The Student Room Group

Calculators

I didn't buy a graphical calculator for my A Level Maths exams but my maths teacher has recommended I purchase a graphical calculator for my Further Maths exams to check graphs and matrices.
I know one isn't necessary but I'm not sure how strict the regulations are about certain graphing calculators.
I was considering buying this one: http://www.amazon.com/Texas-Instruments-TI-Nspire-Graphing-Calculator/dp/B004NBZAW0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1445037025&sr=8-1&keywords=TI-Inspire

As I thought I will be able to take it to university with me as well and it would come in handy then.
However, it does seem to be a more advanced graphical calculator so I'm not sure if it would be allowed.
I believe this is allowed at A-level but I'm not sure.

What are you planning on doing at uni? A calculator isn't important for maths, you'll hardly ever use it. University maths exams either don't allow calculators or only allow basic models. For related subjects such as physics, the base functionality of a calculator is important but you won't need any of the other features often. University physics exams only allow basic models.

Graphical calculators are very handy for A-level, but paying the extra money is unnecessary. You'd be better off going for a low end or mid one, saving money and then you know for sure it's allowed in A-level exams.
Original post by morgan8002
I believe this is allowed at A-level but I'm not sure.

What are you planning on doing at uni? A calculator isn't important for maths, you'll hardly ever use it. University maths exams either don't allow calculators or only allow basic models. For related subjects such as physics, the base functionality of a calculator is important but you won't need any of the other features often. University physics exams only allow basic models.

Graphical calculators are very handy for A-level, but paying the extra money is unnecessary. You'd be better off going for a low end or mid one, saving money and then you know for sure it's allowed in A-level exams.

Alright, thanks for the advice. Is there any calculators you would recommend?
Original post by Windowswind123
Alright, thanks for the advice. Is there any calculators you would recommend?

You want something that can do standard scientific calculator stuff as well as draw cartesian graphs(polar and parametric form are useful too depending on which modules you take), sum functions, do numerical differentiation and definite integration, calculate matrices, numerically solve equations, work with complex numbers. Also, for statistics you want to be able to calculate summary statistics, perform statistical tests and do linear regression analysis.
The Casio fx-9750GII can do all of this and is much cheaper. I spent a bit more and got a 9860GII, but as far as I know the only difference between them is a slightly nicer interface and it performs complicated calculations faster(not usually an issue on the 9750 anyway). It's your choice.
Do have a look around other makes though to see if there's any others that have these functions for a similar price. I only use a Casio because I used them at school and everyone at my college had them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending