The Student Room Group

MEDICINE 2017 entry

Hi everyone, my name's Alessia and I'm almost 18.
I'm looking for info because I'd like to study medicine in the UK (I'm Italian and currently studying here at school)
I'm studying at a Language school so I don't have exceptional scientific skills. Is it a problem if I want to become a doctor? I mean, when I do the UKCAT or BMAT test, apply for uni and they call me for the interview, what kind of questions are there?
Are medical interviews science-based questions?
Thanks for you consideration,
ALESSIA :smile:
I don't know if it's the same for international student but home students are generally expected to have studied chemistry between 16 and 18 as A-levels (as well as biology to a lesser extent). If you haven't studied those or an equal qualification to a level it might make it difficult for you to get into normal medicine and you might have to look into medicine with a foundation year, although you'll meed superb stats because it's much more competitive than normal entry medicine
I also study chemistry, physics, maths and biology at school but I don't know if it's equivalent to A levels.
Can you tell me more about medicine with a foundation year? How does it work?
Original post by Docjones1
I don't know if it's the same for international student but home students are generally expected to have studied chemistry between 16 and 18 as A-levels (as well as biology to a lesser extent). If you haven't studied those or an equal qualification to a level it might make it difficult for you to get into normal medicine and you might have to look into medicine with a foundation year, although you'll meed superb stats because it's much more competitive than normal entry medicine
Original post by alessiatrombetta
I also study chemistry, physics, maths and biology at school but I don't know if it's equivalent to A levels.
Can you tell me more about medicine with a foundation year? How does it work?

If you're studying Chemistry it would be very unlikely you'd be able to get onto a foundation course because they're reserved for people without 16-18 education in Chemistry (and science in general.) Do you know what the qualification you're getting is called?
It's "Diploma di Stato" in Italian
Original post by Docjones1
If you're studying Chemistry it would be very unlikely you'd be able to get onto a foundation course because they're reserved for people without 16-18 education in Chemistry (and science in general.) Do you know what the qualification you're getting is called?
Original post by alessiatrombetta
It's "Diploma di Stato" in Italian

"Overall average of 93% in the Diploma di Esame di Stato (DES), including Biology or Chemistry and one other science subject with 94%." - from Cardiff University's medicine admissions instead of A-levels. I'd imagine it's a similar case with most other universities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending