but the hours seem unfair, having said that even as a left winger in Sweden I find some of the British left (whom the NHS is full of) very unlikable, some of the posts on that FB page illustrate that
Unfair changes but WTF @ some of the quotes from that FB page!!

I am left wing, but (perhaps because I am from Sweden) some British left wingers can be rather aggressive when protesting etc... or a little crude, it makes me hard for them to like them...

I guess you have never heard of the French then, they stormed into a board meeting, dragged the board members out and even tore one's shirt off and tied him up, all while yelling "we'll lay you off" (as the board wanted to lay off/sack a load of workers)

I'd also presume the eggs comment is a joke, funny or not, about the previous people's assembly march in manchester where a tory went to the protesters, and held up a copy of the telegraph which had a photo of thatcher on the front, so one protester threw an egg at them.
Original post by TheCitizenAct
Not at all.

1. I would argue that importing 320,000 per year will have an impact on the number of hours Doctors have to work.

I don't know the numbers, but I doubt this is a very significant factor. A high proportion of these immigrants are working age men. The ageing population and cuts to related services are the biggest factors related to NHS workload. Immigration doesn't contribute a whole lot to either.

2. I would argue that if this is our mentality - screw residents, prioritise the world - then we should stick to it. Just import more Doctors who are willing to work for less. It's not like we've not already imported plumbers, carpenters, builders and a lot more besides, many of whom are willing to work longer and for less. Why is it only a problem when it impacts Doctors?

Well this new contract is not a result of immigration "impacting" doctors. And we can't scab them with immigrants because of 1. the law and 2. the logistical problems with replacing 55,000 employees with immigrants who probably don't want to come here in the first place.
Original post by Most Competitive

last I checked the firefighters were protesting on Thursday iirc outside the houses of parliament, so yeah I do see them complaining

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending