The Student Room Group

Thoughts on open relationships?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CoolCavy
oh......why would anyone want that though? :s-smilie: thanks for explaining both of you :h:

The reason people would want that is because it makes a relationship my adventurous and according to reports keeps relationships healthy. There is no paranoia and sexual urges are released so the relationship can proceed positively.

Why would someone not want an open relationship? It is the best of both worlds and keeps the peace.
Original post by RainbowKiwi
I'd prefer my partner to only be mine and me, theirs. Don't think open relationships are for me :/

Don't knock em until you try em. You will surprised how good and full filling they can be.
Original post by Gears265
The reason people would want that is because it makes a relationship my adventurous and according to reports keeps relationships healthy. There is no paranoia and sexual urges are released so the relationship can proceed positively.

Why would someone not want an open relationship? It is the best of both worlds and keeps the peace.

erm..well whatever floats ur boat. TBH i don't intend on having any type of relationship, open or closed :h:
Well, never been in relationship but the thought of another guy touching my man :unimpressed: ......
I think an open relationship is a reflection of the state of nature. It's fundamentally unnatural to spend your life having sex with one person. However, the ego - or the desire on the part of certain people to add meaning to the random combination of events we call 'life' - gets in the way.

It depends on a range of variables. If you're dating someone with a higher market value than you have, then you're probably going to be less inclined towards sharing. As you get older, and your market value decreases at varying rates (relatively speaking), the inclination towards openness will vary also. If a man is balding and has less opportunity for sex, he won't want to open it up. If a woman is sagging, or receiving less attention than she used to you, she'll be less likely to want to open it up.

It all orientates around self-interest, or what one perceives one can get. The problem with this approach to life is that, upon ageing, it opens you up to accusations of hypocrisy. It also creates a problem whereby, at the age of 30, as your attractiveness starts to go south, you've spent your entire life chasing sex and have decided that as you can no longer get what you want as freely as you used to be able to do, you want to close the relationship down. Well, that's not how life works. Once you're open you have to defend your openness, even as your market value decreases.

Now, at the age of 30, you're alone and with less market opportunity than you used to have. Sometimes, the best expression of self-interest is ignoring immediate gratification in favour of long-term gain.

To add another variable, I don't believe open relationships are good in relation to providing the type of stability children would need in a family setting.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by donutaud15
I won't judge because I think people have the right to live the life they want as long as they are consenting adults.

So you ignore common sense and morals. Well that's just the worst type of wishful thinking. Hey kids, doing meth is fine as long as you are consenting adults! :facepalm:

Original post by TheCitizenAct
I think an open relationship is a reflection of the state of nature. It's fundamentally unnatural to spend your life having sex with one person. However, the ego - or the desire on the part of certain people to add meaning to the random combination of events we call 'life' - gets in the way.

It depends on a range of variables. If you're dating someone with a higher market value than you have, then you're probably going to be less inclined towards sharing. As you get older, and your market value decreases at varying rates (relatively speaking), the inclination towards openness will vary also. If a man is balding and has less opportunity for sex, he won't want to open it up. If a woman is sagging, or receiving less attention than she used to you, she'll be less likely to want to open it up.

It all orientates around self-interest, or what one perceives one can get. The problem with this approach to life is that, upon ageing, it opens you up to accusations of hypocrisy. It also creates a problem whereby, at the age of 30, as your attractiveness starts to go south, you've spent your entire life chasing sex and have decided that as you can no longer get what you want as freely as you used to be able to do, you want to close the relationship down. Well, that's not how life works. Once you're open you have to defend your openness, even as your market value decreases.

Now, at the age of 30, you're alone and with less market opportunity than you used to have. Sometimes, the best expression of self-interest is ignoring immediate gratification in favour of long-term gain.

To add another variable, I don't believe open relationships are good in relation to providing the type of stability children would need in a family setting.

No it isn't. You do know many animals mate for life? Why do you think humans are not in that group and what should we be doing instead?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Jimbo1234
So you ignore common sense and morals. Well that's just the worst type of wishful thinking. Hey kids, doing meth is fine as long as you are consenting adults! :facepalm:

No it isn't. You do know many animals mate for life? Why do you think humans are not in that group and what should we be doing instead?

You do know many animals don't mate for life?
As far as I'm concerned, it's the way to go.

Normal relationships are just based on fairy tales.

Meth is a bit different since it's illegal. But for argument's sake let's say it's not illegal, it won't bother me just like open relationships don't. That's because it doesn't affect me. End of the day, none of my business.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Most Competitive
As far as I'm concerned, it's the way to go.

Normal relationships are just based on fairy tales.

who spurned you?
Original post by welcometoib
who spurned you?

My point is that you'll eventually get bored in a normal relationship. I speak from experience.
My point is that you'll eventually get bored in a normal relationship. I speak from experience.

How old are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by elliemayxo
How old are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok

Posted from TSR Mobile
Meth is a bit different since it's illegal. But for argument's sake let's say it's not illegal, it won't bother me just like open relationships don't. That's because it doesn't affect me. End of the day, none of my business.

So you don't have any morals. Well that's just terrible.
Also it does affect you as you have to exist with these people. If everyone was on meth then expect crime to drastically increase...but god forbid that people nowadays have foresight.

Enough animals do to make your argument invalid, and do you know what one of the main factors is when it comes to mammals being promiscuous, mating for life, or having a hareem?

Pahaha, really? At 21 you think you can speak from experience about getting bored in a relationship when, lets be honest, you still probably have no idea who you are or what you want.
(edited 8 years ago)
So you don't have any morals. Well that's just terrible.
Also it does affect you as you have to exist with these people. If everyone was on meth then expect crime to drastically increase...but god forbid that people nowadays have foresight.

Enough animals do to make your argument invalid, and do you know what one of the main factors is when it comes to mammals being promiscuous, mating for life, or having a hareem?

Pahaha, really? At 21 you think you can speak from experience about getting bored in a relationship when, lets be honest, you still probably have no idea who you are or what you want.

Here's another thing, I don't actually care what people think. You say I've no morals, your opinion. I don't care.

Just in case it's not clear, I don't give a flying **** about your opinion. I've said what I thought of open relationships. You're not gonna change my opinion. End of.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 56
From a scientific prospective am against open relationship because it will increase the probability of developing serious disease.

i.e. read about the cause of HIV no matter how much precuasion is made, different types of skin infection.

There is no such agreement that can be implimented practically, because emotional conflict will take its place in tearing the relationship apart.

I would give a new definition for open relationship, is be open to be with the one you love, so if a woman likes or love a man she can ask that man, and the other way round, that will increase the probability of being with the ones you love, and reduce the dangrous impact of relational conflict.
Reply 57

You do know many animals are asexual. You do know many animals have 6 legs.
Reply 58

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh no it doesn't affect me its none of my business I better be docile and just accept everything that happens as ok as long as it doesn't harm and affect me in the foreseeable future, lets just forget that our children and their children will have to live in this world
Original post by ShiraS
oh no it doesn't affect me its none of my business I better be docile and just accept everything that happens as ok as long as it doesn't harm and affect me in the foreseeable future, lets just forget that our children and their children will have to live in this world

Here's the thing, if I walk up to a meth addict and say they should stop it blah blah, would I make a change? Most likely not. Possibly end up stabbed. So why should I bother?

As for the effect it has on children etc, well our parents and their parents haven't eradicated drugs and all. Why can't we blame them? Maybe instead of bugging me about being docile, you should ask your parents and grandparents why they readily accept the world they live in and expect their children to live in it too?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest